Orbx announce FTX Global released

product_FTXG_top_image.jpg

The WHOLE world the way Orbx imagined it!

Welcome to your new simulator. No product in the history of FSX or P3D produces such an instant, radical and complete makeover like FTX Global does. Simply put, it transforms the washed out bland textures of the default palette into the vibrant rich and appealing Orbx FTX landscape - all with a simple installer. But the Orbx team did not stop with just new textures. Dormant classes and meshing tiles not used by default FSX have been unlocked so now unique types of terrain blend perfectly against each other the way they should. Then there is a new zero-FPS -loss night lighting system for the entire planet, including lighting of all major arterial roads in and out of cities. Finally, a new "hybrid" mode is introduced for FTX Central that now allows the classic Orbx FTX Regions to remain "active" with FTX Global so you can do tran-ocean or continent flights without ever needing to see default terrain ever again. Upgrade your sim TODAY!

• Total upgrade of your FSX or P3D!
  • Many new gorgeous ground textures
  • New autogen textures for buildings
  • 3D night lighting with zero FPS impact
  • Base landclass updated to enhance Asia etc.
  • Unlocks dormant M-tiles for perfect blending
  • Works with all 3rd party landclass products
  • Works with all 3rd party mesh products
  • Free service packs and patches from Orbx
  • Same sized textures as default
  • "Hybrid" mode for FTX Central regions
  • Expandable with Orbx openLC packs!

http://www.flightsim...roducts_id=2542

Unofficial video by John Venema 

http://www.youtube.com/embed/J1hSuXppK6o

What exactly is an 'Old Git' and how do you become one so that I can get 20% off? I did not see any discounts mentioned at the FlightSim store. Even at 80 bucks it is still an expensive upgrade. That's not to say this is not a pretty cool addon. Why, when I was a kid 80 dollars was........... :D

I found becoming an Old Git quite a natural progression. Victor Meldrew is my hero.

Anyone who has this, I'd be interested to know how it portrays the sahara desert or similar areas. I have a "Flight of the Phoenix" fixation. I don't find the sand dunes in the standard FSX scenery very awe inspiring.

Can you guys help me out here? I want to get it straight in my mind,

feel free to correct me.

the ftx global replaces the default scenery around the world, so if you have it installed but use photoscenery, it will have no effect, but if you are using a region where you do not have any replacement scenery whereas before you would have the pretty naff fsx scenery , now you will see the new ftx global, am i correct?

taking that as granted and i have to admit the default fsx scenery leaves a great deal to be desired, as i fly anywhere from scandinavia to north africa , i have 80 % covered by some form of third party photoscenery , do you think that the price that they are selling it for, bearing in mind it is more than twice the cost of the original fsx program, offers good value for money?

whilst I herald any improvement on the original scenery , which when one takes in mind the other proprietory progs we have already installed how many of us still use the default scenery to such an extent that they can justify this expense?

after the jaded response to their UK progs  which forced them to make a u turn, i wonder how this will be received? are the majority of simmers still using the default scenery where an update like this is welcome or have the majority of seasoned simmers moved on beyond this?

will clients of  Gex or something similar having paid for their software, see a sufficiently improved scenery, that they have no option but to pay out again?

Hi BF,

I think the value, given all the extra programming and attention, is excellent. If we look at FSX default, ok, the whole sim was half the price of FTX-G, but the realism of outlying areas is dismal. We have to pay for the extra quality and technologies that Orbx has invested in to make FSX almost the perfect sim to have. I have shelled out many times more than this for some sceneries that pale into insignificance.

Comparing it to their direct competitors, I feel sorry for the like of UTX, GEX and FScene as their textures do not hold a candle against Orbx's and no I am not paid by JV to say that, you know me too well!

Personally, other than the UK I only have Orbx regional sceneries covering other countries or regions and 3rd party airports, fields and strips. This works quite well for me and I don't feel I have to worry now about flying in any new area and experiencing bland scenery. FTX Global is in no way perfect and I have found many little errors but none that are show-stoppers. 

FTX-G has made it to the top of my list of must-haves for FSX, in order of importance:

1. FSX-G

2. REX (Textures) + FSWC for water

3. FSGRW

4. UT2

5. Plan-G

With the rest I just pick and choose!

Cheers,

Joe

It's easy to be spoilt for highly detailed scenery when you fly in areas / countries that are:

• small enough to cover with photoscenery, 
  • it's cost effective for some company to produce it,
  • there is a reasonable market, and
  • your style of flying is enhanced by photoscenery.

When FSX was first released in 2006, it was lauded as a quantum leap forward in flight simming - but let's not forget the high end system you needed to run it.  It is only now, seven years on, and with the benefit of significant technology developments, including the hardware to support them, that we can truly appreciate FSX's shortcomings.  To be fair, given the technology available in 2006, these could not, in all truth, be considered shortcomings.  Nonetheless, not only did FSX do a poor job of scenery generally, when compared to after market products, it did an even worse job of the textures and landclasses representing the various scenery.  A perfect case in point for both of these shortcomings is Asia and the Oceania region.  The landclass and textures in these areas, in particular, are far short of even a reasonable representation.

So, with FTX Global, Orbx are now pitching to a market where very little has been done in terms of global scenery / landclass / textures - and for that, self righteous individuals coin phrases such as "...JV's quest for global domination...".  Hmm, it seems to make good business sense to me and sounds like there could be a quid or two in it, certainly if the success of their other products are anything to go by.

For someone who occasionally flies in the UK, and, therefore, has no desire to outlay a fortune on photoscenery for the same, the Orbx FTX England, Scotland and Wales products and the associated airport series are excellent and a perfect solution for my flying needs.  Any "jaded response" I saw was from individuals who could not objectively differentiate between photoscenery and what the Orbx FTX products are and have only ever purported to be - and that is not photoscenery.

I recall outlaying a similar amount for FS Global 2010, as that being asked for FTX Global and I did that because it greatly enhanced my flight simming experience.  Interestingly, I have never seen any questions raised or criticism levelled at that product for its price.  So I guess the questions to ask oneself are:

• is it going to enhance my flight simming experience,
  • does it suit my style of flying,
  • will it enhance or improve areas of scenery in which I fly,
  • does it represent value for money based on the above, and
  • the penultimate question - do I buy it.

The way I see it, it's simple - it's horses for courses or whatever you get your jollies from.

Either way FTX Global is an excellent product and a definite, top of the list, must have for FSX.

ok guys i am convinced!! i will have to get it!!

but will wait for it to be available from aerosoft as I cannot download anything from FSS and they dont answer emails.

Brett, for "Old Git" read "retired". FlightSimStore announced a few months ago that they would grant aged simmers, like me, a 20% discount on proof of senility, sorry, maturity. I sent them a jpeg of my driving licence and they kindly awarded me membership to the exclusive "Old Git Simmers Club". If you, or any other member is old enough to remember real rock'n'roll, then you're qualified.

My heart goes out to all you young things! As they say, youth is wasted on the young!

Cheers - Dai. :old-but-still-cool:

but will wait for it to be available from aerosoft as I cannot download anything from FSS and they dont answer emails.

Strange as Adriane is ontop of any compliants.  Are you sure you are using the correct email  for him?

sales@flightsimstore.com

Strange as Adriane is ontop of any compliants.  Are you sure you are using the correct email  for him?

sales@flightsimstore.com

Thanks for that to be honest i didnt check the address it was a link on the fss page that i clicked onto and wrote a message as i remember, it is no bigs i simply cannot for whatever reason download from his site anything at all same with rex , i have to use their amazon link however for fss this option also doesnt work. you have to remember i live in the sticks and only get 2mb download speed on a very good day whereas at my last house 20 miles away i had 45mb and no issues.

Brett, for "Old Git" read "retired". FlightSimStore announced a few months ago that they would grant aged simmers, like me, a 20% discount on proof of senility, sorry, maturity. I sent them a jpeg of my driving licence and they kindly awarded me membership to the exclusive "Old Git Simmers Club". If you, or any other member is old enough to remember real rock'n'roll, then you're qualified.

My heart goes out to all you young things! As they say, youth is wasted on the young!

Cheers - Dai. :old-but-still-cool:

I am only 56 but feel 66. Do you think they will take that into consideration. :D

It certainly is a nice gesture giving the old "gits" a break. :thum: Never would have guessed they would have pro-rated the programs usage over our lifespan. I guess ORMX figures the old folks won't get as much usage out of it, for the money, in the long run........ ;)  :P

Only joking, no remarks please. :D

Wish the video was in HD but still an amazing feat of getting things to look as they should. The main thing I would like to see in my sim is the roads and rail being the most accurate but as you can see the land class and mesh are just as important for that to happen. With todays data from satellites you would think this would be simpler to get it right. Looks like they are on the right track.

Thanks for the link Dai. I am downloading it now to check it out. :)