Orbx - FTX: EU EGHI Southampton Airport

Great write up Joe! I bought it when it came out and just haven't had any time to spend with it, but at least I know it will be a good experience when I do get round to it.

One thing you didn't mention though was compatibility with anything other than OrbX..... ;)

I expect it will fit seamlessly with FTX England, and I think it will possibly be workable with other photoscenery, the only issues being possibly a slight ground texture mismatch and conflicting seasonal textures at times. Like I said though I haven't had a chance to play with it so those issues may well be fairly minimal! but are worth noting in the back of one's mind if you're a photoscenery user.

Nice read Joe and it's got me really wanting to hit the buy button. :thum:

I notice that well informed and observant locals are ORBX's worst nightmare but they pulled it off anyway according to your score. It looks real nice and your pic's really helped the review along, thanks for the info. :)

Q&A-Mercedes Benz?

Spot on Brett, again, it's ironic to see their logos on the buildings behind and on the airport campus.

@Kevin, I don't think there's any mileage in bringing up compatibility questions any more, we know how the land lies (See what I did there?!) with Orbx / GenX and I don't think it should influence the review.

I sincerely believe that this scenery is worth getting on it's own merit, if the buyer is able to adapt it to their choice of base scenery if not FTX then all the better! 

Joe

Spot on Brett, again, it's ironic to see their logos on the buildings behind and on the airport campus.

Never forget but always forgive, my friends. :)

although you would think everyone should get a discount on any MB purchases. :P

@Kevin, I don't think there's any mileage in bringing up compatibility questions any more, we know how the land lies (See what I did there?!) with Orbx / GenX and I don't think it should influence the review.

Roger Wilco

I sincerely believe that this scenery is worth getting on it's own merit

No disagreement there by the looks of it!

It looks great!  I have A bit of ORBX software, but it is limited to Global, England and wales.  I haven't ventured into purchasing any of their airports yet.

I think they are going to release Fairoaks soon, as this is very close to me I think I will buy it when it is available.  JG's Field.

I have Soton and it is really first class.  Interestingly enough is the fact that Eng, which I have had since it came out, has never worked well for me until I was persuaded to buy Global.

Now it whistles along without a murmur!

I know that's probably been well discussed here, but I have just returned to Mutley's having been kicked from another forum for singing it;s praises !!  Oops.

Rick

Great review, Joe, and the pics are outstanding. (The words were pretty good, too).   :P

<sigh>  If only Orbx would get over their obsession with silly grass strips and do more characterful local airports like that......    :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Bruce

a.k.a. brian747

Great review Joe

As my husband only flies from Southampton to Bournemouth, when I can get him to have a quick flight, I reckon this might find its way into his Christmas stocking !

I've flown into and out of this airport since I was a baby..still have fond memories of the old war building with the bar next to the viewing windows, the small cafeteria with tea served in a proper cup n saucer, and the dodgy ceiling tiles [do any other locals remember them?] The current building is stunning, and Orbx has done a great job to recreate it in all its glory. Still think they should have renamed it Eric Rowland Moon or RJMitchell airport though. I hate the thought of it being named after a footballer even if he is a distant relative ;)

Thats my trip down memory lane done for the day.

While we are down Memory Lane, there used to be the Supermarine S. at the Southampton Red Funnel ferry terminal. It was of course the progenator of the Spitfire. Wonder where it is now?

Great review Joe - I like all of Orbx addons but as with everyone else; I wish I could just buy the airports and use photoscenery - yawn not another one lol. Still it looks amazing as ever and with all the flows technology it really brings the airport to life. Cannot say that with other airport addons unfortunately. 

I need to say that I am liking Seasmoke's avatar and sig pics :)

Nice review and to the point just how I like them.

Jim

While we are down Memory Lane, there used to be the Supermarine S. at the Southampton Red Funnel ferry terminal. It was of course the progenator of the Spitfire. Wonder where it is now?

Interesting, i ddn't realise there was one there. I know there are 2 at the Solent Sky museum and there is a small one on Hamble Lane in Hamble le Rice. There was talk of a Spitfire memorial at Trafalgar park but not sure its even built yet.

Will have a look next time im over there.

:)

Steph

I hate the thought of it being named after a footballer even if he is a distant relative

I second that Steph he already has an apartment block named after him on the site of the old Dell what more does he want?!

I don't remember a Spitfire at Hamble but the Folland Gnat is still there.

dodgy ceiling tiles [do any other locals remember them?] 

Yes I do! I used to be a part of the flying club whose entrance was in the far left corner on the same level as the cafe so you can imagine how many bacon sandwiches we got through in a week! From the back of their offices you looked straight into one of those huge old hangars! Later I worked airside right next to the fire station as featured at the end of this post! http://forum.mutleyshangar.com/index.php/topic/1467-atwc-leg-117-egll-eghi-the-final-chapter/?p=10367

Happy days!

I don't remember a Spitfire at Hamble but the Folland Gnat is still there.

Yep, I remember the Gnat as well. I'm thinking of the aircraft on top of the pedestal on the grass verge just opposite the CooperVision building and the fire station. Its on the corner of Aquila Road and Hamble Lane. You can just about see it on Google Street View. It looks like a Spit but not 100% sure.

Re the Flying school across from the canteen, I remember that well. When I was a young sprout I always wondered what it would be like to take lessons. I worked at a small Tour Operator based in a Portakabin just next to the security barrier, and then at a warehouse which is now part of the road leading to the long stay car park.  Oh how things have changed! 

Loved your pics from your flight in the spit. I didn't know that there were any airport add ons of the old buildings about.

:-)

• 1 month later...