LINDA module v0.5 for the PMDG 777 released

LINDA continues to enhance its support for the PMDG 777, with the version 0.5 module being released last night. This exposes 487 functions for you to assign to your hardware, using LINDA's easy-to-use interface.

I already have all my buttons and switches configured via LINDA (i.e. those on my stick and throttle, as well as the VRinsight switch panel and the VRinsight MCP combo, and also the ones on my rarely-used Saitek TQ), but whilst I was at the Flight Sim 2013 show I picked up a Saitek Switch Panel, since LINDA now supports that, too — and if you fly airliners you can never have too many switches, that's for sure!. Given 487 of the 777's functions to choose from, my only problem was to decide which of them to assign to my new Saitek unit. In the end I gave up looking for something original, and decided that the most logical choice would be to use the switches for 777 lights, which also had the advantage that some of the existing panel markings could be retained.

The gear up / gear down switch is too nicely modelled to use it for anything else, and that just left the rather VFR-oriented rotary switch. I would have liked to have used it for autobrakes, but it has far too few positions. There's not enough positions for the flaps, either, but in the absence of anything else I wrote some extremely inelegant Lua code to utilise it for that — well, for the most common flap positions that I use, anyway. That will have to suffice until I think of something else.    :cool:

The landing gear lights work as expected, being illuminated green continuously whilst the gear is down, but on moving the switch up the lights turn red, and then they are extinguished once the gear is fully retracted. I have yet to test what happens in the event of a failure, but it is said that the lights will respond appropriately in that situation, too.

So here's a diagram of the unit as I set it up:

f4g8.jpg
And in case it helps anyone that's new to LINDA, the assignments I used were as follows:

qx6u.jpg

The PMDG functions are from the LINDA 777 module, whilst the gear is triggered using standard FSX functions (all of which are assignable from within LINDA). The "BC Saitek rotary" functions are the ones I cobbled together to make the rotary switch work, whilst intelligently skipping over the missing flap positions (I can very easily get at those flap positions, if needed, using the switch on my 'hog's throttle base). But writing your own Lua code is only needed in exceptional circumstances such as this.

If you already have LINDA, you can pick up the latest modules from the download forum: http://forum.avsim.net/forum/424-linda/

If you'd like to learn more about LINDA, the beginner's manual is downloadable from here: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/376920-linda-beginners-guide-a-very-detailed-manual/

And to read the Mutley's Hangar review of LINDA, go here: http://www.mutleyshangar.com/reviews/bc/linda/linda.htm

Finally, here's the Saitek panel in use (look for the three greens in the middle of the picture!  ;) ):

hmn2.jpg

Cheers,

Bruce

a.k.a. brian747

Nice cockpit. :thum:  I read the beginners guide once before about LINDA and, like all women, it left me a little confused. :D I understood most of it but did get a little sleepy with the custom stuff. 

I can see were it could come in very handy for your type of setup, though I wouldn't need it myself. And in a way that's good, at my age, every time I need to learn something new, past learnt information drops out of my brain. :D  

Nice cockpit. :thum:  I read the beginners guide once before about LINDA and, like all women, it left me a little confused. :D I understood most of it but did get a little sleepy with the custom stuff. 

I can see were it could come in very handy for your type of setup, though I wouldn't need it myself. And in a way that's good, at my age, every time I need to learn something new, past learnt information drops out of my brain. :D  

Eye lerndead too rite wordz like you does, but thay alsore drop outa my brain..  :stars:

Sorry for that Brian/Bruce.  Great information, will see if I can utilise LINDA, even if it is for washing the dishes..

Best wishes from Wales..  :dance3:

Eye lerndead too rite wordz like you does, but thay alsore drop outa my brain..  :stars:

Not sure what you means by that. Is you ensulten me. :unclemartin: