Paul,

Turboprop versus piston, hmmmm??? :stars:    I have both and I agree with the others on the Aerosoft 'Twin Otter' X Extended, particularly for extra speed and the complexity in the model.  However, if you want something a little more sedate and slow, the Flight1 BN-2 'Islander' is the perfect choice.

Cheers

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

I have both and I love both - But being a piston engines lover I love the Islander more...

The Twotter is the more complete package however.

So I guess it's down to personal preference and the amount of cash you can part with. If you can afford to buy both I would recommend that option.

Cheers

Kasper

DH-7 Caribou. It's a big plane but flies like a much smaller plane, amazing STOL, hauls around 6-9000 lbs. Cruises at around 150-170k. And it is more throttle responsive with its huge jugs and massive props than many other large planes...hence it flying like a smaller bird. The Virtavia version I purchased was quite cheap at at $11.00 USD or so, and less after discounts.

It is not nearly as realistic a VC to operate as the Twotter (which I also have and love, very recommended for it's many feet and awesome detailing)...the DH VC has lots of non functional switches....but it looks nice and doesn't harm Screenshots much :).

sfc3.png

And it gets in to tight spots...

sfctouch6.png

sfcDown.png

And back out of them....Fantastic STOL.

sfcUp7.png

• 2 months later...

Hello Paul and welcome to Mutley's, you'll find it the friendliest place around.

I'm a big fan of the Islander as I come from the place it was made and it is great for flying round the Scottish islands in filthy weather.

If I close my eyes and click my heels together three times, I can picture myself in that plane, wearing  shorts, an ugly loud shirt and flip flops, Islands here I come. Darn it, opened my eyes and I'm still in my bedroom.........

Oh well, it was worth a try. :D

Welcome to the forums Paul, nice shot, I'm a Twin Otter fan myself. :thum: Feel free to introduce yourself to all the members HERE if you feel so inclined. :hat:  

Tough choice. Both very good, but different enough to need both. The Islander stalls at 40 knots, making it a fantastic little island hopper which will get in and out of very small strips. Twin Otter is more complex, yes, but for the joy of flying... hmmm Islander hard to dismiss that easily in my opinion.

Looks like someone stepped on it, it's bent :P Only josh'in, nice looking bird and hauls a good sized load. :)

Takes off at a wild angle - bent to prevent tailstrikes. 

I remember watching one of these a/c demonstrated at the CYHM airshow in the seventies. Main r/w was something like 4000 X 200 in those days and the pilot landed across the runway, bowed to the crowd, backed it up, and took off in the opposite direction. Serious STOL!

For the life of me I cannot taxi the Otter. Too little thust it comes to a halt, nudge the throttle to get it moving and it shoots across the taxiway like a rocket.

It takes a bit for the engines to kick in when nudging the throttles and when they do it's like a bur under a horses saddle because the engine torque adjusts the prop angle. Do you have the propellers set to max during taxi? Try setting them at half % or lower when taxing.   

I think in the RW they use the prop levers on the ground in taxi so it doesn't take so long for the gas turbines to produce torque after throttle is applied.

Maybe someone else here has a better suggestion or is better at explaining it proper like.