Orbx Releases FTX: Global VECTOR

FTX Global VECTOR, which is the culmination of over two years of R&D and GIS data development now combined into a single product to cover your whole Flight Simulator X or Prepar3D world with superb new vector details like never before achieved on a global scale. FTX Global VECTOR is a partnership project between Orbx and Austrian company PILOT’s. The version of Vector you have is the download-only version exclusive to Orbx and specifically designed to work with both FTX Global BASE and FTX Global openLC as part of a total simulator overhaul.So the difference between what you had before and after Vector is quite remarkable; we like to compare it to a complete simulator upgrade, similar to the huge improvement FTX Global BASE’s textures provided.

• Accurate coastlines, rivers, lakes and other water bodies. Vector uses new shoreline and beach textures to add more realism which provides a more integrated and natural appearance
  • Motorways, freeways, main arterials roads, roundabouts – all with moving vehicle traffic and specific underlays and skirtings to blend in better with landclass textures
  • Golf courses, city parks and forests
  • Extrusion bridges and tunnel entrances
  • Tram lines where applicable, railway lines and railway yards
  • Power lines using default models
  • Corrected airport elevations for all default airports
  • Ports and docks concrete textures

So the difference between what you had before and after Vector is quite remarkable; we like to compare it to a complete simulator upgrade, similar to the huge improvement FTX Global BASE’s textures provided.

It's pretty expensive for what it is, to add to the original FTXGlobal (£38).  But I realise it will make a tremendous difference to the enjoyment of the landscape.  I have FTX global so it would make sense to add the Vector to it.

Blinkin eck! my wally is already taking a bashing from Christmas..  Thanks for the heads up Rob..  :thum:

Thanks Rob, been waiting for it's release. :)

Think I will wait a bit to let the servers cool down and for my bank account to get hot again. To think I went around five years with default FSX and was perfectly happy, then I caught the payware addon disease. My better half is thinking of having an intervention for me. :D   

The simplest way to look at this is as a layer affect, as follows, in descending order of detail:

• FTX airport series (detailed airport specific scenery), e.g. FTX: EU EGHI;
  • FTX region series (detailed region specific scenery), e.g. FTX: EU England;
  • FTX Global VECTOR (Vector Data);
  • FTX Global BASE (Textures and Autogen);
  • FTX Global openLC region series (Landclass Data); and
  • Terrain Mesh.

Each component complements the others and, In ascending order, each layer adds more local detail.

There is possibly another component to come, if the speculation about a partnering arrangement between Orbx and REX4 products is true.

Thanks Andrew I got that but in ftx central i take it this will go under the global banner what happens if you use ftx england as you then disarm global, or do you use a hybrid setup? it all seems so complicated for a thicko like me

I thought the partnership between ftx and rex had been announced, they have been cap in glove for quite a few years now .

I only installed FTX Global VECTOR this evening and have only briefly had a chance to explore it.  As far as I understand, as VECTOR provides a higher level / quality of vector data (only). it takes priority over the vector data in region scenery.  My quick comparisons indicate this is regardless of whether you have Global or a specific region activated in FTX Central, however, I need to do some more testing to validate this.

@Nigel

It only affects FTX global by adding the vector classification (Roads, Railways, Shorelines etc.,) to the land-class textures.  It will have no effect to FTX regions as they are separate texture formats in their own file structure.

If you look at your FSX file structure you will find the ORBX directory in there.  That is where the regions go and the FTXG vector goes into the scenery directory further down the main FSX list.

Mtuz.jpg

Very tempted to get this package, and most likely will buy it during the day... 

@James: Considering it covers the whole world I'm not sure I think it's that expensive. Two regions of Ultimate Terrain would cost more than the Vector package, but you then of course get updated Land Class too... but not the global adjustment of airport elevation at the default airports.