Malaysia Airlines 777-200ER Missing In Flight

From what I know of this, it was his intention to cause as much embarrassment, loss of face and expense as possible for the airline and the government.

I believe he intended it to be a mystery never solved and he didn't/couldn't foresee the unprecedented use of the satellites capturing the twice hourly automatic pings from some of the on-board equipment that allowed tracking his path in a rough fashion.  I wonder too if he also hoped that no blame would attach to him or that there would at least be enough doubt of his guilt so his heirs would eventually receive the benefits from his life insurance.  Suicide generally invalidates that.

As far as we know, none of those played into the German co-pilot's motives.

John

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I couldn't resist posting this...

Not the brightest bulb in the box, based on the description.   Don't you think that flotsam in the form of a full suitcase might trigger some sort of investigation? Or, am I wrong in that full suitc

Gut wrenching photos Alan...... just looking at them makes me feel......oh god......excuse me.......... 

Just when you thought we'd heard the last about MH 370...

Autonomous subs to make 90-day search for MH370

"The company, commissioned by the Malaysian government, will receive no fee unless it finds the missing Boeing 777-200ER. Media reports indicate that it will receive up to $70 million in the event the search finds the aircraft."

This excerpt kind of leads me to be optimistic about this.  I can't imagine this outfit ponying up the kind of money it takes to do it without some fairly high confidence based on their own sources and research that they will find something.

I certainly hope they do.

John

Here's a link for the last article I could find for missing parts. update is from January of last year https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2017/jan/17/missing-flight-mh370-a-visual-guide-to-the-parts-and-debris-found-so-far

I also found some pretty wild theories for the disappearance along the way.:rofl:

• Thanks 1
20 hours ago, allardjd said:

Just when you thought we'd heard the last about MH 370...

Autonomous subs to make 90-day search for MH370

"The company, commissioned by the Malaysian government, will receive no fee unless it finds the missing Boeing 777-200ER. Media reports indicate that it will receive up to $70 million in the event the search finds the aircraft."

This excerpt kind of leads me to be optimistic about this.  I can't imagine this outfit ponying up the kind of money it takes to do it without some fairly high confidence based on their own sources and research that they will find something.

I certainly hope they do.

John

Hope they pick one of the companies that is well versed in deep sea aircraft salvage.. (Air France 447, Air India, SAA..)

Hope they find something credible and allow the families to have some closure. I can't imagine what it would be like to be one of the grieving families, but i know i'd be on it to get a proper answer.

Edited by hlminx
  • Like 1

Good stuff, Brett.  Had only seen a couple of those. 

There's not much doubt it's in the water, somewhere.  The recorders, if ever found, should tell us much, though the CVR probably over-wrote the early portion, where presumably the culprit overcame the other crew member.  It might, however, contain some kind of last statement at the end if he chose to leave one. 

The DFDR should give pretty complete details of the altitude excursions, cabin altitude changes, course and speed, etc. and a record of the things he disconnected or powered down.  I don't think it was possible for him to disable that recorder, but not 100% sure of that.   

Pretty macabre to spend the last hours of your life piloting a jet with around 300 dead people who you killed still aboard.  I guess it's possible that he may have ended his own life before the end of flight by some other method of suicide, perhaps even finding a way of getting a door open and jumping out.

John

I still have to wonder why the pingers couldn't have been picked up by sonar on a sub...

There had to be a load of subs out there in the AO and PO to pick up the signals from a downed aircraft..

Why haven't the governments of this world pooled the resources that would have pinpointed the general area before now without having to compromise stealth??

Yeah yeah.. rose coloured glasses lol ;)

Edited by hlminx
13 minutes ago, hlminx said:

Hope they pick one of the companies that is well versed in deep sea aircraft salvage.. (Air France 447, Air India, SAA..)

According to the article it's "Undersea mapping firm Ocean Infinity...".

I think this effort is simply to locate the wreckage, not to recover anything.  If found, probably some other company will be contracted to perform any actual recovery operations, most likely focusing on the recorders if that portion of the wreckage can be pinpointed.  I don't see much point in spending much money or effort raising anything else.  It's going to be very deep water in a very remote part of the ocean and will be wickedly expensive to do anything.

John

23 minutes ago, hlminx said:

I still have to wonder why the pingers can't be picked up by sonar on a sub...

There have to be a load of subs out there in the AO and PO to pick up the signals from a downed aircraft..

Why haven't the governments of this world pooled the resources that would have pinpointed the general area before now without having to compromise stealth??

Yeah yeah.. rose coloured glasses lol ;)

The design service life of the pinger batteries once activated by immersion is on the order of 30 days.  There are no pings being transmitted at this point in time. 

I don't think there's much reason for countries operating submarines to be operating there normally.  It's an area where nothing much happens and is too far from any potential targets, except possibly Australia, for ballistic missile subs to be hiding.  Neither Russia nor China are so rich in ballistic missile boats to be able to spare any for that ocean, and the US, UK and France have no reason to.  The latter two don't have enough assets even if they wanted to, and they presumably wouldn't want to anyway. 

The missions the operational military subs are engaged upon in other areas are probably considered more important to the individual countries national security interests than searching for a downed airliner when there's no possibility of rescuing anyone. 

Given the water depths in that area, operational type subs, as opposed to deep-diving research craft, would not be much more useful than surface craft.  The deepest diving operational subs that I'm aware of (a couple of older Russian types) can/could go to about 1,000 meters, but few of those were built and I'm not sure they are still even in service.  Most military subs are only good for something more like 500 meters.  The water in the likely search area will be more like 15-20 thousand feet deep and operational subs will not have the kind of equipment required to find objects on the deep-ocean floor.  It's not what they do.  They will have fathomers for gauging the depth of water below them for navigational purposes, for instance, but would be unlikely to have anything like side-scan sonar for mapping the sea-bottom in any kind of wide swath far beneath them.  They have no need for that in normal military operations and where needed, deep-diving ROVs (autonomous and remote controlled) and manned research submersibles would be able to do the job much better and more efficiently.

John

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Here's a new and rather long magazine article, well written even though it does not mention some known and relevant facts.  It's worth the read partly because it does a fairly decent job of tying together in layman's language some of the details of the unprecedented satellite "tracking" that was used to determine the flight path. 

It fails to mention the predicted appearance of the flotsam on Reunion Island by an Australian oceanographer shortly after the flight and 18 months before the flaperon was found there.  It also ignores the political leanings of the captain and the fact that he'd seen his political hero, an outspoken opponent of the government then in power, convicted in court of a sexual crime on the very day of the flight.  Other sources tell us he literally went from the courthouse to the airport, which seems pretty significant.  The article doesn't mention any of that but I can't see any errors in it aside from errors of omission.   

Worth the read if you have the time and interest.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/07/mh370-malaysia-airlines/590653/

John