To add to any debate regarding this meeting of two 'minds', I should like to know if anyone has had success with this amalgam. I have read a couple of reports that spoke of either disaster or a clash of DivX systems.

Is it best that one should choose the Clean Install route and then re-install FSX or just go for the Update route and accept the baggage, collected over time, that will probably still remain? And will FSX still run?

What with FSX Steam, and now Win 10, I feel like taking a long holiday.

• Like 1

I've looked at the new features of Windows 10, decided I didn't need any of them to run FSX, so my sim PC is staying with Win 7 probably for quite some time since maintenance goes to 2020.  :)

For info from my french sim forum, there are various after updates reports going from "all ok" to "rolled back to previous OS ".  I would probably wait until SP1 at least... you have a year to do it free.

• 3 weeks later...

I run FSX on Windows 7 and network it with Windows 10 on a laptop.... with Simconnect  and ASN .......It works great that way.

Brian.

I have updated a laptop to Win 10, all works fine but I wont be changing my Sim PC, as Loic says if it is still working then there is no need to change....my Sim PC runs on Win 8.1 and all is fine so I see no reason to 'rock the boat'......I will keep an eye on peoples experiences though...

Wayne

I jumped off the deep end and upgraded my main laptop to Windows 10. Besides bring my work machine, it is also my sim machine since I am at the road over 6 months out of the year as a network / IT security consultant and trainer. Haven't had any problems and FSX-SE, with tons of Orbx (mesh, global, vector, openLC and fat regions) use mainly A2A aircraft with Rex textures and Active Sky for weather... So far so good. Anyway it works well for me...

I jumped off the deep end and upgraded my main laptop to Windows 10. Besides bring my work machine, it is also my sim machine since I am at the road over 6 months out of the year as a network / IT security consultant and trainer. Haven't had any problems and FSX-SE, with tons of Orbx (mesh, global, vector, openLC and fat regions) use mainly A2A aircraft with Rex textures and Active Sky for weather... So far so good. Anyway it works well for me...

thats interesting, using 10 on a laptop at home and no issues as of yet......sometimes we hear of things not working but it can be a varity of things that may cause issues that may not be anything to do with OS... I remember building this PC and going straight to 8.1 and being told nothing will work, but it all did and I have it set up so it looks like any other desktop......I think the biggest issue may be that some companies will not offer support for their products as they have not tested thoroughly tested with 10, and that could cause a problem.......

I'm of the firm belief that "if it's not broken, don't fix it!" Having only recently got a new PC with W7 installed whereas the previous one was WXP. I'm still working my way round this system without changing again! Needless to say I shall not be accepting Microsofts offer of a free upgradeto W10!!

• 3 weeks later...

I am also a great believer in if it aint broke -- - - - -

However as I had huge issues with P3D i have been using it with win 10 for some time and with no problems at all, except when using big a/c

However be warned, Microsofts idea of what your privacy is may not coincide with what your idea is , so if you do install win 10 make sure you spend some time removing all the ticked boxes (which are well hidden)  where m.s. think they have the right to your privacy and this entails going onto your m.s online account and unticking boxes there as well.. One thing to bear in mind if you dont, the win10eula allows them to distribute all your information, movements , sites visited etc etc etc to any other company owned by M.s. without your say so as well !!!

ms can upgrade win10 with whatever they want when they want. Last week I found that i had inherited an asphalt car game, a program which changed my home page address in firefox and IE , and another program. which gave me loads of adverts. 

Other than that it is just the same under the covers as win 7 and 8 just the desktop and a few details have been changed so as it is the future there is no reason to not install it especially if you are still on win xp

I agree with what you say there BF, M$ have released W10 as a developing product and we are all beta testers which in their view which gives them carte blanche to data mine our personal activities, even if you pay.  :icon_help:

I am not keen on this at all and I have taken steps to tick all the boxes to say I don't want them using my data without permission. However, I think it is naive to think our wishes will be respected when governments have free access to our web browsing activities in the interest of national security.

So, anything I don't want to be public is not stored on a machine connected to the internet regardless of what software I have installed.

Anywho.. 2 of my machines, this one (Dell Ultrabook) and my main FS PCis are now W10 with no problems. There is definitely a benefit from jumping from W7 to W10 and at no extra cost is a no given that I have nothing to hide it is a no-brainer..

Cheers,

Joe

When I looked up what was new in Win10 I found nothing I needed that Win 7 didn't give me.  The only reason you have to get it is that over time they will make the old stuff not work correctly. Sigh

I gather that business and computer folk need constant improvements so they should make the constantly updated 'Home' and 'Office' units and then a 'This is Fine with Me' version that is compatible with the new ones for 15 years. :D