Prepar3D V3 Arrives 30th September

ScreenShot010.png~original

This Wednesday, September 30th, Prepar3D v3 will be available for purchase and digital download via the Prepar3D Store. Prepar3D v3 allows developers and users to build and experience advanced simulated training environments using a new slate of features that simplify development and augment the training experience.

Prepar3D v3 further simplifies training scenario creation with major updates to SimDirector, the industry leading simulation courseware creation tool. Prepar3D v3 also welcomes enriched training capabilities by incorporating Autodesk® Scaleform® support, which improves the user interface and expands gauge and panel training capabilities. The new release also features a new avatar mode that enables users to exit their vehicle and experience the simulated environment in first or third person for increased realism and situational awareness.

Prepar3D v3 continues the tradition of being the most affordable high-fidelity visual simulation platform on the market. Many of the features and updates were directly driven by the community and the user base of Prepar3D. We look forward to continuing the conversation and reading your feedback on the Prepar3D Forum. The detailed list of exciting new features and capabilities can be found in the What’s New in v3 Release Notes!

• Like 1

No mention of backward comparability then. There is a difference between v1 and v2 because of the differing install programs, although I have no idea what that was, what about v3?

I would like to move to P3D at some time, but with all this change going on, I don't know when to make the jump. All I know id that I am glad I haven't made it yet.

Is Prepar3D v3 still backwards compatible with legacy content?

Yes. The Prepar3D development team has partnered with several developers to ensure that most legacy content is backwards compatible. That being said there are many different ways to build content, so there are possibilities that some content might not be fully backwards compatible. Your best bet is to check the license of your add-on content to ensure it is licensed to be used in Prepar3D, and to check with the developer of that add-on content.

So yes and no then. :fool:

Thank you for the link. But I fear that amidst the general rejoicings this may well be a minority report. ;)

TBH, listening to Froogle grope his way through a press release which, by his own admission, he hadn't previously completely read, wasn't massively convincing, I'm afraid. (And it wasn't even joined-up writing).

My problem with P3D is a simple one. I have a fairly enormous investment in FSX, almost entirely (given my style of flying) in terms of airfields and also some Orbx worldwide scenery and mesh. Having observed, from a safe distance, the chaos that followed the move from P3D v1 to v2, I now await with a certain pessimistic interest the scramble for the unfortunate developers to try to reissue their products to meet the new demands of v3.

Meanwhile, to someone on a pension like mine, the concept of paying £130 for the P3D software, followed by junking most if not all of my existing collection of worldwide airfields to start again from scratch, is not remotely an attractive one. I said "from scratch", since it seems to me that P3D is increasingly diverging from its FS roots. (As in, oh no, not *another* SimConnect?? :huh: ).

Besides, FSX in DX10 mode with the Fixer provides an excellent experience with no VAS problems, so P3D is not only unaffordable, but (for me) also unnecessary.

Never say never, and all that, but that's how it's looking to me right now. :)

Just my two cents.... :twocents:

Cheers,

bruce

a.k.a. brian747

I use 2.5 and I think I will wait and see.. for me it works fine but I guarentee there will be v3 problems....I use FSX to have to redo dx10 fixer as I recently managed to get my hands on a disc version of FSX... it really will have to have something big as I am not keen on reinstall of ORBX plus AC into a new version of P3D...

Wayne

I have to say that although I have P3DV2.5 I fly FSX with Steve's DX10 fixer in preference. I still get OOMs with both but nowhere as often as I used to.

The question is when (or ever) do you make the leap to P3D, it's not going to come without cost to up date all your 3rd party software.

Purely to keep up with developments as FS Press I feel I have to take the upgrade in order to keep abreast with developments.

I am primed for  the update and hope to have a V3 system ready to display at Cosford on Saturday.

• Like 2

> "...you have to pay 200 bucks for 90% fixes..."

Very true. Not to mention the continued absence of 64-bit support. :(

> "...I have to take the upgrade in order to keep abreast with developments..."

Understood, Joe. Your dedication is, as ever, an inspiration to us all. I'm just happy that I don't have to do it! :)

B.

I am guessing that the servers would be bonkers for the next few days anyway, also hopefully we may get to see a v3 at Cosford. I will only change if and when my ORBX / Carenado / Aerosoft / REX / ASN / Saitek & Realair products install with no extra hassles.... I had that from Dec until about Aug with FSXSE, now I have a disc again that is uninstalled.

I am guessing that most of those developers will have been involved and will either have a patch out quickly or already done so, remember an earlier v2 upgrade where LM had changed some file structures, hopefully not like that this time...

Wayne

Well having put V3 through it's paces my my reaction was like this 

Jaw-Dropping.jpg~original

It really is that good, I have posted some screenshots in the SS forum, anyone coming to the show is welcome to try it out for themselves.

• Like 1