P3D Migration Tool (Flightsim Estonia) - new improvements

I have been watching the development of this tool for P3Dv3 — however until now (for me) it has suffered from this rather crippling limitation:

"Migration Tool does not work on setups that have Prepar3D installed to a different partition from Windows."

Since there's no way that I would ever consider mixing FSX and P3D and Windows on a single partition, that rather ruled it out, in my case. And given the large number of airports that I have accumulated over the years since FSX was released, many of which are somewhat elderly and so will never have the benefit of an "official" P3Dv3 installer, a working Migration Tool like this is essential before i could contemplate looking at P3Dv3.

But on November 22nd Flightsim Estonia released Development Version 3.0.1.953 —

"Added legacy PMDG support (MD-11, etc), now supports multi-partition setups, automatically installs SimConnect clients, updated installer."

Oh dear, it looks as though I could be starting to run out of excuses to avoid trialling P3Dv3.....    

Cheers,

bruce

a.k.a. brian747

P.S. The Migration Tool pages start here: http://www.flightsim.ee/products/migration-tool#download

You can try it in demo mode to see whether it works for you; and to activate it fully the cost is a modest $13.95 (USD) from fspilotshop, or €12.05 (SimMarket)

B.

All my addons that I want in P3Dv3 have installed without the use for this except Traffic 360, I needed to enter a line in the Simobjects cfg.....I have never needed it to install into any version of P3D, I did buy it mistakenly for something that didnt need it for, mostly you just have to point the installer to the correct place.......also some of the more complicated stuff like PMDG and maybe Majestics Dash really should only be installed with the correct installer as you may get errors further down the road...just my thoughts you dont have to agree...

Wayne

No problem, Wayne, and thank you for your input.   :)  I'm well aware that many people might be able to approach the problem in the way you describe (which will work in many cases but not all, to judge from many posts I have read).

However, as a 747-400 flyer (almost exclusively) I have a ton of large international airports worldwide, some of which date back to 2006 when FSX first appeared, so the prospect of tweaking each one individually is an extremely unattractive one. Which is why I am waiting for an automated solution to be available before contemplating any possible move to P3Dv3.    :P

YMMV, and all that jazz.    ;)

Cheers.

bruce

a.k.a. brian 747

I haven't got P3Dv3 yet, for the reasons given, but I understand that PMDG have gone down the route of requiring their customers to pay a second time if they want to be able to run a PMDG 777 or NGX on P3D (a move which hasn't made them too many friends amongst those who (like me) have already bought those aircraft for FSX, as you can imagine!).     :gaah:  

Which is presumably why the latest version of the Migration Tool has "Added legacy PMDG support (MD-11, etc)".    ;)

But unfortunately, there also would appear to be some problems that will require Lockheed Martin to make changes before they can be fixed (see, for example, this comment from Randazzo: http://www.avsim.com/topic/476630-starting-pmdg-777ngx-from-fxml-file-fails-in-p3dv3/#entry3315500. ).

Having said that, there seem to be some SimConnect problems floating around for complex aircraft from other developers, too, which is why I'm hoping for an automated solution. The newest version of the Migration Tool says that it "automatically installs SimConnect clients", which is hopefully a step in the right direction....    :whis:

Hey ho. No one said it was going to be easy....    

Cheers,

bruce

a.k.a. brian747

Worthwhile things in life are never easy...yeah I guess thats why the lebacy bit is in...

Seems wrong to be charged again..I know its extra work but they arent the cheapest products..

Still havent taken the plunge with PMDG I am not sure if there products may be to involved for the time I have... My Aerosoft Airbus is at about my level and time constraints...I also worry about my system being up to the task...

Wayne

Hi Wayne!

> "Seems wrong to be charged again."

<sigh>  I couldn't agree more, especially since if in P3D I wanted to fly both the 777 and NGX aircraft types that I have already bought for FSX it would be (for me) prohibitively expensive:—

Base package 777-200LR & 777F $134.99
777-300ER expansion $29.99
Base package 737-800/900 $89.99
737-600/700 expansion $24.99

So a total $279.96 (or £186.14 at the present rate of exchange).  <gulp>  I like PMDG's 777 and NGX, but do I *really* want to lash out nearly two hundred quid for the privilege of flying them in P3D? I think not.

> "I am not sure if there products may be to involved for the time I have..."

Why not download the tutorial for the NGX or 777 from https://www.precisionmanuals.com/pages/downloads/docs.html and see what you think? (There are lots of YouTube videos about both aircraft, too). And if you can fly the Airbus then I can't see that flying the NGX (or a 777) would take any more of your time — once the initial learning curve is over, of course.    :)

> "I also worry about my system being up to the task..."

I can't see from your specs what speed your processor is running at, but I found that my i5 760 (O/C to 4 GHz) managed quite happily with the assistance of a decent graphics card (and DX10 via Steve's Fixer, of course, to eliminate OOM errors when landing a complex aircraft at a complex airport).    ;)

Cheers,

bruce
a.k.a. brian747

Yes Brian that is rather a high price to pay.....

I will take a look at those tutorials and see how complex it is, I am enjoying the bus but would also like one of those in the hangar too. Been waiting for Aerosoft and there CRJ but that keeps getting put back, I think it currently stands at the end of January now...

my cpu is i5 3570 @ 3.4 and the gpu is a GTX970 @ 4gb only 8gb of ram but FSX/P3D only use 4 so it depends what goes on elsewhere....

I think it maybe I am just weary of taking the plunge and either it doesnt work or I cant get on with it, and like you say its not cheap....

Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

This image is popping up in a side-bar on my browser - targeted advertising.  It really caught my eye because of the text.

When you talk about migration in the US these days, this photo depicts just about the only means they DON'T use much.

MigrationTool.jpg

<grin>  Interesting how our perception of words changes — I can understand why it caught your eye, John.    :)

(Also, some words of your Mr. Trump have been making news Over Here, so much so that a petition to ban him from entering the U.K. (was there ever any danger of that?) already has over 80,000 signatures, and it if reaches 100,000 it supposedly has to be debated in Parliament).

Perhaps Flightsim Estonia should be advised to keep the words "Migration Tool" on the same line as "FSX to Prepar3D". Or even <*cough*> think up a slightly snappier name for it?      ;)

Cheers,

bruce

a.k.a. brian747

• 2 weeks later...

As this subject concerns migration (aircraft and scenery) from FSX to P3d, I thought I might get a few answers here. I've already spent a big part of this afternoon poking around in P3d's website and forum and I'm still not very enlightened - a not uncommon scenario for me.

I was curious, so I paid for and downloaded a copy of the Academic License version of P3d V3. First impressions: not much different from FSX. I started out flying the Carenado V35 around, something that I do in FSX on a regular basis as I have a copy of Carenado's V35 loaded there. Seems to act about the same as FSX, nothing earth-shattering, anyway.

So I went searching "under the bonnet" as it were and inspected a bit of the software tree that installed in P3d. Interesting.......there are a lot more aircraft listed in the "simobjects" directory than show up in the GUI. One or two are AI aircraft, so no worries there. But what about one example labelled "Bombardier_CRJ_700". It has a .cfg file and a .air file, a sound sub-directory and a model sub-directory along with a bunch of texture files (all of them missing a "thumbnail"). However, it does not show up in the P3d aircraft menu - they call them "Vehicles" - erroneous IMHO. Airplanes is airplanes, not vehicles - enough ranting.

I might have been convinced that there was some cross-pollination going on except that I installed P3d to a separate SSD drive which contains absolutely nothing other than the P3d stuff.

Next, I'm going to import one of my other aircraft by physically taking the FSX file and importing it whole to the P3d directory. I won't use a complex one like the Majestic Dash 8 or the PMDG 738. I'll go with something simple like the FSX C-172 or a freeware Basler BT-67.

This will have to happen tomorrow as I'm off to yet another "Christmas" meet and greet and eat in a half hour.

Comments welcome.

Quick O noticed that regarding some AC files. I just assumed they were just Ai AC but I may well be wrong.

Also agree with you about the Vehicles thing. I suspect its because you can develope land vehicles etc for combat scenairios.

All my AC have installed ok by just pointing at the directory however I do tend to buy AC that instals to both sims.

Best of luck with it.

I imported the C-172 by simply copying the whole directory from FSX to P3d. Worked fine except that none of the liveries showed up. I've got a whole fleet of white C-172's with varying registrations.

Now that I've exercised my male prerogative, I'll read the instructions.