banner.jpg

Just published is Jess-B's review on SIMstarter NG available from Aerosoft.

This was a very popular freeware problem but has been given a host of new features and Jess has been discovering what they are.  Read on...

• Like 3

I never used this product and what I get from reading your always well written review('s) is that you can use it to setup and start your flight sim from it. Correct?

Then in the text you wrote "Next up is a small issue with loading FSX after I had used SIMstarter NG", but no detail about the problem. So would I use this program to set up the sim and then close it and then start FSX? Sorry for being a dummy here.:th_blush:

• Like 1
8 hours ago, brett said:

I never used this product and what I get from reading your always well written review('s) is that you can use it to setup and start your flight sim from it. Correct?

Then in the text you wrote "Next up is a small issue with loading FSX after I had used SIMstarter NG", but no detail about the problem. So would I use this program to set up the sim and then close it and then start FSX? Sorry for being a dummy here.:th_blush:

Yes. Use NG to configure different configuration profiles for different flights or aircrafts.

@Jess-b Thank you for this great review!

• Like 1

I have been using this since it came out.  I replaced the freeware version with it.

It comes highly recommended from me, I especialy like the custom application run part.  I use Lua macros to configure extra keyboards, and I can run different macros from this function that allows a keyboard to be tailored to the individual aircraft I am flying. 

• Like 1

@Jess-b I'll try and be a little clearer, you can start your flight from SimstarterNG or from FSX. Great sounds good to me.

Quote: "Next up is a small issue with loading FSX after I had used SIMstarter NG"

Did this happen when starting from FSX or from Simstarter? What was the problem and is being looked into?

This sounds like something I would be interested in as I never used the freeware version and the price is right. Just need that wee bit of clarification as I didn't see anything mention in the main body of the review. Thanks.:)

Useful tip.

I am in the middle of a complete system rebuild as I managed to corrupt P3D and hadn't set any restore points. :faint:

I installed Simstarter NG and all seemed to go well until I started the program. The first screen displayed is one where you can choose FSX or P3D. My installed NG saw nothing and so I couldn't proceed.  After some hunting around I found the following:

There is a log directory in the NG install directory that contains a useful log of the install process.  From this I was able to see that the program looked for FSX and P3D and didn't find FSX (correct) and then found P3D but errored and so did not provide it as an option in the start menu.

Having done a complete new install I had used P3D 3.3 but I had loaded on a previously downloaded NG, one that was available when the latest P3D version was 3.1. The log told me that NG was looking for P3D v3.1 and found 3.3 thus causing an error. NG was working correctly but not expecting v3.3.

I downloaded the very latest version of NG and all was well as NG now expects P3D v3.3.  Problem solved!  

The path to the Log file is {assuming you installed on to the C drive} C:\\areosoft\SMstarter NG\log - a hidden but very useful feature.

• Like 1