MS Announce New Flight Sim for 2020 Release

I first became aware of this tonight in an e-mail from Fly Away Simulation, linking to this...

https://flyawaysimulation.com/news/4953/

(Checking.... nope, it's not April 1st and POTUS hasn't tweeted that it's Fake News.)  I haven't followed any of the links contained in that page yet but it appears to be a true MS release.  

Obviously I didn't expect to see MS jump back in but I welcome the news.  It is to be hoped that they learned a thing or three after getting their fingers burned on F-Lite, a.k.a. MS Flight and perhaps this will be a serious entry.  Maybe it will be a lease-back of P3D ;)

Based on MS history with release dates, I wouldn't hang my hat on the 2020 release target, but it seems certain that they at least do intend to get back in the game.

Just when you think you've seen it all...

John

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If they've solved the problem of autogen grinding the sim to a halt (TrueEarth London anyone?), it might at least prompt L-M to up their game a bit . . . The promo looks pretty slick & smooth

I first became aware of this tonight in an e-mail from Fly Away Simulation, linking to this... https://flyawaysimulation.com/news/4953/ (Checking.... nope, it's not April 1st and POTUS hasn'

I've had a horrible thought: Maybe they've bought Flightsim World off Dovetail, and are releasing it under the M$ banner . . .

Posted Images

It looks very nice.  But is the market not saturated with the likes of P3D and X-Plane?

Its a fresh product and so a fresh spend.  Not for me, I don't want to start again on something unproven.

I feel this will be a way off yet, it also seems to be pointed towards XBOX & PC, I have signed up to the newsletter but it will have to be good to pull me away from XP & P3D.....I feel it's one to sit back and watch how it progresses, if it comes with a big deal with someone like ORBX and maybe A2A then the community may take notice but like JG said it's another one to spend on and most of us are probably happy with setups.....will also be interesting to see the standing with LM........

There's a pretty good discussion in the forum at FlightSim.com, including a statement from Nels Anderson that I can't help but agree with.  That thread includes some speculation that this might be marketed as a "subscription", i.e. pay as you go.  I can't see that "flying" with the FS community.

Nothing much at AVSLIME AVSIM other than one short announcement that is mostly neutral.  Remember that is the site that threatened and banned people who were critical of MS Flight so maybe folks there are sitting on their hands for now. 

One commenter observes that the fact that the new sim will also be for Xbox does not augur well for any hopes for an open system that accommodates add-ons, offers expandability and the ability to customize ala FSX.

Time will tell.

I'm willing to see what they have to offer, but we have a couple of pretty good alternatives on the market already to keep us busy in the meantime.

John

If they've solved the problem of autogen grinding the sim to a halt (TrueEarth London anyone?), it might at least prompt L-M to up their game a bit . . .

The promo looks pretty slick & smooth, but the cynic in me says it's been carefully crafted to only show the good bits.

• Like 2

The time frame of the proposed release of the new Microsoft simulator certainly seems to coincide with the time frame of the proposed release of the new Xbox.

If the PC version ended up being backward-compatible with my current FSX AI traffic program, I might be slightly interested. I'll probably stick with X-Plane 11, though. It's an excellent simulator that I run in both Windows 7 and Linux. I expect that Microsoft's new simulator will run in neither Windows 7 nor Linux.

On 10/06/2019 at 18:40, allardjd said:

......One commenter observes that the fact that the new sim will also be for Xbox does not augur well for any hopes for an open system that accommodates add-ons, offers expandability and the ability to customize ala FSX......

No it doesn't augur well. 

If it works on an Xbox it will be a game not a simulator.  Flight was a game and that was a complete flop, there are far more exciting games than flying an aircraft around. 

To compete in the flight arena it has to be a full simulator and to be one of a very high standard. Will MS realize that or are we going to see a very pretty game?  If it's for the Xbox then stand by to be disappointed.

On 10/06/2019 at 15:25, wain said:

I feel this will be a way off yet, it also seems to be pointed towards XBOX & PC, I have signed up to the newsletter but it will have to be good to pull me away from XP & P3D.....I feel it's one to sit back and watch how it progresses, if it comes with a big deal with someone like ORBX and maybe A2A then the community may take notice but like JG said it's another one to spend on and most of us are probably happy with setups.....will also be interesting to see the standing with LM........

I agree with all you have said. I looked at the postings flooding social media and others but its too early to tell yet.

56 minutes ago, Tim_A said:

I've had a horrible thought: Maybe they've bought Flightsim World off Dovetail, and are releasing it under the M$ banner . . .

Maybe I should keep my FSW baseball cap after all!

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Tim_A said:

I think a leaseback of P3D would be pretty amusing... and ironic.

John

Interesting video. If this is indeed a simulator then I would want to know:

• What the PC spec is?
  • What the geographical coverage is?
  • what the default level of scenery is like (we are seeing the most detailed bits in the video)?
  • How expandable it is?
  • Does it have an SDK?
  • Is it simple to produce things like aircraft liveries?
  • What is the interface to peripheral hardware is like?
  • How complex the flying model is?

I could go on....and on and on.

Call me a cynic but it seems to be to good to be true.

History is a great teacher! A statement that is true even for our hobby.

Ever since consoles were first released, the world of consoles versus PCs have always been world's apart. Notwithstanding this, some products have continued to have a cross platform release because PCs are still a good platform for games. This is not to say that some fantastic "games" aren't produced for consoles.....but there is the point of historically accepted differentiation.

Consoles are for "gamers", PCs are for "simmers"!

Some simulators have successfully transitioned to consoles. Driving and car racing simulators, specifically, where input and interaction is simply via a steering wheel and pedals, peripherals which have been produced for consoles. However, any true flight simulator product, and I am including simulators beyond the standard flight sims of P3D, FSX, and X-Plane, often require extensive interaction with peripheral devices that only a fully functional cockpit with "6 degrees of freedom" could replicate. The DCS combat flight simulator is one that particularly comes to mind, and even in the case of DCS, a fully functional cockpit with "6 degrees of freedom" still does not fully replace the need for a keyboard as the optimum method of input for certain functionality.

So, I'm with the naysayers. As long as this is developed for a console platform, even in tandem with a PC platform, this is most likely going to be nothing more than a "game".

Cheers
Andrew

• Like 1

If the x-box comes with a "cockpit controller" (yoke, pedals, TQ, trim wheel, switches...) bundled, I *might* just buy it.

For the throttle quadrant, you understand.

I won't even look at it [unless there is a free demo].

I have spent enough on FSX/P3D and lately X-Plane 11 to be able to start using another sim.

I am open to new sims, my switch to X-Plane is testament to that. But I only changed to it as P3D/FSX was too unreliable. It was a case of desperation driving me to try something else that prompted me to do so.  I am glad I did, but I am having to limit my spending on it, I now limit it to RAF Aircraft with a maximum of two engines. :)

Latest from Microsoft Studios in response to feedback to the trailer-

‘On behalf of the entire Microsoft Flight Simulator team, we humbly and deeply express our gratitude for such an overwhelmingly positive response to our announce trailer! We recognize that without people like you, we don’t get to make experiences like this that span more than 35 years and maintain such a passionate following. Thank you for being patient enough to weather the turbulence caused by some of our previous missteps. Thank you for being willing to look to the possibilities of the future while asking us to be accountable for the past. We hear you, we value you, we want to make the next generation of Microsoft Flight Simulator for you, with you.

While this is not the moment to answer every question being asked, we do want to take the opportunity to answer a few important ones:

We are making Microsoft Flight Simulator. Emphasis on the word SIMULATOR.
Designed for PC, optimized for multiplatform support (e.g. Xbox).
Yes. We are supporting 3rd Party Content Development and Community Content creation. We are aware of the concerns in the current eco-system and are working to address them.
Yes. We genuinely want to work closely with the community in the development of this title.
Accessibility is important to us. Whatever your abilities are, if you want to fly, we are going to do whatever we can to make that happen. Yoke and pedals, mouse and keyboard, controller, etc. No pilot should be left behind.

Over the next few months, we will be communicating our plans for the rest of the year, including important updates to the Preview Build/Insider Programs, and important development beats. Maintaining a collaborative relationship with the community starts with transparency and clearly communicated expectations. Early August is our current timeline for kicking off the communication of the development roadmap. We will continue to add clarity to this timeline throughout the summer. If you’d like the latest updates, please make sure to sign up for the Insider Program.

This is just the first step in an adventure we are honored and excited to be taking with all of you. The reaction we received from our recent trailer was an incredible reminder that we are not alone in this passion we have for Microsoft Flight Simulator. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, honestly expressing your feedback and concerns, and for taking this next step with us.

From all of us here working on Microsoft Flight Simulator:

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Microsoft Flight Simulator Team

It is encouraging, but I still remember that MS cretin Josh Howard lying about all the things MS F-Lite was going to be in the early days of promoting that, before turning like a snake.  I'm willing to stay open minded about this and see what develops.  They are saying some "right" things, but they did before too.

John

2 hours ago, allardjd said:

It is encouraging, but I still remember that MS cretin Josh Howard lying about all the things MS F-Lite was going to be in the early days of promoting that, before turning like a snake.  I'm willing to stay open minded about this and see what develops.  They are saying some "right" things, but they did before too.

John

I couldn't agree more, John.

As Joe knows, I have an elephant's memory, and having read that latest release gives me more than just a touch of deja vu.

Now, the cynic in me says they are using the exact same modis operandi as last time and the press release has just been copied from an early MS Flight press release from a few years back, with a change to the dates, names, and a few sentences in order to protect the guilty.

By the way, I have this great elixir that cures all illnesses, including baldness, old age, and death.....want to buy a bottle!!! I only have a dozen bottles left. :rofl: (Not personally aimed at you, John)

Andrew

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Andrew Godden said:

...that cures all illnesses, including baldness, old age, and death..... :rofl: (Not personally aimed at you, John)

No worries, Andrew.  I've only been afflicted by one of those three things, but will keep you in mind if one more befalls me. :cool:

John

1 hour ago, Andrew Godden said:

By the way, I have this great elixir that cures all illnesses, including baldness, old age, and death.....want to buy a bottle!!! I only have a dozen bottles left. :rofl: 

Lord, I am afflicted with a bald spot . . . . #Python

• Haha 1

The MS statement is encouraging.  I suppose that technically there is a gap in the market as P3D is licenced on a flying student basis, although that make me a student for flying an aircraft that is no longer in service and costs many of millions of quid, which puts a lie to that.

It will be interested to see if aircraft designed for P3D will work with the new sim.  If they do then perhaps they are working with LM to produce a true mass market licenced of the FSX/P3D product.