MS Announce New Flight Sim for 2020 Release

I don't think I'll be investing in yet another ruddy Sim. It's taken me this long to get FSX working acceptably! I spent a small fortune on FS9, and then subsequently on FSX. I rarely use the sim these days, (hence my drop off in screenshots) so will not be paying out more dosh in the foreseeable future. Looks good though.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If they've solved the problem of autogen grinding the sim to a halt (TrueEarth London anyone?), it might at least prompt L-M to up their game a bit . . . The promo looks pretty slick & smooth

I first became aware of this tonight in an e-mail from Fly Away Simulation, linking to this... https://flyawaysimulation.com/news/4953/ (Checking.... nope, it's not April 1st and POTUS hasn'

I've had a horrible thought: Maybe they've bought Flightsim World off Dovetail, and are releasing it under the M$ banner . . .

Posted Images

No doubt everyone has some great points and even things I would like to see but I think I'll take the wait add see attitude for stress free living. :)

One thing I do know is if they don't deliver this time no one will believe them again.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, brett said:

No doubt everyone has some great points and even things I would like to see but I think I'll take the wait add see attitude for stress free living. :)

One thing I do know is if they don't deliver this time no one will believe them again.

I'd say they already lack serious credibility issues. You don't shit in the face of a customer base and loyal community, a loyal community of diehards that has been with them and supported them for up to 30 years and then expect all will be normal, as if nothing happened.

I'd like to see MS produce the next generation flight sim, but they had better pull a very big rabbit out of that proverbial hat. :unclemartin:

• Like 1
On ‎25‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 15:59, Andrew Godden said:

I'd say they already lack serious credibility issues. You don't shit in the face of a customer base and loyal community, a loyal community of diehards that has been with them and supported them for up to 30 years and then expect all will be normal, as if nothing happened.

I'd like to see MS produce the next generation flight sim, but they had better pull a very big rabbit out of that proverbial hat. :unclemartin:

So true and I believe if they would have been upfront from the beginning about what they were doing it would not have turned into such a chit show.

I do worry that if they couldn't get FSW right what will this next try be like. Maybe they will be working on a P3D entertainment version because I can't see them using a new rendering engine with all the work and money it would entail and make it better than what we have now.  I guess we will see....   

Interesting insight into recent actions by MS on some non-FS products.  I can't say whether this has any bearing on the future flight simulator but it does seem to illustrate the company's view of digital customers in general....

https://gizmodo.com/ebooks-purchased-from-microsoft-will-be-deleted-this-mo-1836005672

Caveat emptor!

John

Interesting post John.

What happened to items of value?  I pay what I think is a fair price for an item I expect to receive value for money.

Even siting 'caveat emptor' which applies to most purchases at the time of purchasing, if I receive a product that I consider good value, I don't expect the seller to suddenly want the Item back without making it clear at the outset that there is a limited period for which I can have the product or without issuing a refund.

I haven't used Microsoft, but I do have a couple of hundred Audible books and a similar number of Kindle books.  All are held on line for me and were advertised a being for sale when I bought them. I am pretty limited lifetime book would be considered a rental in the UK so offering the books as "To buy" could be considered a permanent transaction, and so be deemed to be misleading.

It will probably end up in court.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, mutley said:

Lastest ... Nice Photoshopping, unless they are going to include some form of Depth Of View filters? 

Interesting screen shot. I'm no expert but those knobs look photoshopped...if not, they don't look quite natural enough.

Interesting play on their title too...The Microsoft Flight Simulator Team. At least they can spell "simulator", time will tell if they actually understand the definition of it.

• 2 weeks later...

July Update:

Heading into the last week of July the team is excitedly awaiting the arrival of August. There are a number of big updates planned for August and September starting with the V1 release of the Development Roadmap.

Within the next few weeks we’ll be providing the official release date for the Development Roadmap, in the meantime, we’d like to share a few of the deliverables from this plan:

August (Early/Mid) – Insider Program kickoffFirst batch of content for the Insider Program members is being prepared for delivery:

Advanced preview of the Development Roadmap

“In-Sim” content – clips captured from build.

Preview Build Program – Detailed information on first build deliverable, Insider participation sign-up

August (Mid/Late) – Development Roadmap Release (v.2019.08/drr1)Development beats through EOY 2019

Build Program Recruitment and Release timeline

SDK Update

3rd Party Content Update

UGC Content Update

August (Late) – Build Program Kickoff

Preview Build Program – Detailed information on first preview build deliverable

Preview Build Program – Public Participation sign-up

Preview Build Program – Preview of next build details

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some interesting inside information.

So this might sound like a case of a friend of a friend of a friend, knew someone, however, through some other online gaming interests, I have met a guy who works for an add-on aircraft development company. His company has a close association with MS in the development of MSFS 2020.

Some information I have gleaned from him, which is exciting if MS continue to work towards this goal, indicates that:

• aircraft systems modelling of the level only seen to date in PMDG aircraft will be the norm in MSFS 2020;
  • worldwide scenery will be high resolution photoreal, akin to satellite quality with the ability to identify real world individual buildings (no mention of autogen came up in the discussion) and accurate landclass;
  • full 3rd party add-on capability; and
  • it could have the capability to handle combat simulation, similar to / better than the level currently available in DCS World.

Obviously, the road ahead is longer than the Nullarbor Plain and just as treacherous, but if the above information is accurate, the future could be looking good. :pilotic:

Cheers

Andrew

• Like 1

The information I'm seeing and hearing about Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) makes me think that I'll end up with a triple-boot system. I'm currently dual booting Windows 7 and Linux with X-Plane 11 running on Linux and all of my FSX stuff running on Windows 7. Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) may provide a real reason for me to add Windows 10. Additionally, if Microsoft resumes development of FSX, I'll have to install the updated FSX on Windows 10, as well, while preserving my current FSX configuration and related programs on Windows 7.

Edited by Soaranden

I have to say it looks good. But unless I can user my P3D aircraft with it I wont be investing in it.  Financially I just cant justify yet another Flight sim.

Microsoft has left it to late for me. P3D is good but I think X-Plane 11 is better and I have now switched to it.

If it turns out that FS2020 is better still, then It will be a while before I can even think of switching horses again, and then what will X-Plane 12 be like?

Its a minefield.

Microsoft stood still with FSX for 14 years, and eventually its crown was toppled. As we all knew it would be. X-Plane is currently seeing a lot of love from Addon developers, seemingly at the expense of P3D addons, but they're largely playing catchup with existing products, so at some point we can reasonably expect that Addon river to dry up, or at least slow right down.

But the world doesn't slow down to wait for stragglers, and X-Plane 12 is presumably around the corner, along with P3Dv5. And yes, FS2020. Meanwhile, Intel is probably working on an i10 cpu, the NVidia 2180Ti will probably be awesomely expensive and still not have enough vram for my taste. It's a moving target, and you pay to play!

I've already got my sights set on my next FS PC: https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/configurator/reflectere-extreme and I figure if I save all the £2s I waste on the lottery each week, I might be able to afford it in about 190 years.... Course it'll probably still stutter!

Oh, and as for Microsoft splitting their effort to update and rerelease a 14 year old product in direct competition with their new flagship.... hahahahaha! good one! Yeah no. Can't see it, not in any sensible universe (but on the other hand, there are signs that this is NOT a sensible universe... cough Brexit cough)

• Like 1
On 20/08/2019 at 12:53, Tim_A said:

I've already got my sights set on my next FS PC: https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/configurator/reflectere-extreme and I figure if I save all the £2s I waste on the lottery each week, I might be able to afford it in about 190 years.... Course it'll probably still stutter!

Thats four times the price I paid for my first house back in 1971.

• Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

Ars Technica has an informative new article about the upcoming sim. Polygon also has an article. FSElite has an article, too.

And here's a video of a real pilot's reaction:

Incredible Scenery, but how does it Fly? Real Pilot 1st look: NEW Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Edited by Soaranden
  • Like 1

Rainbows? I want rainbows!

Good friend of the Hangar Pete Wright (Frooglesim) has published a video of his recent visit to Microsoft to talk to the developers about MSFS 2020, included is some video which will blow your mind! Enough.. let's watch..

Please support Pete by subscribing to his channel :)

Just watched Pete's video and listened to his views on the upcoming flight sim'. 

It looks stunning, the only thing I didn't see in the video was seasonal change. I hope they have covered that.  

All in all, I can't wait. I might have to get a second 1080ti though lol.