Aerial Minesweeper During World War II

Who knew?  Wellingtons were used as minesweepers.  Interesting article with some photos.

In one case a Wellington, which had a famously strong structure, survived a 10 g acceleration from a mine detonated while flying below the 35' safety minimum and was determined upon subsequent inspection to be undamaged.

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2019/06/17/how-fords-flathead-v-8-helped-save-lives-as-an-aerial-minesweeper-during-world-war-ii/

John

• Like 2

Both Us and the Germans used a similar system. The aircraft carried a huge magnetic ring underneath which was used to detonate mines.  We used Wellingtons and Whitleys whilst the Germans used a variety of aircraft, often HE-111s and BV-138s although JU-52s were also used in some areas.

Edited by dodgy-alan
1 hour ago, dodgy-alan said:

...JU-52s were also used in some areas.

Auntie Ju ought to have been able to set off magnetic mines all by herself, probably from an altitude of 500', without needing all that magnetic crap.  It's not like she needed more drag or anything to make her slower or uglier.

John

• Haha 2
On 01/07/2019 at 17:54, allardjd said:

Auntie Ju ought to have been able to set off magnetic mines all by herself, probably from an altitude of 500', without needing all that magnetic crap.  It's not like she needed more drag or anything to make her slower or uglier.

John

Although of course aluminium isn't magnetic. I can imagine doing that job in one of those would be somewhat buttock clenching as they were rather vulnerable when our fighters were about.  

Yeah, I knew the JU-52 isn't any more magnetic than any other aircraft, despite another of it's nicknames - Iron Annie.  She just looks like it.  Pretty amazing that there was actually an earlier single-engine version of it.  

Anyway, not enviable duty on one of those, whether sweeping mines or the more traditional trash-hauling.

John