FSX is back in Microsoft's Hands!

Latest...

logo-300x87.png

In 2014 Microsoft entered into an agreement allowing Dovetail Games to bring Flight Simulator X to Steam. Today, we are announcing that we’ve reached the end of our partnership agreement.

We would like to take this opportunity to express our sincere appreciation to Dovetail Games for the partnership they’ve provided over the past 5 years. Going forward, Microsoft will take over support of Flight Simulator X and we look forward to sharing our next steps with the community in the very near future.

Paul Jackson CEO Dovetail adds “We are incredibly proud to have looked after this fantastic flight sim during the last 5 years and we will continue publishing existing and new add-ons for FSX: Steam Edition on Steam”. This change will not impact your game experience or impact existing or future add-ons purchased from Steam.

Microsoft The return of Microsoft Flight Simulator X is an important step in embracing our accountability and responsibility to those that have come before us. And to those that continue to value and invest in the Microsoft Flight Simulator X experience. That passion, investment, and appreciation must be recognized and reflected in our commitment to carry the Microsoft Flight Simulator franchise into the next generation.

We are not building on, but building from, the product and history that is Microsoft Flight Simulator X. Today, with a bit of bittersweet sentiment, we say “Welcome Home” to an old friend. More on our FSX plans coming soon… Sincerely, The Microsoft Flight Simulator Team

So, should we expect a SP 3 including the FSX:SE improvements and more? Or does the development remain on hold in favour of MS 2020? I think I can guess the answer.

• Like 1

Mmmm! Mummy always said 'beware of strangers or MS bearing gifts'. 

Oh, it will more than likely be payware, so not exactly a gift, whatever form their updated/new flightsim will be.

EDIT: Strictly speaking, Mother never said MS at all, I just added that myself. :P 

Lockheed Martin all the way for me. Go P3D v4.5 and beyond. 

:dance3:

Could be interesting, I still run FSX and have a massive virtual hangar. It's roughly the same size as my FS9 set up was.  I rarely use the system these days as am always too busy. However the biggest frustration is having to convert all the screenshots manually from PNG to JPEG  so that Imgur accepts them.  I have a whole load of them that need converting but having to do them one by one is a real pain in the ass. 

59 minutes ago, dodgy-alan said:

Could be interesting, I still run FSX and have a massive virtual hangar. It's roughly the same size as my FS9 set up was.  I rarely use the system these days as am always too busy. However the biggest frustration is having to convert all the screenshots manually from PNG to JPEG  so that Imgur accepts them.  I have a whole load of them that need converting but having to do them one by one is a real pain in the ass. 

The freeware IrfanView program does batch conversions of images.

• Like 1

I wonder if things like an actual working 'real tine weather' will be put back into FSX, seeing as FSX will be supporting it again.

I also dread to think how much FSX 2020 will cost.  I am aware that FSX has it's issues, but I still think that it is a valid simulator and I for one, do not want to have to invest in more 'add ons'  for a new sim.  If they could make it so that FSX 'add ons' are compatible with the 2020 version, that would be great and I think that it would also help sales for the new version.  Not everyone has money to burn!

Martin