Bristol Britannia C.2......In memory of Dad.

Eastern Express(Ex-Frog) Bristol 175 Britannia C.2,  RAF Lyneham, 1960.  In 1960, the year I was born, my late Dad built the Frog boxing of this kit, He made a really good job of it and the photo shows me in his arms when I was about 2 weeks old. Then when I was about 3 he gave me the model, (once it had been drummed into me that I HAD to look after my toys.) As a 3 year old it seemed enormous! It became my first ever model and the progenitor of what became a lifelong hobby. Scroll forward to now and a year or so ago I came across this boxing of the same kit. I couldn't get the BOAC markings for it but Frog had in fact released the RAF Support Command version at the same time. I just finished building the kit after a couple of weeks work. (It's still bloody enormous!LOL)  I've built the model as a tribute to my Dad and the hobby he started me off on. Rest in peace Dad.

xC2T60g.jpg
Tb75LKq.jpg
WVpZuzK.jpg
vfmdGW2.jpg
KmSAEjj.jpg
vJOrTH3.jpg
w3sXTrx.jpg
zzYVyko.jpg
y2U8e80.jpg
gF8rcNR.jpg
Z9LI2EV.jpg
MxTW5R8.jpg
qRSuDvD.jpg
cbiWj1Q.jpg
HcneryS.jpg
NZ5bizM.jpg
0StAQiu.jpg
VggTuXE.jpg

Thanks for viewing

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Had many a flight on a Britannia.  Going on holiday years ago.  Cosford have a nice specimen outside.  By the way, Alan, you look a bonny bugger in your dad's arms.  ;)

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Neat memory. I see the model sitting on top of a record player? Ya, good ole vinyl. Nice paint job and detailing. The 2 wires - are they radio antenna related and/or structural reinforcement wires?

• Like 1
On 20/06/2020 at 04:04, Doering said:

Neat memory. I see the model sitting on top of a record player? Ya, good ole vinyl. Nice paint job and detailing. The 2 wires - are they radio antenna related and/or structural reinforcement wires?

Radio Aerials that were unique to the RAF flying command post versions.