Competition time! - Guess the Airport

Well, this is indeed the dreaded, “…single runway in the middle of nowhere...

John

EDIT:  Looks like most of the original text as well as the images are gone - attempting to re-build this (08/01/17)

Clues:  WWII Axis air base; associated with an aviation pioneer.

y4mEvHv5BFvgFVPkXqY_jw902xaKT5CYKSBjuH91

y4mBvT12l7qGVZZ00-5jCPfmjfYnCpp3u8WwB5Kx

y4muio6rQiukvJVHArMdliDbDto3n2tG11CobsGQ

y4m3CJ0NnM2XGzwsh8NyY99YJZehOXr3fUvwFhFh

y4muYPVlUFi_2Pk9vmSb5lPKbB8yNS51hf-Yl_JA

y4msDpJGqbIKgD_pxh6Iyng6FF3pJ1p5MqX7rS7J

JDA

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey John,

Did some more research and zilch!

I don't know about the other guys, my WWII knowledge is obviously not up to scratch, so looking forward to the next clue.

I thought it was in Japan too but I can only find 3 airports that fit the name, Oki, Ube, & Yao but non of these fit the bill runway wise....

The other two countries of the axis were Italy and Germany I cannot find anything there either.

I thought the Pioneer may have been Emila Earhart to start with then Howard Hughes so like I said before, stumped!!

Thanks John,

I reckon then the pioneer was Amelia Earhart.

..and the airstrip is Lae Airport, Papua New Guinea AYLA?

Again, as I am at work I can't check this out in FS.

I must admit I have never been aware of this airport, our WWII history mostly concentrated on the European conflict rather than in the Pacific Basin.

Cheers

Close enough. AYLA is not in FS9. The Lae field in that program is Nadzab, AYNZ, about 15 miles up the road from the city. I think it's the historic one, but wasn't aware of AYLA. Anyway, Lae is the place and there's only one field listed in FS9.

As you know by now, this was the departure point for Amelia Earhart's last flight, attempting to reach Howland Island. The rest is history and mystery.

Lae was used extensively by the Japanese until mid to late 1943, when they were...well, evicted. There's a photo in Wickopedia of wrecked A6M Zeros next to the runway.

Understand your focus on the ETO. That was literally a matter of survival for Britain, and the Pacific was more of a sideshow. With Americans of the era, Pearl Harbor made it personal in the Pacific.

Sorry to make this so difficult. That wasn't my intent. I remember your post that was characterized as quite simple because you knew where it was. So it was with this. I didn't intend to frustrate anyone to the point of beating up the sky in a Tornado. Great way to relieve stress, though.

John

:mrhappy:

Woo Hoo!

John that was a tricky one but I really enjoyed getting to the answer with your help.

I got the ICAO from here http://www.azworldairports.com/airports/p2275lae.htm it does appear to be the same airport as the co-ords are the same. In fact both return the same result in Google.

I wasn't really frustrated it seemed like a good tag for my post :dance:

Well I'm off to find another airport, will report back soon.

Btw everyone else and I know John doesn't mind me saying this, feel free to join in :blink:

:mrhappy: I do look at them Mut, I'm just not great at recognising airports :dance: . I tend to jump to conclusions too quickly. It has been very interesting to read over this though - some of you are very talented at this!

Anyway, looking forward to your shots.

Just want to add my thanks, John - I was coming down quietly from Haikado, researching Japanese aviators on the way (wrongly, as it happens!) and had got past the Phillipines when Mut struck gold. Well done both - I've certainly found out a lot more about an area I hardly knew existed......

And a very odd island, which may come up some time!!!

Cheers - David.

Here's the next location-

Mostly visual clues to start but 2 things to note:-

1. This is the main international airport

2. The shot over the water was only 5 minutes after we took off!

Spy satellite view-

new194.jpg

Approaching a potentially dangerous area....

new196.jpg

Addons areFS Global SE and GE Pro.

new199.jpg

Don't be fooled by the livery :mrhappy:

new200.jpg

Good luck....

Well done David you are correct. Do you want to do the next one? If so, post the name of the airport above and post a shot of a new location when you can.

If not, let us know so someone else can guess and post the next location.

I hope the lambing is going well and you've not any malpresentations.

Cheers

Hi all - found the airport during a lull.... It's Tripoli in Lybya, but my FSX default isn't very clever....

OK, you all know this one - but here's a peculiar angle:

Peakstrip.jpg

Good luck - just in case you need help (I doubt that) I can post more clues tomorrow.

Cheers - David and thanks for your kind comments, Mut :mrhappy:

OK, you all know this one - but here's a peculiar angle:

Phew I think that's quite tricky David but well done that's what we like. I reckon you won't get a guess until after the first clue :!:

Mut,

I spent some time trying to ID the liveries of the AC in the background of your runway intersection shot. Two of them are fairly clear. One appears to be BMI, and I thought, "Aha, I'm on to something!" Then I looked them up on the web and it seems they fly just about everywhere. Curses, foiled again!

There's one with a blue, white and red horizontal bar layout on the vertical stabilizer and I couldn't find anything to match that one, though my first thought on seeing it was Air France. I couldn't confirm that. It probably wouldn't have helped much anyway.

There really wasn't much to go on there. Congrats to David for ID'ing it on such a thin thread.

John

I agree John, I was surprised that David got it so quickly!

At the moment I don't have an airliner traffic program installed, I do have Traffic 2005 from Just Flight but haven't re-installed it yet so most airliners in my shots are default.

I must get my act together and get some traffic installed. I am waiting to see what Traffic X is going to be like so have not installed T 2005 into FSX yet.

Cheers

I have Traffic 2005 and the Military 1 PlusPak installed and am pretty pleased overall. The Repaint Assistant utility that comes with it is a great little tool for looking up liveries in the guess-the-airport competitions, but don't tell anyone....

John

O.K. guys - here are some more clues (and a confession....)

1 The airfield's on an island.

2 There is a volcano nearby.

3 - and this is the confession :!: - the high peak in is in FSX (see pics) and may not be in previous FS versions - sorry about that....

Here we are coming around the peak - airfield in view:

Peakandairfield.jpg

and here's the top-down view of the airfield:

1533Islandairfield.jpg

Hope you're still with us :cool: ....... Thanks to photobucket for image storage.

Cheers - David.

Hi Phil - yes, you are getting warm. I think Captain Cook visited Honolulu and went on to find this island. Subsequently, a lot of missionaries were eaten :cool: by the natives! WWII passed it by almost unnoticed....

It looks like this on google:

Googleview.jpg

I'll post more clues tomorrow - if anyone's still awake :wink:

Cheers - David.