GTX285 or 400 series?

Hi Brian,

I think it depends on whether you want DX11 compatibility or not.

For FSX I expect performance gain of the GX400 over the GX285 would not be so noticeable as to justify the big jump in prices?, you are better off putting your money into a faster processor.

Cheers

Hi Brian,

I think it depends on whether you want DX11 compatibility or not.

For FSX I expect performance gain of the GX400 over the GX285 would not be so noticeable as to justify the big jump in prices?, you are better off putting your money into a faster processor.

Cheers

Hi Mut', thanks for your thoughts. If I were to purchase a faster processor (i7) and keep my 8600gt card would I get a better quality of graphics or would it stay much the same as I have now?

Also, if I were to go down the cpu route, would I then have to upgrade memory also?

I'm just looking for a better graphic quality to my screenies, as at the moment I'm not in a position to upgrade my whole rig. :biggrin: poor me. :thum:

Hope what I have said makes sense.

Regards

Ah, you definitely need a new graphics card, I would go with the GTX285, and look for a processor upgrade later on.

The FPS will depend more on your processor speed but you should get better, smoother graphics.

Don't just take my word for it though, please get some other opinions!

Cheers

Ah, you definitely need a new graphics card, I would go with the GTX285, and look for a processor upgrade later on.

The FPS will depend more on your processor speed but you should get better, smoother graphics.

Don't just take my word for it though, please get some other opinions!

Cheers

Thanks again Joe.

I have been reading other forum posts regarding this issue and I was of the opinion that the 285GTX card was more than sufficient for FSX, but just wanted to confirm it before I spent

• 1 month later...

Be careful with twin chip cards.... check out benchmarks first.

If you need a good card for other gaming, go for a GTX280.

If you only want it for FS9/X, the 9800GTX (now a GTS 250), is arguably, the best card for resolutions up to 19x12 ! And, it's only

Thanks for your thoughts Gabe', much appreciated. I now own a 285GTX a :faint: nd I am hoping for an i7 CPU for xmas along with some hard saving to get some ddr3 and a new mobo. How's that for wishful thinking :smile:

I will have to be on my best behaviour to get these things for xmas though

Sounds nice. Even if some benchmarks show the twin-chip cards and newer 400-series dropping a few fps compared to older cards, it does seem rather counter-intuitive to cripple a decent system with a lowly 9-series GC !

And, if you ever use multiple monitors, it will come into its own then... big style ! And, of course for other games, you can't go wrong... and after all, most people do use their PCs for other things.

• 3 months later...

Thought I'd rejuvenate this post, as I've got my eyes on the 768MB GTX 460.

Now down to just £125... and some 33%-odd faster than the GTX 280... plus DirectX 11 support.

Hard to believe that this card is 50%-odd faster than my old GTX 260 that cost me nearly 200 notes 18 months ago.

• 6 months later...

Needles. How is your performance with new video card?

I am wondering the same thing.

Currently have a 8800GT, but it's starting to show it's age.So, decided to look at the GTX 295 which you can get surprisingly cheap, but researching on Google, the 295 have serious issues with FSX due to it's dual GFX chip and doesn't preform well. Despite this, am now looking at getting the GTX 285 which got rave reviews.

ATI HD 6970 or Nvidia GTX 580?

I've got my eyes on both and is the extra price of the GTX worth the slightly better performance over the HD? Will be used for other games and coupled to an i7 2600k.

Cheers in advance. :)

Hi Guys,

Apologies for not replying sooner. No excuses.

I have noticed a real difference now that I have the 285GTX card. It is far better than the 8600GT card but having said that I am a bit of a upgrade nutter and when I have the cash available I will be getting a 570 or 580 card of some description. My advice would be to get the very best card you can afford and you won't go far wrong. Also though you must remeber that FSX is very rescource hungry so you will definately need the fastest CPU you can afford to get any benefit out of FSX.

Hope this helps a little in your descision making.

Happy simming :001_th_smiles89:

But why a 285 ?

The 460 is as good or better - AND cheaper... and does DirectX 11.

Just get the 1GB version.

Oh, and it uses less power... just 28 amps on the 12v rail. Together with a SBridge at 4.5 GHz, you only need a 550 W PSU !

Hi Gabe,

I was just explaining that I had bought the gtx285 before the newer cards came out and also the cost when the new ones came out was prohibitive for me.

I do have a 1Gb 285gtx at the moment but when funds allow, I will most definately be getting one of the high end cards.

I was just comparing the 285 against the 6800GT.

:001_th_smiles89:

Oh, I see sorry - didn't read properly.

I agree, it isn't really worth the upgrade from a 285, unless you go for a high-end 5-series. There is little difference between them.

As for whether it's worth it for FSX... depends on your resolution, and whether your CPU etc. is delivering enough info. for the GPU to be limiting - which it is certainly starting to do now the SBs etc. are out.

If you are a gamer though... get the best GPU you can afford... and send me your 285 !!!