FSAddon Lysander - Special Operations

banner.jpg

The latest review to hit our screens is FSAddon Lysander Special Operations published by Aerosoft.

Our reviewer Joe (Me) has been deep undercover to review this one!

Click on the image above or Here to read the review.

Cheers,

Joe

Mut,

Very enjoyable review of an interesting new product. I actually saw one of these a few years ago, down in Lakeland, Florida. I don't know if it was flyable, but looked as if it might be. It looked as if you could get a nose-bleed just climbing up into that high, high cockpit.

I've always found this AC interesting. It's no small thing - huge really, and it's always surprised me it could only carry two, or three in a pinch. It must have been a limitation of space rather than of power and lift - from what you say it sounds like it could haul a load of anvils. I wonder how it would do in AirHauler?

Thanks for another great MH review.

John

Great stuff Joe! It seems ages ago that I read your first draft of this

Francois Dumas is to blame! He has only just delivered the new installer and manual changes after my initial reports back to Aerosoft. The product's a goodun now!

Joe

• 2 years later...

Just a quick heads up to say I have added some bonus content to this review by way of a semi auto biographical story by Bob Lomas.

It's great to have feedback like this especially from one of our veterans!

The link is at the bottom of the original review.

if you fly any small plane like a tail dragger you wont go far wrong

How do you land a tail dragger?

well as you get closer to the ground and the speed comes off the idea is that slowly but surely as the speed comes off, you pull the stick back further and further, to keep the nose up, until as the stick hits the aft stop , the wheels kiss the ground, job done

Thank Nigel, :thum:  I do like the tail draggers and have a lot of them. This aircraft is a bouncer, a little different that most and you need to get it just right. It's even harder in the missions when your trying to land in a short farm field with trees all around.

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies Joe for only just getting to read your review. Great!

As for Mr Lomas' story, the hairs on my neck are still tingling.

It would be great to sit and chat to him and others that are still around, of their experiences during those dark days.

Thanks to you and Bob.

Cheers

:thum:

• 3 months later...

I forgot to mention this here but in case you get a download where the red panel night lighting does not work for you try this fix I posted in the FSAddon forum.

If the panel lights do not work try this…..
Look in either of the Lysander aircraft folders(Path:C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\FSAddon Lysander) and you will see an Effect folder. From inside that folder copy the following files to your main FSX Effects folder:
fx_landing_light_cj.fx
fx_vclight_liz.fx
fx_vclight_liz2.fx

also copy the following textures from the aircraft effect/texture folder to your main FSX Effects/Texture folder. There are two, but one of them might already be in there. I suggest to never just overwrite a old file with a new one unless you back up the original first.

a.bmp
fx_2.bmp (might already have)

Restart FSX (or regenerate the aircraft) open up the aircraft and left click/right click the gauge lighting switch to adjust brightness.

Great review Joe, This is on my must get list!  

One point though, by the screenshot of the black Lysander you say "fitted with long range tanks". the cylinder under the belly of the Lysander was not a fuel tank but a storage unit for stowing equipment to be delivered to Resistance fighters. 

Forgive me John but this is the special operations version, the one you mentioned MA-B (V9367) is part of the Shuttleworth collection.

Please see Lysander at Old Warden - 

"Purchased in 1998 by the Shuttleworth Collection. It has been fully restored, repainted and fitted with dummy long range fuel tank and ladder to represent V9367 / MA-B an aircraft of 161 Squadron."

Cheers,

Joe