New Review - FTX Bundaberg YBUD

banner.jpg

Our latest review is from our Staff Reviewer, Joe Lawford.

Bundaberg is situated on the north-east coast of Queensland, Australia. A medium-sized regional airport and close-by to the coral reefs.

It was the home of Bert Hinkler the first person to fly solo from England to Australia in Feb 1928 and has a aviation museum and his original house transported brick by brick from the England.

Bundaberg is also home to a well known rum, all around the area are sugar cane fields that feed the factory. So how well has Orbx managed to illustrate this wealth of interest?

Read on...

Very nice.

Crikey, even the caravan park appears to have more polygons than a typical default airport !

Makes me salivate though, and want a very powerful PC to enjoy it.

BTW, do you think the animated people are a good addition ? Would you like to see them added to all their airfields ? I can't help thinking they may hit the FPS somewhat, but at least you can turn it off if you wish.

Rumour has it that they have created a new ORBx Object library that will improve performance across their entire product range. Should be interesting.

The animated people didn't do much for me, they just follow the same somewhat aimless journey, no affect on my performance.

Orbx are constantly updating the object library. I think we are in for a SP4 of the series (Hence the 50% off the SP3 version at the moment)so that would explain it

Nice review Joe, and a good read also. I liked your inclusion of the history part too. A good touch.

I am going to have to get into Aussie flying methinks. There are just so many airports/fields to choose from with staggering detail from Orbx and FTX.

Cheers

The one thing that annoys me about the OrbX airfields, is that there is no setting below "Normal".

With some you can "weed out" a few BGL files, but generally, it's either Normal or nothing - bare, squat, nought.

They are truly beautiful creations, no doubt, but if you have suckish tech., you've got no chance of using them with anything other than a microlite, unless you want a slide show.

But, I reckon ORBX are possibly responsible for a huge chunk of i7 system sales !

Gabe I agree. Look at FTX YBBN, Im lucky to get 20FPS at that airport (12FPS actually)..

Thats what annoys me, FlyTampa have high FPS airports with detailed taxiways etc, and Orbx have low FPS airports with "photoreal" taxiways etc. FlyTampa win IMHO. - By that I refer to INTL airports.

Hi Joe and Guys,

Firstly, a really thorough and nice review Joe, I really enjoyed reading it. The background information was fantastic, and very informative.

The Hinkler museum and Hinkler House were on the to-do list, but lack of photosource put them on the backburner. I'll try to rectify that once I have some photos.

If you are having FPS issues at YBUD, then (as with all ORBX airports) there is a Control Panel to remove scenery elements that you do not want. The scenery slider does indeed have some effect (between Extremely Dense and Normal) It won't remove airport buildings however, or the ground surface, which is FSX-native and fully optimised.

From the support issues we have had, I would have to say that FPS have not bean among them for this scenery, so I am a little suprised to see it spotlighted or mentioned here. In fact, my impression during the beta phase and customer responses has been that performance was not an issue for any users.

The autogen slider will have the single biggest effect on performance in scenery like this, but to give you an idea I can fly this scenery at 40 FPS, with all sliders right (except water Low 2.x) at 40-50FPS using a carenado or the Orbx Lancair in VC view. Admittedly this is a 980X at 4.2Ghz, with a GTX 480.

Jerry, who co-developed the modelling and industrial placements uses a CoreDuo, but can fly this comfortable with Autogen at Normal, and all scenery elements activated ... including the RV yard.

Once again, thanks for all the interest. It has been personally gratifying for me to see how this scenery has been received.

Ian Routley

Ian-

Hands down YBUD is my favourite place to fly! Im going to invest into YBAS and AU RED just because your partly working on it!! With the FPS - YBUD has no issues to me (40FPS in the A2A w/ accusim VC). I meant by Brisbane and Canberra - im lucky to get 20FPS!!

Again, great work Ian.

Hi Joe and Guys,

Firstly, a really thorough and nice review Joe, I really enjoyed reading it. The background information was fantastic, and very informative.

The Hinkler museum and Hinkler House were on the to-do list, but lack of photosource put them on the backburner. I'll try to rectify that once I have some photos.

If you are having FPS issues at YBUD, then (as with all ORBX airports) there is a Control Panel to remove scenery elements that you do not want. The scenery slider does indeed have some effect (between Extremely Dense and Normal) It won't remove airport buildings however, or the ground surface, which is FSX-native and fully optimised.

From the support issues we have had, I would have to say that FPS have not bean among them for this scenery, so I am a little suprised to see it spotlighted or mentioned here. In fact, my impression during the beta phase and customer responses has been that performance was not an issue for any users.

The autogen slider will have the single biggest effect on performance in scenery like this, but to give you an idea I can fly this scenery at 40 FPS, with all sliders right (except water Low 2.x) at 40-50FPS using a carenado or the Orbx Lancair in VC view. Admittedly this is a 980X at 4.2Ghz, with a GTX 480.

Jerry, who co-developed the modelling and industrial placements uses a CoreDuo, but can fly this comfortable with Autogen at Normal, and all scenery elements activated ... including the RV yard.

Once again, thanks for all the interest. It has been personally gratifying for me to see how this scenery has been received.

Ian Routley

Hi Ian,

I am pleased you liked the review, credit where it is due, you did a fantastic job. I can tell you spent a lot of time studying the area, my obsession with the aviation museum and Bert Hinkler's house I expect is verging on the fanatic, sorry about that. I spent a lot of time researching so I guess it meant a lot to me living only 15k from where Bert's house was originally situated.

Re the performance, I am sorry if it came across that I had issues, because I didn't. I do have a high spec machine and I tried to explain that although this is a very densely populated area autogen wise you can afford to run with higher detail due to the well optimised textures.

Thanks for the feedback and send by regards to Jerry as he made a fine contribution too.

Regards,

Joe