Hi all!

Here's some shots from my first flight in the pre-release CL-44, modelled by Garry Russell and Fraser McKay from Classic British Flight Sim. It's a fantastic little model(with a take-off weight of 210,000lbs! Yeah, right!), with lots of little things! I must stress at this point it is WIP, certain things may not be right and it's currently not for general release.

Built for FS9, it's reported that it works OK in FSX, just don't quote me on that! I had to try it out after Leif Harding, now a firm friend, invited me to try it out

So, here we are on the ramp at EGNX - engines running as I haven't read the manual yet!

-2011-sep-28-002.jpg

Pushback

-2011-sep-28-003.jpg

Taxiing

-2011-sep-28-005.jpg

The superb 2-D panel

-2011-sep-28-006.jpg

An EE Lightning

-2011-sep-28-008.jpg

A Volga-Dneper An-124-100

-2011-sep-28-009.jpg

Just waiting for this 737-400 to take off

-2011-sep-28-010.jpg

Lined up

-2011-sep-28-015.jpg

She just lifted herself off the ground very gracefully!

-2011-sep-28-016.jpg

Gear up! This retraction is very good, as the mains rotate so they face down, then swing back. The left side (from the cockpit) raises

before the right

-2011-sep-28-019.jpg

Banking around

-2011-sep-28-024.jpg

Abeam the airfield

-2011-sep-28-026.jpg

Gear down - another interesting set, as the mains practically come all the way down before the front leg comes out!

-2011-sep-28-028.jpg

Finals

-2011-sep-28-030.jpg

Touchdown

-2011-sep-28-042.jpg

Full reverse and brakes

-2011-sep-28-044.jpg

Taxiing back in

-2011-sep-28-045.jpg

-2011-sep-28-046.jpg

Our parking spot is where the '124's park - well the one's I've seen there anyway!

-2011-sep-28-047.jpg

Front door open with the engines shut down

-2011-sep-28-052.jpg

Tail open

-2011-sep-28-053.jpg

-2011-sep-28-054.jpg

The ground engineer standing in the cockpit

-2011-sep-28-057.jpg

One final look

-2011-sep-28-055.jpg

Thanks for viewing!

Kieran

Looks great so far, I,ll have to have this one for my hangar as currently only got the old Mike Stone one. All the members of the Britannia family are very elegant aircraft and among my favourites. Did you know that the later CL44s were fitted with the windscreens from the Convair CV880 as the new US regulations that appeared deemed the multi panel Britannia style screens gave too many blindspots. Canadair looked around for a resolution to the problem and discovered the CV880 unit fitted in perfectly with little modification so they were adopted. They also built a "Guppy" version of the aircraft called the Conroy CL44. Its a fascinating aircraft and had a long and distinguished career. When I lived on the edge of heathrow we used to see lots of them, most flown by Seaboard World Airlines before they were replaced with DC-8Fs

Alan

Garry Russell plans the complete series from the Yukon through the Guppy complete with a full package of Paints -- the UK ones will be familar to you

BAF,TMAC,Tradewinds and RedCoat , The PreRelease model that Kieran is reviewing will be available at www.britsim.com very shortly - its a BIG file over 120mb including

Frasers brilliant panel and sound set, I can tell you there will be no VC for either Fs9 or FSX -- however again, Frasers cockpit is so indepth you wont miss it

believe me.

Garry also has a FULL Britannia package he is working on of ALL models both Pax and Cargo , again the Cockpit will be very very immersive. These are not hop in and Ctrl E to go flying.

You really have to RTFM!!!

If you cant wait for the Prerelease package to appear at the Pond you can get a copy at www.CBFSim.org - but you have to be a registered member.

On another Bristol sort of note.....Garry has kindly agreed to release his Bristol 170 Mk32 Superfrieghter package --hopefully we can get bot that and the 44 up at The Pond today

Please when you get them do read the documentation including as Garry and Fraser would like feed back on the 44

Leif

I can confirm that all looks good in FSX.

However, I did opt for a manual install eventhough it installs from an exe file, here is the result:

gta019.jpg

I had problems getting the engines running and after an hour gave up, for some reason I could only get the port engines running, it's it's probably me, I need to spend more time studying the manual.

Having said that,everything I have seen so far is superb.

Thanks for the info Lief. I look forward to seeing the finished product when it comes out, The Bristol Super Frightener (that was the nickname they aquired) sounds good, I have the original short nose version done by Mike Stone so the super will make a nice addition. Re the Britannia I have the excellent JBK offering in my hangar and that really is nice, A good selection of liveries too, so the CL44 will make a nice companion to it.

A couple of projects I would love to see in FS would be the Boulton Paul Defiant for FS9 and FSX. I believe the only one so far is for CFS. Also the largely forgotten Fairey Hendon. This was the RAFs first large monoplane bomber and was a contempory of the Handley Page Heyford and Bristol Bombay(only one of those in FS availiable too and not that brilliant !). The Hendon was a big aircraft but rarely seen in publications and I,ve never found one on sim. In fact when you look at the interwar years 1920-39 the RAF is poorly represented in FS yet there were some fantastic aircraft built.

Hey Mut

Simple thing == did you check the fuel panel to see if the cross feeds and boosters to three and four were open , Then - and a lot of people had trouble with this because the Proteus and the Tyne used different systems - The Britannia was an internal start ( no air start cart required) Where as the Tynes in the 44 were all bleed air started - so #1 is started from a ground air start cart *(huffer) then bleed air from # 1 is selected to the appropriate engine, I told you, Fraser makes a very immersive cockpit, that's why many many people binned Rick Pipers Viscount because they couldn't be bothered to RTFM and keep the Darts feed

especially in icing conditions. Anyway stop by the Ponds thread on the 44 and you will find Garry close at hand to help you.

Alan

I totally agree with you about the interwar period with the exception of Ted Cooks excellent work , the RAF models have been largely ignored, I cannot speak for the Devs. at the Pond , but at present no one is working in that area (caused as much by the lack of information available) I agree the Hendon would be a wonderful addition -- of course the could thing is that Gary Jones has already produced a Roll Royce Kestrel sound file , Maybe Uncle Ted could be persuaded to produce it. And finally to the Britannia - no offence but Garry Russell's Britannia has been in development prior to Jens version, the cockpit is another Fraser jem, and includes the Britannia's unique electrical system and even such niceties as BrakeDwell, The only problem with the Brit is producing a good sound set, the Proteus and specifically the Brit with its sixteen foot paddle blades made a very very unique sound, both inside and out (I spent from the early 60s to the late 70s around Britannia's initally from the outside at Luton (Britannia Airways, British Eagle BKS

BUA , Transglobe then Monarch, Air Spain, Cubana.) The at IAS as a loadmaster I spent four years riding 300s. Oh yes I also flew as a loadie on HB-IEN the Transvalair CL44 operated obo IAS. So Garry and I had a couple of conversations while he was producing the 44.

Leif

Hi Mut

Thought I'd better join up

You won't be able to manual start in FS.X...this is why it's not FS.X supported as there are some issues to be sorted for the portover version.

You should be able to start with the Rapid Start button and always go through a default with this one as the coding can be upset if you don't start clean.

To be sure use the cold start icon to make sure everythings re set.

General queries can be posted at the support forum on Classic British Flight Sim but there is no specific FS.X support at this time

The L key should not be used for the lights either or Z for the autopilot. Everything like this should be switched from the panel

If the L key is used the landing lights come on with the switch in the off position and needs to be turned on then off again. "L" also turns the wing inspection lights on which are only used at certain times. This, I think, is why I'm seeing so many pics with the landing light on in the retracted wing and the inspection light on in the outer nacelles.

If anyone prefers the rapid start get most things up and running.

BTW...turning the power over to GPU on the electrical panel gets the GPU unit to appear.

This is a part of a Britannia project covering everything except the Argus

Alan..

Urban myth...... it's not a CV880 windscreen, Different size, different shapes, different number of windows.

Garry

Garry,

Thanks very much for the feedback, I am hoping to have a flight later so will follow your advice.

I will of course use your 44 forum on CBFS if I have any queries.

Good luck with the continuation of the project.

Cheers

Joe

Alan..

Urban myth...... it's not a CV880 windscreen, Different size, different shapes, different number of windows.

Garry

Really, I never knew that. Ive heard the story from so many different scources that I assumed it was true. one of those scources being the chief engineer from British Eagle who was a mate of my old mans! I flew on B/Es Brits a few times due to this connnection, often on post servicing engineering flights. That unique sound is never forgotten. The whispering giant was one beautiful aeroplane. I look forward to seeing the new Brit sim then!! If its even better than JBKs then we're in for a treat!

Take a look at a pic of the two types and you'll see what I mean

General Dynamics owned Canadair at the time and I think what probabably happened is some said they'd re do the windscreen like a CV 880 meaning a general starting point for an idea and the statement was taken literally.

But it is not a CV880 windscreen.

The term is usually that they adapted the CV 800 unit, but by that they mean changed everything...much like the VC 10 used an adapted (read re designed) Vangaurd fuse

Canadair did use another windscreen on one of their "Britannia " redesigns but that's never mentioned

The Argus has a Convair 580 type windscreen a type they were building at the time and the odd cross section below the flight deck is where they fitted the diameter of the CV-580 fuse to the diameter of the Britannia fuse

Thanks for the info Garry, Talking of the VC-10 did you know the original name for that aircraft was the Vanjet!! Also while we're on the subject how about making Vickers long lost dream come to life. the Vickers V1,000. This was the aircraft that was originally built in response to an RAF requirement and was a competitor to the B707. It was the direct predecessor of the VC-10. From some angles it looked a bit like an enlarged version of the stillborn Comet 5, (which in turn looks like a B757 from the side!)

Indeed the VC 10 came out of the Vanjet and retained the double bubble fuse but the crease was faired over. The windscreen retains a certain similarity

The V.1000 AKA VC 7 was an airliner development of the Valiant

It's unlikely I'll ever make one as it was never completed

I have too many other projects in the pipeline as it is to follow on at a later time

Like this for example

31AAABcopy.jpg

Garry

Hi Garry,

I had a lot of strange issues with my PC Saturday with control inputs and my Saitek switch panel not working, I calibrate my controllers via FSUIPC but all the settings went haywire hence not being able to fire up the starboard engines.

When tracking back, uninstalling items it appears the gauge file may have been causing some problems with the sim but it's very difficult to get a time line on it as I was doing several things at once (Beta testing and review writing!)

I haven't mentioned anything yet as it may have been totally unconnected but I have to re-install it and try again, I have printed out the manual so I can follow the procedures correctly!!

Cheers

Joe

Hi Joe

You won't be able to start it manually in FS.X......as you found you can get one engine going. Mods will be made for the FS.X portover version

This happens in FS.9 if you try and strt with CTRL E, only #1 will start.

I think you will be able to start with the rapid start.

ATB

Garry