Te Wai Pounamu o Aotearoa

... or, The South Island of New Zealand (unless google has seriously misled me!)

This started out as a trip to Golden Bay and Farewell Spit, but I got a little distracted on the way…!

ta309.jpg

Well, here I am in Nelson, giving the plane a quick once over.

ta327.jpg

Departing runway 02. This is a payware quality airport that would easily sell for £15 from many other developers.

ta334.jpg

This is the Nelson CBD and port. The airport is visible on the right.

ta342.jpg

I'm now heading out towards Abel Tasman, following the coast, and here I'm approaching the town of Motueka.

ta351.jpg

Just past Motueka is Kaiteriteri, subject of many a picture postcard.

ta358.jpg

Further round the headland, we reach the Awaroa Inlet

ta365.jpg

The Awaroa Lodge Hotel is only accessible by plane/helicopter, boat, or on foot! I think we'll pay a visit. That little green patch is the landing strip...

ta370.jpg

Final. This is very much a one way in-one way out kind of place!

ta373.jpg

ta374e.jpg

ta377.jpg

ta378.jpg

ta379.jpg

Nice thing about the 182 is its STOL nature, and we have absolutely no trouble getting in. Taxi up to the top of the hill, and we should find the lodge...

Continuing along the coast...

ta382.jpg

ta388.jpg

ta391.jpg

ta394.jpg

ta397.jpg

I don't normally do this, but for this picture I slewed up to 12,000 ft, in order to get a really good look. This is Farewell Spit.

ta404.jpg

ta410.jpg

This is Collingwood. It literally is the end of the road.

ta414.jpg

And now we're approaching Tokaka, a small strip.

ta415.jpg

Final.

ta427.jpg

Even though it's just a small strip, the zombi people here are animated.

mapr.jpg

Today's flight takes us from Takaka back over the hills to Motueka and Malibu Park, then on to our destination, a small strip known as Brewerton Creek…

ta705.jpg

Tranquil little airfield… time to commit aviation!

ta708.jpg

Tyre tracks on the taxiway - a nice touch.

ta718.jpg

Climbing inland

ta721.jpg

ta724.jpg

We need to clear that ridge… 6000ft should do it

ta728.jpg

Yay!

ta732.jpg

And down the other side!

ta745.jpg

Flyby of Motueka airstrip. That glider is waiting for a launch - there is a winch at the far end of the runway, but I don't think they actually launch, at least I didn't see any.

ta749.jpg

Climbing away

ta751.jpg

The iconic windbreaks

ta753.jpg

Overflying Brightwater airfield. We'll do a touch and go here.

ta759.jpg

There's always someone sitting on a bench, ready to be a critic!

ta761.jpg

Low down crops

ta774.jpg

And so on to our destinationn. Clearing a ridge, the strip comes into view. I've circled it here in yellow. Yes seriously - it's just 305m long! I'm going to have to descend down the valley and make a U-turn, with a late turn onto final.

ta780.jpg

Here we are; you almost wouldn't believe this was an airstrip - mind out for the tractor!

ta781.jpg

Bumpety bump… there's the windsock

ta782.jpg

Phew that was close! For a moment there I thought I wouldn't stop before the trees!

Well, I've done a lot of flying but not much posting over the holiday, so here's a bit of catchup.

Firstly, part 2 of my flight in the Tecnam. You'll remember that we'd just got in to the little strip at Brewerton Creek, and narrowly missed the trees...

routegj.jpg

We'll be turning left and heading up the valley. A quick hop over the hills will bring us into the next valley and Nelson Lakes. We'll then follow State Highway 63 to lake Rotoiti and St Arnaud, from which we head down the Wairau valley to Woodbourne.

ta788.jpg

There are two key points in our Before Takeoff briefing: 1. Miss the tractor. and 2. Turn left before we hit the far side of the valley!

ta794.jpg

Success in both points!

ta806.jpg

Here we are on short final at Nelson Lakes. You'll notice the glider winch situated at the end of the runway.

ta808.jpg

Glider pilots stand around talking, just like Real Pilots… ;)

ta814.jpg

After taking off again, we get a good view of the gliding setup at Lake Station.

ta815.jpg

ta818.jpg

Lake Rotoiti is our turning point.

ta820.jpg

Nice view up the lake.

ta822.jpg

And heading down the Wairau Valley

ta834.jpg

ta839.jpg

Final for Woodbourne.

Next time we'll be messing about on the water...

Today's trip takes us up into the Marlborough Sounds, for some watery action, and so we'll switch to an amphib.

We'll start at Omaka, just down the road from our last destination, and follow the main road North to Picton. Picton is the main port for the ferries that cross the strait between North and South islands. From there we'll take a look at Endeavour Inlet, and cruise around the sounds to end up at the grass strip at Clova Bay.

ta861.jpg

There's a barbecue on the go. Prawns, anyone?

ta865.jpg

ta871.jpg

ta879.jpg

This airfield is Koromiko. More of this next time.

ta883.jpg

ta885.jpg

We've missed the ferry! Let's go in for a landing...

ta889.jpg

ta892.jpg

ta896.jpg

ta910.jpg

ta913.jpg

We've caught up with the InterIslander ferry, heading for Wellington!

ta918.jpg

ta923.jpg

ta925.jpg

ta935.jpg

ta937.jpg

ta942.jpg

ta945.jpg

ta949.jpg

ta951.jpg

ta953.jpg

ta955.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I was talking about these pictures of the Skycatcher on the podcast, and I realised I hadn't posted them. Ho hum! Anyhow, here they are.

So, in this trip we're starting out from Koromiko (this is the airfield that we passed last time on the way to Picton). We'll take a trip out over the sounds (familiar territory), past Clova bay where we landed last time, aug to Port Hardy, then back to the mainland, through the valleys to the town of Havelock and finally to a short hillside strip called Long Valley Strip. It's the valley that's long, not the strip.

Anyway, here we go...

ta1048.jpg

ta1058.jpg

ta1061.jpg

ta1065.jpg

ta1069.jpg

ta1073.jpg

ta1080.jpg

ta1083.jpg

ta1087.jpg

ta1090.jpg

ta1096.jpg

ta1098.jpg

ta1100.jpg

ta1102.jpg

ta1103.jpg

ta1106.jpg

And just to round it off, here's a postcard view, looking along the valley towards Havelock.

overlooking-havelock-and-marlborough-sounds.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Buller Gorge

Today we're heading out to the west coast. We're starting at Murchison, and we'll finish up at Westport.

mapji.jpg

Now, we can either take the direct route and go 'over the top', or we can go down the gorge. I'll let you figure out which we do...

ta1109.jpg

ta1111.jpg

ta1121.jpg

ta1127.jpg

ta1128.jpg

ta1129.jpg

ta1137.jpg

ta1146.jpg

ta1148.jpg

ta1154.jpg

ta1157.jpg

ta1160.jpg

ta1164.jpg

ta1167.jpg

ta1168.jpg

ta1179.jpg

ta1182.jpg

ta1183.jpg

ta1186.jpg

We're going to take a short break halfway down the gorge, at Reefton, for a cuppa and change of underthings. Look out for part two, very soon, but meanwhile here are a few postcards...

hawks%20crag%20buller%20gorge.jpg

11-Buller%2BGorge%2B2.jpg

Great shots Tim.

You really show off all the good sides of this magnificent scenery.

If I can find the time I'm thinking of doing a "Lord of the rings" tour in the future. From what I have found there's plenty of spots on the south island that was used in making the films.

Today we're heading North up the West coaxt, to Karamea. But first a quick visit to Cape Foulwind…

ta001.jpg

We're back in the 182 today.

ta009.jpg

Lift off. You can see where we'll be going later.

ta016.jpg

but first, a 180 takes us downwind

ta021.jpg

The cement works is clearly marked on aviation charts. You can see the little strip we're visiting ahead of us.

ta025.jpg

Cape Foulwind. Named by Captain Cook, after his ship, the Endeavour was blown out to sea. There is a large seal colony resident here.

ta027b.jpg

The airstrip features this impressive-looking JCB!

ta033.jpg

Now we're heading North towards Karamea.

ta039.jpg

ta041.jpg

ta044.jpg

ta047.jpg

ta048.jpg

ta055.jpg

ta062z.jpg

Postcard:

800px-Cape_Foulwind_And_Holcim_Cement_Westport.jpg

Cape Foulwind lives up to its name