Bonjour,

Up to now I have been quite satisfied with FSX default weather, but I continue to hear rave reviews of REX ...... so, before I buy this addon, just a request for the latest views of the forum.

I would only use the sky aspects (or maybe the sea stuff!), so is it worth it, does it reduce frame-rate appreciably, and does it take up much disk space (all critical for me!)

Thanks ...... David

Bonjour,

Up to now I have been quite satisfied with FSX default weather, but I continue to hear rave reviews of REX ...... so, before I buy this addon, just a request for the latest views of the forum.

I would only use the sky aspects (or maybe the sea stuff!), so is it worth it, does it reduce frame-rate appreciably, and does it take up much disk space (all critical for me!)

Thanks ...... David

i certainly wouldn't fly without it, it brings a whole new graphical life to FS9/X. The cloud, ground (airports only), sky and sea textures are simply transformed and far more realistic.

I use REX for the textures and Active Sky for the weather engine.

I would definitely recommend REX for sure - you will notice such a difference and IMO it did not have any impact on my performance (others may disagree)

Just a heads up though, Active Sky are releasing a product that also has textures so it may be worth waiting for that? Worth a look either way :)

I never fly without REX/AS enabled now

Good Luck!

Totally agree, REX is one of the must haves for me also. It's one of the first addons I bought when I started flying in FSX and I haven't regretted it at all. Regarding frame rates, I've used it so long I can't really do a comparison but my machine (spec in profile) runs it with no problem at all over Horizon Photo scenery in the UK and Orbx scenery over the US/Canada.

Highly recommended for me :thum:

• 4 weeks later...

Just before I get my credit card out ...... how does REX3 (with free update) compare with:-

... World Enviroment 2012, or

... Active Sky 2012

Anyone? Bearing in mind that I have limited disk-space, and will only be interested in "sky effects" (and possibly "ground stuff" §

...... David

I used to use active sky but i found REX's sea colours and clouds more realistic ok times move on and active sky have updated their effort, and it is currently for sale however REX not to be outdone is finalising an update called esential but it will be free to all existing clients which will address all current issues, judging by the various forums all over the place you have 2 camps all claiming their camp is better than the other so you pays your money and you takes ya choice

However David if disk size is getting an issue I would address that problem before putting more software on board, as that is something you will have to do something about whether you like it or not. My advice is get a second hard drive leaving the operating system on your existing hard drive and re-install fsx in all its glory , or whatever on the new drive, it is really very easy.

If it were done when ’tis done, then ’twere well it were done quickly... as it were.

In other words, better to put new disc(s) in before you install even more stuff that you'll only have to reinstall. Unfortunately the unglamorous bits on infrastructure also cost, but if it need's to be done...