How to vent your frustration!

Dave,

The F-4 Phantom was quite a smudge pot too, at least the real thing was. Not sure if any of the programmers captured that or not. But then, when you're dropping naphalm, I guess the exhaust is small potatoes.

John

• 5 years later...

Trust me, roast seagull is disgusting, I know we caught one once on on of the ships I was on and tried it, very oily! and when you cut them open they stink of fish! EEWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

As an aside when we were in San Francisco Harbour the pollution control was very strict and we were getting somewhat pi--ed off with the gulls raiding our garbage cans (which were lashed to the rails at the stern) as whenever they threw stuff into the harbour we incurred a fine. so we took to destroying them. ( remember this was in the late 70s)Firstly by fishing for them,(throwing a load of bread up into the air so they swooped down for it, one of the pieces was attached to a fishing line, when the gull got so high we yanked the line and pulled its head off! the other gulls then ate the dead one.) the other method was using Alka Seltzer, agin throwing bread up for the birds only this time several pieces contained the drug, they gulped down the bread, the tablets started to expand, and the bird exploded! spectacular and messy though! thankfully though by the time it happened the bird was usually away from the ship! At 17 we thought this was great fun ! These days I know better and would never condone such activity.

Young sailors are so classy! I know, I was one a long time ago. We used to amuse ourselves throwing sharpened welding rods at them, but seldom hit any. I've grown up a little since then - not totally, but a little.

I don't think I've ever been hungry enough to consider eating seagull.

John

Trust me, roast seagull is disgusting, I know we caught one once on on of the ships I was on and tried it, very oily! and when you cut them open they stink of fish! EEWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

As an aside when we were in San Francisco Harbour the pollution control was very strict and we were getting somewhat pi--ed off with the gulls raiding our garbage cans (which were lashed to the rails at the stern) as whenever they threw stuff into the harbour we incurred a fine. so we took to destroying them. ( remember this was in the late 70s)Firstly by fishing for them,(throwing a load of bread up into the air so they swooped down for it, one of the pieces was attached to a fishing line, when the gull got so high we yanked the line and pulled its head off! the other gulls then ate the dead one.) the other method was using Alka Seltzer, agin throwing bread up for the birds only this time several pieces contained the drug, they gulped down the bread, the tablets started to expand, and the bird exploded! spectacular and messy though! thankfully though by the time it happened the bird was usually away from the ship! At 17 we thought this was great fun ! These days I know better and would never condone such activity.

And I thought i was the only one to do nasty things to seagulls, when i worked on a cargo ship as a teenager running between Miami, the bahamas and the Antilles i used to do the same thing with a fishing line, never thought of the alka seltzer though