Really well-written review.

And thats a cooler airplane than I initially thought and I love all the avionics.

How does it compare from a flight/payload/range performance standpoint to....ummm...the PC-12/47? They look kind of similar in form and function to my eyes.

Thanks chaps.

How does it compare from a flight/payload/range performance standpoint to....ummm...the PC-12/47? They look kind of similar in form and function to my eyes.

The PC12 is a much larger aircraft. Looks similar of course with the long nose housing the PT6A-21.

Range for the Jetprop is 1100 nm. Max takeoff weight is 4,300 lbs. One pilot and 5 passengers.

PC-12 has a range of 1513 nm fully loaded with 9 passengers, it will do 2,239 nm without passengers. Max takeoff weight 10,450 lbs. Two crew plus nine passengers.

PC-12 is 47 feet long, the Jetprop only 30 feet.

Not similar to each other at all really.

Think of the Jetprop as a Malibu thats downed a moderate dose of steroids.

good write up! i also am a recent convert to the virtual cockpit! however the malibu is a particularly useless plane in real life. a great looker, a real sporty plane, however when you get down to the nitty gritty, you can only load full fuel when you have 2 people on board ( taking people at 170 lbs each), if you want to carry 6 people which is after all why one buys a 6 seater you can only load enough fuel for just over an hours flying , and no baggage for a weekend away, not that good eh? give me an aztec or navajo any day.

The Jetprop conversion seems popular though. Increased reliability from the turbine engine, short field capability and better climb rate etc.

yeah i hear what you are saying but may i put forward these thoughts the tbo on this engine is 3600 hrs the tbo on the original 6 cylinder engine was 2000 hrs the cost of an overhauled 6 cyl engine is anywhere between 15k to 20k however a hot end on a turbine is around 500k , add to this equation that gasoline is now less than twice the cost or parafin where once parafin was less than a third of the cost of gas and all of a sudden a turbine engine raises big question marks despite its undoubtable extra reliability, and extra performance.

Now if you could load 6 people , full fuel for 960 miles plus baggage, runway take off distance of 600 meters and a top speed of say 188 knots you would have a useable a/c no? that is what a piper aztec could do, not so modern , not so flashy but a far better a/c

i do wish someone would produce a good model of an aztec, they are great i regret selling mine.

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the bonus information regarding the aircraft. I think the PC-12/47 is my most-flown sim aircraft (well over 250 hours according to the STMA Hobbs meter) and at least visually the two aircraft look strikingly similar.

But now that I know the true dimensions they really are nothing alike. The Pilatus is really tough to beat!

Still the PA-46T is a lovely aircraft and that cockpit is just dazzling...and I am not a huge fan of glass either.

Great review...I may consider adding that plane to my hangar.

The Jetprop conversion seems popular though. Increased reliability from the turbine engine, short field capability and better climb rate etc.

yeah i hear what you are saying but may i put forward these thoughts the tbo on this engine is 3600 hrs the tbo on the original 6 cylinder engine was 2000 hrs the cost of an overhauled 6 cyl engine is anywhere between 15k to 20k however a hot end on a turbine is around 500k , add to this equation that gasoline is now less than twice the cost or parafin where once parafin was less than a third of the cost of gas and all of a sudden a turbine engine raises big question marks despite its undoubtable extra reliability, and extra performance.

Now if you could load 6 people , full fuel for 960 miles plus baggage, runway take off distance of 600 meters and a top speed of say 188 knots you would have a useable a/c no? that is what a piper aztec could do, not so modern , not so flashy but a far better a/c

i do wish someone would produce a good model of an aztec, they are great i regret selling mine.

I see your point from a cost perspective, but... given that the Jetprop DLX costs $1.7 million, I guess the purchasers aren't that bothered about the cost.

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the bonus information regarding the aircraft. I think the PC-12/47 is my most-flown sim aircraft (well over 250 hours according to the STMA Hobbs meter) and at least visually the two aircraft look strikingly similar.

But now that I know the true dimensions they really are nothing alike. The Pilatus is really tough to beat!

Still the PA-46T is a lovely aircraft and that cockpit is just dazzling...and I am not a huge fan of glass either.

Great review...I may consider adding that plane to my hangar.

If you purchase I don't think you will be disappointed. I would recommend the AP mod though, it's a lot easier having a button assigned to the autopilot. There are one or two other mods on the unofficial support forum over at Avsim that are useful too.