Good News / Bad News

The Good News

I bought a couple of raffle tickets from my brother last week. Here's some of the advertising poop....

"The Military Affinity Group is sponsoring a raffle that will award 3 lucky winners with cockpit time in a SH60B "Seahawk" Helicopter Simulator. This simulator is a full-motion simulator that gives the most realistic flight simulation that modern technology has to offer. The Army version of this helicopter is the more famous "Blackhawk". If you have worked in the CSX HQ for any amount of time, you have seen these helicopters (pictured below) fly up and down the St Johns River almost on a daily basis. Here is your chance to find out what it is like to pilot this type of helicopter in a safe and controlled environment (on the ground).

The 3 winners will be given tranportation to & from Mayport on March 20th at 9 a.m. Return will be early to mid afternoon.

Tickets are on sale now until March 14th at 12 noon. The 3 winners will be given tranportation to & from Mayport on March 20th at 9 a.m. Return will be early to mid afternoon.

Proceeds from the raffle will go to support operations of the Military Affinity Group's efforts to provide assistance to CSX employees who have been called up to active duty service, shipping care packages, providing supplies to residents of the VA Hospitals and Homes in the Northeast Florida area, and financial support for the Northeast Florida USO."

This is one of the Navy full-motion simulators at Mayport NAS, just outside Jacksonville FL, about 100 miles from me.

Well, my brother just called and I'm one of the winners.

The Bad News

I've received a summons for jury duty beginning on Monday, March 19th and don't know if I'll be able to go over to Jacksonville for this or not.

Wow, that is bad timing.

I had to do jury service last year but if was a deferred duty from the previous year that my boss got delayed.

I suppose John in your situation you cannot get a justifiable excuse for deferment :mrhappy:

This time it's just good news. I will be able to go to Mayport for the simulator session tomorrow. Will take the camera along and try to get some shots to post, but not sure the Navy is going to allow a camera. We'll see.

:dance:

John

I just hope this won't spoil me on Microsoft. This is the high-tech stuff, and you know what they say. It's hard to get 'em back down on the farm after they've been to the big city.

After this, I may have to re-enlist.

Fortunately, my general distrust for helicopters will probably save me.

I'm sure you've heard them all...

Airplanes want to fly, helicopters just want to kill you.

Helicopters can't fly, they're just so ugly they're repelled by the earth.

A helicopter is a collection of aircraft parts flying in loose formation.

Helicopters have no visible means of support.

If you have an engine failure in a helicopter your choice of landing sites is limited to what you can spit on, however you'll arrive before the spit.

And all the rest...

After having said all that, by this time tomorrow I'll probaby be a convert.

John

Had a fantastic experience with the Navy's toys today, and have some photos, though none in the simulator building.

I want to write this up like a magazine article and do it right. Hope to post in a day or two.

Where's the appropriate place, here or Real World Aviation? The photos are real world, of course; as it happens, none will be of the simulator, even though that's the feature topic.

John