so frustrating, this whole experience...

I first installed it on my laptop in the Netherlands, did the two (stupid) missions and wanted to try the Stearman, found I needed a Live account, got one, and got a very persisitent error message (Code 80154002) that 'needed to be resolved first'. I also could not get a product code or something like that, because of this error. What it was, no idea. How to resolve it, no idea. Microsoft help, no help. So I gave up.

Back home in Belgium, I tried again, on my desktop. Same problem. No solution. Then I decided to make a new Live account, straight from the game. There was a button somewhere saying 'make new account'. I give them the same e-mail name, and suddenly everything seems to work. I can make my own (stupid) avatar etcetc, and going back to the game I get a product code, fly the stupid missions again, want to try the Stearman and find that 'The live service may be unavailable, or there may be an issue with your home networking equipment or firewall'. AAAAAAAAARRGH!

So when I give them all my data there is no problem, but when I want to use their bloody service there suddenly is a problem? and I'm stuck with a stupid avatar, an awful looking Icon and one island?

Clearly Microsoft is telling me something here....

Jan Kees, I feel your pain!

I had a similar experience to you when testing the Beta, I had also found that various programs had been installed to do with the gamertag etc etc, I wasn't at all keen on this bloat-ware so promptly uninstalled the whole lot.

Yuck!

Hi All, Well, curiosity got the better of me on the 29th (A date that will live in infamy etc, I wonder which American president said those words?) I tried it out for an hour or so, it looks a bit cartoony for me. I got fed up up very quickly with Bitchin' Betty, or whatever her name is. Its going to be the shortest lived software on my machine. I have to admit that I'm not disappointed really,I had no great expectations in the first place. Microsoft have definately gone backwards this time. Fortunately for most of us simmers thereare alternatives to be had. We don't need 'Flight' and I don't see it staying the course.

Now, now! If you've read the Avsim propoganda review, you will realise that you will soon change your mind and and see it as the true successor to FSX, welcome it with open arms (and wallet). Apparently there is at least one fan for it.

Personally, that BS review gave me the dry heaves and has led to me finally deleting the Avsim link. FS 11 indeed! Pass the barf bucket . . .

800 points for the a stock 'Mustang'?

LOL! That can take that and shove it where the sun don't shine.

Jan Kees, I feel your pain!

I had a similar experience to you when testing the Beta, I had also found that various programs had been installed to do with the gamertag etc etc, I wasn't at all keen on this bloat-ware so promptly uninstalled the whole lot.

Yuck!

I believe they wanted me to open several ports on my firewalls. I think not. No more Flight therefore, phfew.

I have rarely been involved with flightsims for the past year due to other commitments and have now started to build a new suitable computer, I have a mid range system at the moment and I would say that I have looked at Flight with an open mind and did not cast any assumptions before trying it. I gradually worked my way through the live account problems and yes they were frustrating, I found that it performed quite well on my system, but I soon got bored and have not been back on since, so it looks like back to fsx. It is obviously aimed at the console gaming market and not simulation

Wingit

Well, let's see if I can come up with a suitably NEGATIVE post to fit right in with the rest of these.

I have NOT downloaded MSF but have read every review and posted comment I can find. Those are overwhelmingly, but NOT exclusively, NEGATIVE. Based on the preponderance of “evidence” and opinion, I'm NOT particularly interested in having it, free or NOT. One reason is that simply downloading it expresses some level of interest to MS and I DON'T wish to add my “vote” to that poll of users.

I'm NOT offended by MS publishing a flight-oriented game. I DON'T feel betrayed by MS for them having published something I'm NOT interested in and I have NOT completely given up hope that they will one day decide to create and publish a true successor to FSX (and FS9). In the meantime, what they've done has NOT devalued or detracted from my FS9 and FSX and add-on library. Life is NOT worse because of MSF; it's simply NOT better. MS was under NO obligation to make my life better so there are NO broken promises.

I am concerned to some extent that MS have embraced the idea that they will glean revenue from each and every piece of software created for their flight-related products in the future. Though that is their right if they wish to proceed in that direction, it does NOT make me happy. Time will tell whether that comes to pass or NOT. As with all things that come on the market, I'll vote with my wallet, paying what is asked if I believe it is worth the price; keeping my wallet closed if it I feel it is NOT.

Well, to honest, I wasn't negative at first, I really wanted to try it, and was willing to shelve out some money for a few better models and more scenery.

This proved to be impossible however, so all I had was one island, a few missions, and an aircraft that would have been deleted instantly were it in FSX.

Really unfortunate, but on the other hand, you could not repaint anything either I believe, so I probably would have been bored after a few days anyway...

I wonder which American president said those words?

I believe that was Franklin Delano Roosevelt, on December 8, 1941. There's no parallel between that and MSF.

John

I must agree with all the comments here. I initially tried to have an open mind about Flight, but after seeing the screenshots/reviews/comments, etc., I started to feel disappointed.

It's a shame MS did this - they took an incredibly powerful software and successful franchise, and turned it into a limited game.

I haven't downloaded Flight yet. I might in a few weeks, after some initial release issues are ironed out, but even then, I don't think it'll stay on my disk for long.

*sigh*