Given I'm on a full reinstall of FSX I decided to download and install the new REX Essentials.

I read through the manual (or at least thought I had) and configured REXE. Loaded a set of textures, left most of the options as they were at default.

I loaded FSX and set weather to "User Defined" as for previous REX.

With my previous REX plus OD when I started FSX the weathr would load and te Avoidance system would load up but with essentials nothing seems to happen, the WASYS doesn't start which is where I used to be able to just hit reload weather to check it was working and green bar would start in FSX (option enabled in REXE).

Have I missed soemthing obvious?

Also is there a way to get REXOD texture themes into REXE?

I've tried looking on the REX site but I find it a very difficult place to find information - also is OD now redundant?

There he goes again, playing around with stuff he doesn't understand right on top of a fresh install :P . (sabre I meant, not mike the bike)

Thought you bought REX from the flightsim store? if you did just go to your account and down load the FULL 4.25 GB version of REXE . (just deleat all your old REX2 stuff and start the FSS installer ;) ).

Don't even think about trying to get the old REX overdrive to work with the new REXE, if you check their forum they say that a NEW REXE-OD will be realeased within a week or two :) .

Cheer's...Graham...

There he goes again, playing around with stuff he doesn't understand right on top of a fresh install :P . (sabre I meant, not mike the bike)

Thought you bought REX from the flightsim store? if you did just go to your account and down load the FULL 4.25 GB version of REXE . (just deleat all your old REX2 stuff and start the FSS installer ;) ).

Don't even think about trying to get the old REX overdrive to work with the new REXE, if you check their forum they say that a NEW REXE-OD will be realeased within a week or two :) .

Cheer's...Graham...

There you go again not listening to me :P

For clarity:

1. I have downloaded and installed REXE

2. I have tried to configure it as per manual - yes I RTFM although it is 64 pages long

3. It doesn't seem to load weather into FSX as it used to back in the pre-fsx new install days ;)

4. No I haven't tried putting anything to do with OD or other previous REX into new install as I too had read forum ;)

@Mike - yes there seems to be the same option as previously which I have ticked but nothing seems to load. Previously I just loaded REX and picked a theme, ticked the box and then never really went into REX, I just loaded FSX REX would load weather and WASYS automatically and off I'd go.

Think I shall be waiting for the retail Full Version DVD. Call me quirky if you will, but I hate these Large Patch type upgrades. They more often than not cause a problem somewhere else down the line. No doubt by the time a DVD is available my system shall be ready for a complete reinstall. So everything should fit in quite nicely.

Well, thats my first Post over with. :D

I uninstalled my old rex 2 with o/d and did a full install of essential and it works fine, had a minor issue with the initial installation which I overcame but that is all. did a quick flight to make sure it works and the clouds are certainly different.

WASYS is now REXWX.

On the Config manager / weather Tab make sure you have Enable REX weather engine, Eanable Auto start of REX weather engine, and Enable auto lanch of the flight simulator checked.

Thereafter..

Click on the weather tab, then fly now.

FSX (Or P3D) will start loading and a REXWX window will appear, there is a delay in the radar showing the weather until it knows where you are.

The REXWX will inject weather into flight sim at the intervals you set in the config.

Cheers

WASYS is now REXWX.

On the Config manager / weather Tab make sure you have Enable REX weather engine, Eanable Auto start of REX weather engine, and Enable auto lanch of the flight simulator checked.

Thereafter..

Click on the weather tab, then fly now.

FSX (Or P3D) will start loading and a REXWX window will appear, there is a delay in the radar showing the weather until it knows where you are.

The REXWX will inject weather into flight sim at the intervals you set in the config.

Cheers

Thanks Joe

I take it that with the REXE I can't just start FSX and have the real world weather load? I must start from within REXE?

If so does that now mean with Air Hauler using real world weather isn't an option?

Previously I would start AH choose a flight it would auto start FSX and REX OD weather engine would auto start with FSX! I'm now confused as to how this will work.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to get real weather via REXE with Air Hauler flights? If not I think I'll be reverting back to REX OD.

Hope I'm just being dumb

Hi Graeme,

Not sure that anything is changed in that area but to use it how you want to you need to untick the auto start flight sim in the config/weather tab.

Here's the easiest way.

1. Start REX, REX will need a short time to download and interpolate the latest weather data. You don't have to wait, go to 2.

2. Start flight sim either by creating a flight or via AH

3. Once the flight is loaded go back to REX and click FLY NOW (On the main page)

4. REXWX fires up and waits for a minute (Or whatever delay time you have) then starts injecting weather. If you don't want to wait for that minute click load weather on the REXWX screen and it will start injecting weather straight away.

The job's a good-un :)

Hi Graeme,

Not sure that anything is changed in that area but to use it how you want to you need to untick the auto start flight sim in the config/weather tab.

Here's the easiest way.

1. Start REX, REX will need a short time to download and interpolate the latest weather data. You don't have to wait, go to 2.

2. Start flight sim either by creating a flight or via AH

3. Once the flight is loaded go back to REX and click FLY NOW (On the main page)

4. REXWX fires up and waits for a minute (Or whatever delay time you have) then starts injecting weather. If you don't want to wait for that minute click load weather on the REXWX screen and it will start injecting weather straight away.

The job's a good-un :)

Thanks Joe I appreciate your advice - I'll try that tonight when I get in.

well i have used essential for a few flights now and have to say it is only marginally better than rex2 with o/d sadly they have not addressed the main problem of REX which is its deathly slow speed , in fact essential is much slower at loading the weather than rex2 ever was and that was pretty catatonic.

I think I will try it for a few more flights and if it isnt measurably better i will go back to rex with o/d because at least it is quicker.

I must admit it is good thing it is a freebie because i would be pretty disappointed if i had paid for it.

@ Dogtrack

"quote" Well, thats my first Post over with

Welcome aboard, they are all so busy :blahblah: :blahblah: That they have sort of missed your post (But I didn't) So again Welcome,

James

Thanks James for the heads up!

:welcomeani: Welcome to the Hangar dogtrack!

I sort of agree with you about DVD's, my problem is I have to have these things as soon as they are released. Sometimes it's worth waiting for any bugs to be resolved which normally happens within the first couple of weeks.

I hope you enjoy our forums.

Cheers,

Joe

@ Sabre,

Hope you been following Jims post FSX reinstall, as there are some things in there that may help you..

Thanks James but I'm a bit ahead of Jim in the reinstall stakes. System is all up and running, although waiting new GFX Card

So far installed:

FSX, Accelaration Pack, CH Control Manager, FSUIPC, 4GB Patch, 1024 Moon textures, Orbx Pacific Fjords + patch, Orbx PNW + patch, Orbx NRM +Patch, Orbx CRM, Orbx NZSI + patch, Orbx BOB, Orbx Slower traffic tweak, Tongass Fjords, REX Essentials

Still to do:

Every volume of Horizon Scenery + patches, UK2000 VFR Airfileds, Earth Sims Treescapes, all my ORBX Airfields, Plan G, Air Hauler, Traffic X, every one of my purchased aircraft and on and on ...............................

yeh - so what you going to do tomorrow?

LOL - go to work come home - install some more stuff- annoy the wife with the amount of time I've been AWOL :D :D :D

Question,

I use Shockwave redux, and reading the new REX E, this part botherd me?

• Lighting environments (runway lighting including simulated ground glow, stunningly realistic aircraft spotlights with variations for small to large aircraft, aircraft strobe lights, variations for add-on aircraft as well)

I use REX2 but is it the same in the newbie with the aircraft lights, will it affect my Shockwave Redux?

Thanks

well i have uninstalled essential and gone back to rex 2 with overdrive, because although slow, it is massively faster to get the weather updates than essential. plus i prefer the way rex 2 can install weather when fsx is running. the ability to share flight plans is of no interest at all if you have a program such as vroute or fsc9 let alone having to pay for the priveledge on top.

well i have used essential for a few flights now and have to say it is only marginally better than rex2 with o/d sadly they have not addressed the main problem of REX which is its deathly slow speed , in fact essential is much slower at loading the weather than rex2 ever was and that was pretty catatonic.

I think I will try it for a few more flights and if it isnt measurably better i will go back to rex with o/d because at least it is quicker.

I must admit it is good thing it is a freebie because i would be pretty disappointed if i had paid for it.

I'm waiting for the free Essentials update ( Whenever that will happen ) and I would be disapppointed if the overall update is marginally better than original REX 2.0 like you said. :(

I'm very tempted to get ActiveSky 2012, but been reading from various users that REX2.0 has better Clouds textures. No doubt ActiveSky is still crowned for it's weather depiction which I still use ActiveSky X - REX 2.0 for Clouds/Sky textures.

to be honest some cloud textures are better in essentials than rex 2 and i also believe that rex is better than AS2012, however whoever their choice of weather supplier is, it is chronically slow at downloading , at least 5 times slower than rex 2 , using a pmdg ngx as an example I can fire it up from a cold and dark cockpit, put a flight plan in the fmc, in fact get the whole plane ready with engines running before the weather downloads, it is that slow!

I think this is the interpolation process causing the problem especially when there are no nearby weather stations and the update region is set at max.

I believe some work is being done on this and an improvement will be available in an update. (That's all I know so far and not guaranteed :) )