We said goodbye to our much loved Ford Fiesta today and took delivery of our new car. The Fiesta we had for around 4 years and she served us well but the car was now 13 years old so I decided to use my Mobility Allowance to get a new car on the Motability scheme. The way it works is that the money the DHSS would normally pay into my bank for Mobility is paid directly to the Motobility leasing company and they cover all servicing, repair work, Road tax, insurance etc and all I have to do is put fuel in it ! At the end of 3 years I hand the car back, and if my entitlement continues then I get another one for another 3 years. (I assume our overseas drivers have similar schemes in their respective countries. ) anyway this is our new baby, a Kia Cee'd 1.6 CRDI Automatic. we rather like it! :D

NOTE, Licence plate edited for security purposes.

DSC00328.jpg

DSC00329.jpg

DSC00327.jpg

DSC00326.jpg

Thanks guys, A few of you know the health problems i've had, and even more inflicted upon me since the surgeons screwed up big time ! Having paid into the system since I left school and never being out of work until now, I think it's about time the system paid me back ! Yes, tax payers money does indeed support the benifits system, but as I paid my taxes since I left school in 1976 I think i'm entitled to claim something back. There are a lot of people that work the system having never done a days work in their lives. I'm not one of them, I'm in this situation through no fault of my own unfortunately, the system put me here, the system can pay for the mistake.....and keep me moving ! :cool:

I can understand where youre coming from Birdman, I too have seen cars pull into disabled marked bays and the owners simply swan off and do their shopping, no badge to show their entitled to park there and a lot of the time it's young teenagers that dont give a s--t about those that really need the bays. A lot of people have what are knows as hidden disabilities, Outwardly appearing normal but inside falling apart. I am one of those, although when I wear shorts the dirty great scar down my leg shows all to clearly. I also have to keep part of my hand protected and in a glove so that can look kind of odd. However I cannot walk more than 40 yds without the angina rearing it's ugly head and causing me to stop for a few minutes. The damaged hand means I need help with a lot of things that I used to take for granted, getting dressed, cutting up food, tying shoelaces, putting a watch on and getting in and out of the bath to name but a few. :( The state has helped me and I'm now looking at taking legal action against the hospital that buggered my life up. I really hope you do manage to get the wheelchair for your daughter. It's something that really you should be able to get help with. If your daughter is on DLA you can use her mobility allowance to get that sort of thing. Have a word with the benifits office or CAB and see what you may be able to claim for. When you apply though make sure you base all the awnsers to the questions on a worse case scenario. Everyone has good and bad days but if you base it on good ones you wont get anywhere. Also if when you first claim they say no, make sure you appeal straight away. I was told this by the CAB. What happens is the powers in charge want to test your resolve, If you dont appeal the negative decision they assume you couldn't have been that bothered, If you appeal they realise you mean business and are generally successfull. Any way good luck. Keep us posted as to how you get on. :thum:

• 2 weeks later...