DC-3 Airways Announce the World Rally 2012

For all DC-3 / "Dak" / "Gooney Bird" pilots, DC-3 Airways have announced the World Rally 2012 (WR 2012) which is being conducted over the period 05 Nov 12 to 04 Dec 12.

The WR 2012 involves ten individual flights flown in some of the most interesting areas of the world using the Douglas DC-3 and under varying climatic conditions. You are provided with a detailed set of navigation instructions for each flight and you submit your flight time and fuel usage in the PIREP and this is compared to the average for all participants for each flight.

Registration is now open and all the details can be found on the DC-3 Airways web site at http://dc3airways.com/special_events/wr_2012/welcome.htm

Cheers

Andrew

DC-3 Airways has their flights for the 2012 World Rally posted now. They are...

01 - LTBU Corlu AB - Tekirdag, Turkey -> TBG Bandirma AB - Balikesir, Turkey

02 - EGPO Stornoway - Stornoway, UK -> EGET Tingwall - Lerwick, UK

03 - FAPF Piet Retief - Piet Retief, South Africa -> FAFB Ficksburg Sentraoes - Ficksburg Sentraoes, South Africa

04 - ENTO Torp - Sandefjord, Norway -> ENFG Leirin - Fagernes, Norway

05 - SPIM George Chavez - Lima, Peru -> SPHY Andahuaylas - Andahuaylas, Peru

06 - SCOH Villa O'Higgins - Villa O'Higgins, Chile -> SCNT Teniente Julio Gallardo - Puerto Natales, Chile

07 - 57S Troy - Troy, Montana - US -> CYCG Castlegar - Castlegar, British Columbia - Canada

08 - ERV Erave - Erave, Papua New Guinea -> AYPY Jacksons - Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea

09 - LTAC Esenboga - Ankara, Turkey -> LTBA Ataturk - Istanbul, Turkey

10 - EGAA Aldergrove - Belfast, Northern Ireland - UK -> EGJB Guernsey - Guernsey, UK

Organizer Norman Hancock graciously gave me an early list so I could create airport diagrams for them. All those are done and safely in the MH File Library now. The staff at DC-3 Airways has put a link to the Mutley's Hangar airport diagrams on their download page for the rally. Note too that the flight 02 destination, EGET Tingwall, is one of Rob Scott's enhanced airports and there's updated scenery available in the MH File Library for that. DC-3 Airways has that link on their download page too.

If you'd like to fly a DC-3 in some interesting places, check out their rally site, get signed up and have a ball. This is an established group of people who have been doing this kind of thing for a while and they're pretty good at it. Even if you don't wish to fly the rally, it's a great site with some really interesting things hidden away in their menu trees. Have a look at...

http://dc3airways.com/index.htm

John

Hi Kieran - the DC3 Airways World Tour has taken me by surprise this year - I've only just registered. It's not quite the same as Andrew's GAAR/GARSA or our own MEBAR, where we can select an aircraft for team use, as you have to fly DC-3 (your choice of model). Also, the DCA Rally is more stringent on Time and Fuel - you get scored on how close you get to the (unpublished) ideal Time and Fuel usage, so it's not really suited to a number of different team members. Did we enter a Mutley's Team last year - I don't think we did - but we'll certainly enter one or more teams for Andrew's events, I think.

Notwithstanding the foregoing - if you want to enter as an individual, Andrew and I can give you plenty of help/advice, should you want. But be quick about it as the first Leg deadline is 07Nov12.

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

For what it's worth, the boss has added a "Special Events" sub-forum to the Airport diagrams part of the File Library. I've got all the DC-3 Airways World Rally 2012 airport plates zipped up and posted there. If anyone is flying (or just interested) they can get all of them in a single download.

John

Kieran - Just shows you how my memory is going - when you reach my age, it's a wonder you can remember your name, let alone your password! :whis:

Does that mean you want to share the load this time round - you're most welcome. Problem is I've registered personally, but if you want to do some Legs, then I can file them as 'mine'. I'm not sure we have time to set up a proper Team Mutley entry. Let me know...

BTW, I'm doing the first Leg tonight, so, tell me which Leg(s) you want, and we'll organise it that way.

And Thanks for your interest!

Cheers - Dai. Cool: