Orbx Releases FTX: EU EGSG Stapleford Airfield

ORB-717_pic4.jpg

Located in the Epping Forest district of Essex is Stapleford Airfield. This is Russ White's first venture into the UK and the first of his series of UK VFR airfields. Stapleford began in the 1930's as Essex Aerodrome and was used by the RAF in the Second World War. Today it is used extensively for pilot training by the Stapleford Flight Centre, a family run business who have been training pilots for over 40 years. Russ has again used his skills to create something special with each building made to look as they appear in real life. You will also be hard pressed to find exactly where the crisp photoreal imagery meets the landclass of FTX England. A testament to the superb work of Russ White!

- 11cm per pixel ground textures

- Surrounding countryside at 30cm per pixel

- Fully custom modeled airport

- Expert 5 seasons color matched imagery

- Features most of Orbx Flow tech

- Every building recreated from on-site photography!

- Complete with AI traffic

- TextureFlow optimised and great FPS

- Developed by Russ White 

For further details, screenshots and to purchase visit The FlightSim Store:

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't agree more Chris. I've submitted my review of EGHR now, specifically covering compatibility with GenX and I've exchanged words with JV on the Orbx forum on the very same topic. Needless to say his response was that Orbx won't do anything other than make airfields for FTX-regions. I've tried to look at how you can integrate them into GenX, but unless you have a copy of FTX-England there's only so far you can go.

K

I bought stapleford and installed it on top of generation X, one of the advantages of the new fsx attitude is that when you buy an airfield from them it is literally that and no longer any surrounding scenery as that is expensive for them to buy. However whilst all the airfield buildings were correctly portrayed  there were no ai aircraft and a few other things didnt appear like the fuel bay but at least 80% was there so it is useable with generation x and i have seen a thread on fsx where JV does tell you which files to delete if you dont want any conflicts.

However I weakened and bought england as well as i wanted to see stapleford it in its full glory,    and that is another story to coin an antipodean phrase "what a crock of s--t" in my opinion it isnt a patch on gen x, it is fableland with some leanings to the uk road network and a rough idea of where major cities lurk..  their airfields supplied are not a patch on the uk2000 offering but there again you are paying some £40 odd for the whole of england with loads of reasonable airports so one cant really complain i suppose. but it could be sold as ireland (just add a different coast line) or anywhere really no wonder they got their idea of the world soon to appear). I think my next purchase will be the trees to go with gen x to add some 3d , if only there was someway to take off from an ftx airfield and by entering the scenery library , quickly change from the ftx scenery at say 1000 feet to gen x without having to close down fsx now that would be a winner.

Somehow I just feel cheated and ripped off its like buying something on Ebay that you really want but cannot try, only to find when it ariives in the letter box it is nowhere near what you had hoped it would be, it sort of leaves a taste in ones mouth.

There is no doubt that england as a program is fairly priced for what you get, however if after buying it they could permit some under cover work/mods that would allow their airports to work "normally" would be a real plus and I would be first in the queue.

Theoretically you could mod it, if you own FTX-England I think you could use ES merge program to integrate the autogen libraries so you could have Treescapes and other ES sceneries as well as the Orbx visual goodies. I enquired on the Orbx forum yesterday how easy it would be to 'hack' England to get the best bits while still not using it's landclass tiles. I think one of the biggest probs might be the terrain mesh which at some airports is going to cause issues. It would not be hard to produce a set of terrain files to make it all fit but it could be fairly time consuming - that might depend on how different te Orbx mesh is to the GenX.. Lastly the photoscenery should display over the landclass regardless. All in all, I think it should be potentially possible to get all the airfield objects, correct terrain, full autogen and photoscenery to display together, but I can't test it as I don't have FTX-England!

K

it seemed to fit into gen x quite well the stitching was the fileds just outside the peritrack and golf course however to be honest I didnt do a really thorough examination, all the buildings were there , however the farm house a few hundred meters away was a bit incomplete and wonkey, and none of the ftx parked a/c were there. To be honest I gave it a rough try and decided that I needed to buy the england disk, which is after all what they are after. However Goodwood works fine the only error I could see was where there is a tunnel to get to the interior of the track in gen x there was a weird trench but all the rest seemed ok and although uk 2000 did quite a good job of goodwood the ftx version in gen x was better.

I didn't get the trench with EGHR in GenX, but without FTX-England you do seem to lose a certain degree of objects. The terrain blends with EGHR are quite ok, but all the airfields are designed to fit with the Orbx mesh and therefore if there are mesh differences you could end up with some cliffs at some airfields in places I suspect.