Freeware - Basler BT67 Version 2

banner.jpg

Just published is Kasper Hanselman's review of the DC-3 conversion to a turbo-prop by Basler Turbo Conversions

This is a freeware production by a joint team.  Read what Kasper makes of this aircraft. Read on

Thanks for the Review, Kasper - this is a great piece of freeware. The VC looks excellent - is there a 2-D panel, too? Pity about the sound set - maybe Mannfred will sort this soon...

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

Hi Dai, no 2D panel is available. Considering the difficulties (not to mention costs) of compiling a real good sound set that does the plane justice I doubt that one will be made by the team.

The alternative of aliasing to another plane solves this issue for me however.

Cheers

Kasper

Great review Kasper. :thum:  I have been recently trying out the freeware Braddick DC-3/C-47TP Turbo Dakota(it also alias the KingAir sound) which I really like but will certainly give this a whirl after your recommendation. Time for some polar exploration. :D  

• 5 months later...

Hope this is the right place to ask a couple of quick questions about this beautiful  model.  My group has just bought one in FSEconomy so I'll be spending a fair amount of time in it !

Q1.  Is there a way to get the GPS panel up without going right click...cockpit...gps?  None of the usual shift + Number works.

Q2   When I fire up nothing will persuade the GPS's to change from the blank blue start up picture. I have tried several things,( none of the buttons have any effect and I am familiar with both GPS's ), filling in the FSX Flight Planner first,  putting the flight plan into Bush Buddy nothing happens.  Now for the odd bit;  escape from flight and restart the flight and they come up as normal.

Q3.  I have found a good sound download that was recommended on FSE.  Is installing the files and so on complicated?

Thanks for any suggestions,  Rick

Hi Rick, It's been awhile since I flew this but looking at my panel.cfg I see that the author's hashed out window06 themselves because they couldn't figure it out. Might have something to do with their own GPS .cab file concoction. I can see that I tried adding my own window06 using the default GPS and I also had to hash it out. Could be that in making it available using the hand/cursor in VC they messed up the availability of the default keystroke method. I would be interested if anyone figured this out too.

I have never messed with changing out sounds except for switching an alias in the sound.cfg file. If the sounds you found are part of another aircraft, install the plane and alais the sound in the Basler's .cfg file. If not, back up the Basler stuff and try installing the new sound folders and see what happens. Make sure the sound folder names remain the same as the originals.

Not much help here from me but it's a start. :(   

Thank you Brett,  Really nice to 'see' you again !

On FSE forum a guy said he just removed the window 06 and replaced the text with the one from a default 172.  I think that from a 'realism' angle for me that works.  In Alaska, duff gps, carry a hand-held!  Bush Pilot solution.  What we call "using number 8 wire" in NZ.

Could you explain further "switching an alias in the sound.cfg file", please?   Not familiar with the technique !  (Or much else inside FSX files !)

Many thanks,   Rick

Hi Rick,

The quick answers:

Q1. Yes, press 'A' 6 times. It is a pre defined VC view - not a 2D pop-up.

Q2. Looks to me as a conflict somewhere in your setup. The fact that it works correctly after you restart the flight points to trouble initializing. But since I did not encounter this problem myself and have no idea about your FSX setup, add-ons etc. I can't be sure - sorry.

Q3. Aliasing to another sound set is pretty straight forward: change the sound.cfg to read

[fltsim]

alias=place of the soundset (in my case: alias=Aerosoft Twin Otter 300\sound)

It is important that the soundset uses the same names for events like lowering the flaps and gear - otherwise these sounds will not be called correctly and hence will not play.

From the top of my head I had to make some changes to get the Aerosoft sound to cover everything, but it's been too long to be sure anymore ...

[Edit] Obviously I must have changed something to get a gear sound at all from a Twotter .. [/Edit]

Hope this helps a little.

Cheers

Thank you very much kasper, that's most encouraging.

Someone gave me a windows06 paste change that may bring up a default GPS, which may work.  I'm okay with that, if it works, from a RP angle of dangle.  In that, flying Alaska, Bush pliot response to duff equipment.   Known in NZ as "fixing with number 8 wire!"  )

I will try your sound fix, thank you,  I am actually not too bothered if I don't hear the gear movement, so long as I get rid of the fl-mo sound!

All in fun,   Rick

Just to conclude, with my thanks to all who helped.

I have resolved all of the very minor issues with this great model.

Got an onscreen GPS, Bush Buddy is up, and the sound is excellent. Oh!  and the blank blue gps screen effect has disappeared as well!

Excellent result,   Rick

I have the plane and it is fantastic. I use it in AH, and with the auxiliary fuel tanks removed, the basler can haul about 10,000 pounds.

I loaded the aircraft and modified the .CFG file (remarked out the tip tanks). The AI pilots flying with full tanks can haul a 7613 Lb payload. I can fly it myself short about 360USG which gives it ~500NM range with a 10K Lb payload.

Not too bad.

I took it up for a spin and was quite surprised at how easy it handles. Quite a bit different than the stock DC3's. I found it very twitchy in pitch trim. Hard to nail the numbers and keep them that way.

Hi March, I read a tip once in a forum that allowed for reducing the amount on pitch trim per click of the trim wheel in the aircraft.cfg file if this is what you meant. I have used it before on aircraft that seems to have trouble stabilizing from one click to the next. Sometimes it helps but you have to play with the numbers, first try cutting the number in half or in quarter increments then fine tune it.

[flight_tuning]
elevator_trim_effectiveness=0.5       // 1.0 (adjusted original setting)   

(try 0.7 or 0.9 and so on till it works)

Hash out the default number so it is always available as a reference.

Thanks Brett,

It may be a minor glitch that is specific to my setup (computer, joystick, etc.) but it is pretty much universal - all aircraft are fussy. The Basler is just more so. Lack of tactile feedback doesn't help. I downloaded a small piece of software, called Realtrim, off Avsim or somewhere similar that is supposed to help, but I've not been successful with it. 

I'll give your tip a go and let you know how it works out.

• 2 months later...

To Brett........ my apologies for missing this........>  Glad you got it working. How about posting the GPS window section code and sound set link?

I have flown this great model inside FSEconomy (2.3 million v$'s,  a steal)  since we spoke about it here.  I can't really recall what I have it aliased too; but I'm fairly sure it would be something entirely inappropriate knowing me !  Even the fuel system and sit-up info card that stays on top of views delights me.  I have it based (In FSE) in the Far East and with Global being such superb scenery (especially effective in Japan for some techo reason that alludes me),  the entertainment levels are very high!  Hope you are keeping well and  I will fish out that info from my PC if you still need it?

Rick