Margaret Thatcher

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep - they're probably dancing in the streets down there.  Without her, your country would probably still be trying to talk the UN into restoring "Las Malvinas" to Britain, or would have given up the effort by now as a hopeless case. 

John

The UN and several members of the cabinet told her it was a waste of time and that the war would be unwinnable!!..........shows you how much THEY Knew! Whatever your politics Maggie was a brilliant stateswoman. She commanded respect wherever she went. Yes, didn't all like some of her policies, But that can be said for any politician. Overall though she did a lot of good for this country, and lets face it, If she was really that bad why was she voted in 3 times in a row? Personally I thought she had bigger balls than all of her male colleagues put together. RIP Maggie.

She was definitely the best PM for taking the Falklands back, cant imagine any of our subsequent PM's being so strong if they had to do it ... but as regards other home policies ... I'll keep my thoughts about that to myself, this aint the time ... not a big fan, but RIP.

poppy.gif

What makes this topic interesting is the link between the comments about MT and the location of those making the comments.

Having been born, mostly educated and worked in the north of England, but also lived for almost two decades in SE England and also lived in the USA for a few years I hope that I have a balanced view of the comments made by this topic's contributors but do waver to those of M31 (Colin).

Perhaps as the topic continues it will show that Margaret Thatcher is like Marmite, you either love or hate her, with most of the haters in the north of England & Scotland and the lovers in the south of England & overseas (excepting Argentina).

Fly, been following the Thatcher passing away topic on the various UK forums I visit tonight and its right what you say ... its pretty much split down the middle, some loved her, some hated her ... I'd not say I hated her (that's too strong a word) but lets say I don't see some of her home politics the way others do, she had dementia towards the end I understand, not the best way to go :(

I will reinforce my opinion on the Falkland matter though, just as we were lucky to have Winston Churchill as the right PM in WW2, Thatcher was the right PM for the Falklands conflict ... Wow, I can remember that whole era kicking off like it was yesterday!

I'm reasonably sure that little Nork twit, young Un, is in a fury over Maggie having stolen the limelight from him for a day or two. It can stand as her last service to the free world.

He'll have to make some fresh threats tomorrow or hold his breath until he turns purple, or soil his britches to get some of the attention back.

John

Final thoughts on Maggie here ... I'll play this old clip without respect or malice towards Maggie ... I think she would have liked this.

We need Spitting Image back again IMHO to put some of the clowns in current UK politics (on all sides) back in their places IMHO ... I'm totally embarrassed seeing them argue and lie to each other and the public in general these days.

Its all tit for tat politics now, totally cringe-worthy awful stuff.

I'm reasonably sure that little Nork twit, young Un, is in a fury over Maggie having stolen the limelight from him for a day or two. It can stand as her last service to the free world.

He'll have to make some fresh threats tomorrow or hold his breath until he turns purple, or soil his britches to get some of the attention back.

John

LOL, had to think for a moment here John about what you meant ... North Korea and Kim Jnr ... I know you like to express yourself politically too.

This is another can of worms though ... suffice to say I'm on your side ... is there a side any-more?

Thats a repetitive difficult situation for sure, calmer minds need to prevail.

kim-eat-a-snickers.jpg

We need someone like her now!

having had 20 years of the worst possible government possible we need someone with strenth  and committment to sort out not only the uk but most western countries.

Although at the end she became an autocrat MT did some fantastic things for the average person in the uk, for the less well off she enabled them to buy their council house at a knock down price , OK perhpas not a great idea now upon reflection because now council stocks are far too low but for those that took advatage it enabled them to get a toe hold on house ownership which otherwise was just a dream. For me the best thing she ever did other than the falklands was to ruin the unions, in my eyes subsequent government didnt take up her mantle, which is a pity because in the modern day unions are an anachronism. they were right for the 19th century but they didnt change their ways to reflect the changes in the modern world.

she was a churchill for the modern era.

If you look on social network sites such as Facebook, the devisions between lovers and haters is incredible, she is being vilified and slated in the most disrespectful and hateful ways possible.  But think of this, she died a frail old lady at the age of 87,  she was a mother and a grandmother with a family that loved her. Put yourselves in their shoes, they are suffering grief and loss right now. I know how I felt when I lost my mum this time last year. So how must they be feeling to see these absolutely disgusting comments on Facebook etc, it must be devastating. I will not speak ill of the deceased, especially since she is barely cold and not yet buried/cremated.  :(

Well said Al,

Also, what is the point in all these demonstrations? Most of those kids weren't even born then, let alone know what it was like in 70's Britain, we were heading for a dive but we ended up being right up there as a country to be respected.

She has gone, opening bottles of champagne and cheering her dimise is a strange thing to do.

I can't comment much on maggies time in office as I was too young, but the opinions of her up here aren't the best. Although reading what I have about the Falklands she basically said was 'no matter how far away you are we'll come and and beat you'. It's a shame some of our current politicians can't make a decision.

Thats a great book Kieran, have read it twice now and soak up more and more detail each read.

Bit confused about feedback on Maggie here though ... I don't think anybody who thought against her were out of order (elsewhere on the internet, yes) but all this thanking each other for positive comments about her is maybe a bit OT too? We are all entitled to our opinion, even if it does not go with the flow.

I lived through the Thatcher years in the prime of my life and am from a military family too, so talking with a little experience and opposing feedback I hope.

I could have been very controversial about this and went with my gut feelings, some Thatcher supporters here have weighed in with what they believe was wonderful about her, but there are always two sides to a story, but I've held back with my side out of respect for the dead... even tried to add a bit of humour, have been on best behaviour here about this, and trust me ... I'm really not her best fan.

Expanding on this ... I just hate politics ... I really do, its almost tribal nowadays, like you have to choose a football team side or something, and then after no matter what happens, you support that team until the end, certainly for some forums I visit that entertain politics, its deeply entrenched fans ... a politician of one side can do something really unforgivable, but the supporters will support to the hilt each time ... truly and utterly Tribal.

I think as a race or species, we are still truly backward.

Interesting thought.  Which do you think is a better one?

Politicians are a necessary evil if we wish to live in a society of rules and laws.  I don't much like politicians and certainly don't trust them but some are less evil than others.  I favor a society governed by laws - anarchy or blindly trusting in the good will of man is probably not going to lead to a better outcome, so we're kind of stuck with them for the time being. 

Politics can be distasteful and I can understand your dislike for it, but at the same time it's incredibly important and often intensely interesting.  I understand there's an old Irish curse that says, "May you live in interesting times."   I guess we are truly cursed.  We mortals may as well discuss politics - soccer seems to be as intense or more so - ask the Egyptians. 

Nationalism or tribalism or whatever label we hang on it is pretty inevitable.  We are too diverse racially, physically, linguistically, culturally, politically, philosophically, geographically and, yes, nationally, for us to "...share the land that they'll be giving away..." when we all do whatever it is the song thought we all should be doing together - at least not anytime soon.  Some of the animals will be more equal than others.  Utopia may exist somewhere, but will cease to when the second human sets foot on it.

There's room for hope.  We managed to get through the several decades of the Cold War without unleashing Armageddon and, arguably may have even won it.  As a species, we keep trying to do better, in spite of the best efforts of the politicians to tax and legislate us back to the caves.

By the way, this is not meant to be critical of anything you said or confrontational in any way - just thoughtful observations to stimulate discussion.

John

Interesting thought.  Which do you think is a better one?

A race or a species? , none of this has any bearing on your later points John ... I think you are just trying to casually draw me into one of your HOT debates because you think I'm an easy kill?

I think with a nick like M31, I think outside of the box on the grander scheme of things, you might have different values?

But I'm not going to be drawn into one of your orchestrated arguments I cant win my friend ... better luck somewhere else next time  :)

I've got the weigh of you now :thum:

By the way, this is not meant to be critical of anything you said or confrontational in any way - just thoughtful observations to stimulate discussion.

John

This kind of discussion is futile.

Sorry.