Dambuster 70th Anniversary Mission - video trailer

Here's a short video trailer for an up-coming FSX mission to celebrate the 70th Anniversary of Operation Chastise, the Dambusters:

I hope to release the mission for download sometime early in May - before the Weston Sim Show. Let me know if you're interested...

Thanks.

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

Edit: New Trailer added on 05May13...

Nice looking mission - but don't you think it's a bit dicey in the daylight?

Good question Keiran!

I for one, could only do the run in daylight, cos wifey doesn't let me out at night. :D

Dai,

Good to see your lack of appearance appears to be for good reasons and you are making good use of your time. As they say, "idle hands...". Mind you, we did notice you silently shadowing us in the DC-3 on a Sunday morning a few weeks back. :)

Very interested in seeing the finished product.

Cheers mate,

Andrew

I for one, could only do the run in daylight, cos wifey doesn't let me out at night. :D

But Brian, some of us know the real reason why that is so. :D

Cheers

Gonzo

Shhh! The locals haven't realised it's me yet. :D

PS. You look great as Gonzo mate. :rofl:

Radio 2 are doing a special celebration of it in a couple of weeks time, Chris evans show will be coming from Scampton and he'll then be flying on the BBMF Lanc down to Biggin Hill where a concert is being held. More details on the BBC Radio 2 Webpage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01sd1cr

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working on this mission and have uploaded a new video trailer:

https://vimeo.com/65474327

The Moehne Dam is remodelled, the upper and lower lakes have had the water levels redefined, the dam wall now will breach if your bouncing bomb stops in the right place - what more could you want? Oh, yes, the flight is still during the day - but you can reset the time to midnight if you really want a challenge!!

The mission will be available for download shortly - let me know if you'd like to help with beta testing. Thanks!

Great job Dai, right down to the hokey hot theme music. :D  I am curious to how you managed the water level at the dam and I would be happy to beta test the mission for you.

Brett, in FSX (any version) the Moehne reservoir - both above the dam and below it - is all at the same elevation, as you can see from my previous 'trailer'. To 'lower' the downstream part, below the dam, I had to resort to a couple of excludes and new water area scenery objects. You start off with making KML pathways with Google Earth, and process them through a program called FSX_KML. After that, you, you make a library of these scenery objects and save them in a folder, which goes into the FSX Addon Scenery folder and is activated in the normal way. This isn't too complicated and I was thinking of doing a little video tutorial to demonstrate the technique - if I had time!

The dam scenery was designed using gmax and the individual scenery objects positioned with InstanScenery2. The mission detects the bouncing bomb and can then remove the central dam section (scenery object) to replicate the breaching of the dam. All the other effects are standard FSX. SimVar isn't used - I'm reluctant to go that route anyway, as you know. I'll be posting the mission on FSXMissionsHangar in the next few days, hopefully...

Thanks, All, for your comments. As for the night time mission, well, it'd be easy to implement in FSX but d*mn near impossible to achieve success. Just like the real thing!

Thanks for the explanation Dai. :)  It amazes me how much stuff is available to mold FSX to your personal tastes. I look forward to flying the mission and enjoying all your hard work. :thum: