AviaSoft Electronic Flight Bag

I have had this program for a couple of months now it is quite good i also have flightsim commader 9.2 which is also very good . I like fsc9.2 because it is so simple for flight plans and to see where you are going etc sid's and stars are very easy to see and add to plans. it can also hook up to vatsim and show their a/c  as well.

aivla has a few more bells and whistles and is more complicated because it does more , but it is more expensive. what kind of flying do you do?

one of the shortcomings of aivla is the lack of flight plan routes aivla links into vatroute and route finder both of which are pretty useless especially for the less busy airfields, neither can give me a flight plan from perpignan whilst fsc9.2 has never let me down it will come up with many choises .

Hi BF

Thanks for the reply, I have downloaded the 30 day trial version to see if I like it.  I also have FSC ver8.2; but the thing I like about EFB is you can track in a nice bright display (FSC Darker).

I will evaluate the 30 day trial berfore purchase or not.  Will keep all up to date..

James

• 1 month later...

My view (slightly belated, I fear — but I've only just stumbled across this place   :rolleyes:  , so please forgive me)  —

I find the Aivlasoft software indispensable. To be fair, I enjoy the whole flight planning process and I do it in depth, but I like EFB because:

1. No more buying Navigraph charts — EFB generates them and displays them at the correct phase of flight

2. Excellent moving map (with the aircraft shown on the appropriate chart type for the current phase of flight — especially helpful when taxying around an unfamiliar airport in poor vis) comes as part of the package

3. It runs very happily on a networked machine, thus freeing up memory and screen space on my main fsx box

4. It makes the selection of the correct SID and STAR easy-peasy, and you can *see* the result of your selection on the map as it happens

The only criticism of it (that I can think of) is that the charts it generates don't show an MSA circle (but since I only fly procedural IFR, that has not so far created a problem for me).

Hope it helps,

Cheers,

Brian

as indicated on an earlier post for my purposes aivla doesnt offer plans that reflect what real a/c use so I frequently have to resort to:

http://www.edi-gla.co.uk/fpl/index.php

or personal experience

However there is a new kiddie due on the block in the very near future from the developers of topcat and that promises to knock them all into touch.

:huh:   I never thought of trying to use EFB as a total flight planner (i.e. in terms of working out the waypoints and airways from departure to destination) — in fact, I don't think it was ever meant to work like that. In the words of its creator, "EFB provides all necessary flight information available 'right at your fingertips' in digital format", which is exactly what it does, so IMHO I don't believe it can in any way legitimately be compared with FSCommander or FSBuild. For me, it works brilliantly once I have already got my overall route and am looking for the best SID (and STAR, for short routes) based on the current weather and runways in use.

When PFPX (which I assume is the new kid to which you refer) finally hits the streets, it may be that EFB becomes less useful than before: but even after seeing it in action — PFPX figured extensively in some of the AoA NGX training videos earlier this year — I'm still not sure whether, or to what extent, it will supplant EFB in my flight planning workflow.

As an aside, I also wonder whether the delay in PFPX's arrival (around 12 months, now!) is caused partly by the fact that TOPCAT is being quietly improved as well so as to integrate better with PFPX? If so, I hope they're taking the opportunity to add some of the recently-introduced aircraft while they're at it, from the NGX onwards......    ^_^

Cheers,

Brian

IMHO there is none, not one , really zero tool that can plan a flight realistically taking into account weather, weight of the plane (step climbing) and the different rules regarding altitudes in different countries.

All my planning is thus by hand and imported in EFB. The one tool I have that comes close to being perfect - but which data is by now badly outdated - is Flight Operation Center.

So I use tools for weather, TOPCAT when flying supported jets, several tools to plan the flight: depending on the type of flight I am planning. (VFR/IFR, high / low, fast / slow) and the resulting flight plan is then loaded into EFB so I have all information I need during flight at my fingertips.

For that purpose I think it is perfect.

If you want to fly at VATSIM and use an approved flight plan it is also good at importing those.

:twocents:

I agree, Kasper.

However (although this is slightly O.T.) having seen the AoA videos of PFPX in action (which uses current navigational data from Navigraph or Aerosoft and works in conjunction with TOPCAT) I am hopeful that it will prove to be the nearest approach yet.   :)

Available / Planned Features

• Fully adjustable and customizable GUI (Graphical user interface) with pan-able/sizeable panes
  • Worldwide nav-database
  • "Easy plan" function for quick flightplan creation
  • Large database of included airplanes
  • User-editable aircraft files
  • Adjustable fuel burn bias to reflect flight simulator variations
  • Redispatch/Re-Release/Decision-Point planning
  • ETOPS integration including unbalanced ETOPS solution
  • Cost-Index based flight planning
  • Variable speed / constant mach segments
  • Automatic flight level allocation using country dependant hemispherical rules (including metric system)
  • Manual flight level selection
  • Various integrated fuel planning rules (EU-OPS, FAR, CASA, etc.)
  • User-defineable individual fuel planning rules
  • Flight list with delay and slot management
  • METAR/TAF and NOTAM download
  • Up-to-date Upper winds, with 48 hours forecast
  • Graphical, zoom- and pan-able world map
  • Can be used with any flight simulator
  • Take-Off and Landing performance calculation (requires a full version of TOPCAT)
  • Printable flight briefing package
  • Plan via North Atlantic Tracks (NAT), Pacific Track System (PACOTS) and Australian Organized Track System (AUSOTS)
  • Defineable user waypoints and airways
  • Automatic, manual or advanced route building including SIDs/STARs
  • Wind optimized routes
  • Printable map
  • Export routes to various Add-Ons
  • Regular Navdata update (Aerosoft and Navigraph)
  • CFMU flight plan validation

There are some videos and screenshots here: http://www.flightsimsoft.com/pfpx?p=screenshots

But you know, I strongly suspect that I will still be loading the result into EFB......   :cool:

Cheers,

Brian

I agree with Kasper, there is a reason the FAA has a dispatcher written and practical test.  They and the PIC sign the dotted line when it comes to peoples safety.  

An EFB (Electronic Flight Bag) should never, ever, ever be used as a preflight planning tool.  Use Foreflight to plan your route, get the weather from NOAA, get a briefing from DUATS, do the weight and balance, get the winds aloft and use them to figure out an altitude, use JeppView for the charts.  

Everyone strives for realism and the most intense/immersive sim experience you can get.  Fly with an OBS, forget the FMC/FMS and learn the airplane.

Also, Brian, just curious, you said the MSA doesn't matter for IFR flying?  I have never ever seen an MSA figure on anything VFR.  Only IFR charts.

Actually, MEF is Maximum Elevation Figure, not minimum.  Technically speaking, I agree that it's not exactly the same as an MSA, but it's functionally equivalent.  It's all the information you should need to fly at a safe altitude if you add a safety factor - that is probably exactly what the OROCA on a Low Altitude Enroute chart is, MEF plus a safety factor.

@Remington Box

Absolutely — an EFB isn't a planning tool, hence my agreement with Kasper in the post prior to yours. Interesting observations, too, although perhaps a little USA-centric for those of us on this side of the Pond and those who don't have I-devices or a Jeppview subscription? (I stand guilty as charged, on all counts).     :whis:  

> "...you said the MSA doesn't matter for IFR flying?"

:huh:    Er. shome mishtake, surely?

I think you must have misunderstood my comment. EFB doesn't (because it doesn't have the information) generate an MSA circle on its charts. As an IFR-only flyer I was simply saying (tongue in cheek) that so far following approach procedures (albeit interfered with by RC4) hasn't led me into any terrain problems despite not having that MSA information (and yes, I have detailed add-on mesh wherever I fly). No guarantees for tomorrow, of course.....    ;)

Cheers,

Brian

Woah! guys, sorry I just reread what I posted :stars: ... I sound like a two year old that lost their ice cream cone, I am sorry for that, I didn't mean to come across like that. 

John, thanks, I musta transposed min/max :whis:, yes the MSA is the MEF plus a few,(in non-mountainous terrain its 1000 ft clearance, mountainous its 2000 ft.)

Brian, my musings are USA-centric... that's the only place I have flown ;)  Although JeppCharts/View is worldwide.

Woah! guys, sorry I just reread what I posted :stars: ... I sound like a two year old that lost their ice cream cone, I am sorry for that, I didn't mean to come across like that. 

John, thanks, I musta transposed min/max :whis:, yes the MSA is the MEF plus a few,(in non-mountainous terrain its 1000 ft clearance, mountainous its 2000 ft.)

Brian, my musings are USA-centric... that's the only place I have flown ;)  Although JeppCharts/View is worldwide.

Anyone wana buy a used Ice cream cone?  :)

I am only and ever will be a flight simmer.  The EFB looked good to me as it saves me looking for Appr plates and other information elsewhere.

When I fly GA I like to use the VOR and not the GPS so the EFB would suit my requirements, but it is still good to read all of your inputs..

@Rem/Box

I enjoyed your Ice cream..  :) :)

@Remington Box

> .....my musings are USA-centric... that's the only place I have flown....

:)   Perfectly understood, my friend: having lived and worked for a while in your great country I understand where you're coming from. But as a long-term inmate of England please forgive me for my initial slight puzzlement. (I know that Jepp is world-wide, I'm just frustrated that I can't afford it). Thank God that as simmers we can all understand each other!    :pilotic:  

Cheers,

Brian

P.S. The ice cream is great, too, but next time you're in Italy, do give theirs a try.    ^_^

<*cough*>   Yeah, something humungous like that.  <gulp>

It always struck me as curious that even something as simple as a nut and bolt has one price for the rest of the world, and also a very much higher price if it's to be fitted into an aircraft.

Yet Jepp and others have never been interested in doing a simplified (or, in the nicest sense, outdated) version to help enthusiasts like us in the simming community. Sad.

Hey ho.    :secret:

Cheers,

Brian

@Brian

Seems like a good solution, definitely worth a look on release (I still think I will have to do some manual work, but who knows) - and I will probably export the results to EFB too :-)