Important update from Pete Dowson: FSUIPC 3 & 4

Dowson-FSUIPC4n3.gif

FSUIPC will need replacing on all user systems!

For the last ten years FSUIPC has been protected against both unwanted alteration and virus infection by the use of a Code Signature, purchased from and protected by GlobalSign, an officially recognised Windows Certificate Authority.

It has come to my attention that within the last two weeks the same Code Signature has been used to sign malicious software, apparently in the form of Java updates, to make it look valid and safe. Whilst the FSUIPC packages themselves are not affected in any way by these, it does mean that we have had to ask GlobalSign to revoke the signature. This in turn will cause the signature to appear incorrect, and because FSUIPC actively checks it every time it is started the end result is that all versions of FSUIPC3 and FSUIPC4 before today’s date will cease to function.

After due consideration it has been decided that we will dispense with Code Signing henceforth, and over the next few days unsigned versions of all of my programs will be released, replacing the signed versions and with incremented version numbers, but with no other changes.

Because only FSUIPC has the Signature self-checking built in, it is the main priority, and versions 4.90 and 3.999z2 have been released today free of this check. All users will need to update for continued use of the program, and software producers who include FSUIPC in their packages are asked to update those as soon as is convenient and practical.

Apologies to all for this unprecedented event. We still don’t know how the break in the signature’s security occurred but we will be following this up with GlobalSign.

Best Regards

Pete

More: 

Full details are available by clicking “Read more” below, or by visiting Pete Dowson’s post here on his support forum, at simFlight. Download links are available at Schiratti.com; here. For a short time, the following direct links to FSUIPC3 (3.999z2) and FSUIPC4 (4.90) at Dropbox are also live.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/475129/Install_FSUIPC490.zip

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/475129/Install_FSUIPC3999z2.zip

Please note that this is not a security breach within FSUIPC itself – it is only the security certificate that has been compromised.

If you aren’t sure what FSUIPC is, or whether you have it, full details can be found on the product pages at simMarket and it can be found within your Flight Simulator 9/modules, Microsoft Flight Simulator X/modules or Prepar3D/modules folder. If you have a file entitled “FSUIPCx.dll” (x is dependant on the FS version) then you need to update, in order for FSUIPC to keep working.

Read more

Link to Pete's forum http://forum.simflight.com/topic/74355-fsuipc-will-need-replacing-on-all-user-systems/

• 2 weeks later...

Uploading this from a friend's PC. He's downloaded and installed the updated versions of FSUIPC in both FS9 and FSX. FS9 is golden. FSX won't work. The installer runs and the requisite files are being written into FSX -> Modules. The FSUIPC4.DLL file is dated 5/5/13 (12:09 AM - 407 KB). All looks correct.

When starting FSX (yes, as Administrator) there's a message box that FSUIPC can't be verified and "Run" and "Don't Run" buttons. If "Run" is selected, another message box appears briefly but goes away by itself too quickly to be read and FSX folds it's tent completely. If the "Don't Run" button is selected, FSX starts normally but there is no "Modules" pad in the top-line menu bar and no FSUIPC at all. In that instance, many things in FSX don't work correctly, e.g. a loaded flight plan will display properly on the kneeboard but will not update during the flight. Suspect these effects are from FSUIPC not being present.

We've moved Dowson's FSUIPC4_Loader.dll to the Modules folder manually, as suggested in the installation docs and re-run the install (many times). Have checked permissions and the user has full modify rights to the Modules folder - the files are being written there during the installs, so that's not the problem.

Looking far any suggestions here about what we could try next.

John

Just checked mine for you John,

Re: FSX

My .DLL file is the same size and the date is (of course) slightly different. I haven't flown with it yet because my joystick is still at sea, but running FSX shows no differences that I can see. The thing I modified is the number of saves and the interval under "Autosave" and those settings seem to have been carried over from the previous version.

I downloaded the executable, ran it as administrator, and did the auto register thing. First time running prompted the usual "Do you want to run, etc" warning. All has been as expected from that point onward.

Any chance of a corrupted executable?

Sorry I can't offer any more.

Downloaded the file from Dowson's site two or three times with the same result each time, but didn't think at the time to try it with the firewall off.  That might make a difference.

It won't start FSX if you tell it to "Run" FSUIPC.  If you select "Don't Run" you get FSX without FSUIPC.  Damned if you do - damned if you don't.

John