Yes a very useful tool for temporarily stopping various Windows Services. Especially where CPU usage is being pushed. Not sure if Ken Salter still offers support for it as it is quite an old program. Still works beautifully though with W7.

May be a little difficult to find a proper download. I just tried and was directed to various "strange" sites. Hence no link, sorry. Hope you have better luck.

Thanks for the info, i downloaded it some time ago from a link given to me by aerosoft, I have no performance probs so to speak it is just that I may gain some more overhead if I can stop a few things running which are not serving a purpose in fsx

Hi BF,

Am I correct in thinking that this program would do more to tune our PCs, than Nick Needhams tuning process?

If so I'd like to download it also if it's still available.

It's a dodgy road to take when we start shutting services off.

I tried it once quite a while ago and ended up stuffing my system up.

It's so long ago that I tried it that I can't remember what I did to get back to normal.

I think I forgot what services I'd shut off, then when things started acting strangely, I couldn't figure out why.

Let us know how you get on with it please.

I for one would be interested.

Cheers

Brian

Thanks for the manual, most useful must admit it has a high pucker factor, I don't want to remove something and the system refuse to start.

as a matter of interest the 7-64 link download has a virus in it so my norton will not allow me to download it so shall work with the download taken from the link above

Hi guys, as I have mentioned on another thread somewhere on mutleys I use iobit's advanced system care pro (it also has a free version) and as well as keeping my system running smooth it also has a 'game booster' which turns off non-essential processes and gives you the option for turning off other progs that may run in the background ie, printer,pdf reader, etc. I've been using both free and paid versions for a few yrs now and along with ms security essentials as my only security progs have never had any viruses. Other security progs will stop you loading some add ons/progs etc saying they have a virus because some use similar script but iobit and ms security essentials can tell the difference. Hope this rant helps ;)

Glen

I am always interested in keeping my PC in tip-top condition. I use freeware and payware programs to achieve this. However, I have never noticed any perceivable increase in performance from FSX by stopping services. Indeed, some of these performance enhancing programs introduce other problems that never existed before.

My experience has now made the saying "If it aint broke, don't fix it" truer than ever. I have minimal tweaks in FSX cfg, a couple of tweaks using nVidia Inspector and that's it, lovely and smooth. The biggest enemy to FSX performance is badly engineered addons, some of them modify files that were never originally designed to be modified, so any bodging will reduce performance.

I am sure the performance is throttled by the limitations that 32 bit brings in memory allocation, if FSX could access all that extra memory we wouldn't have to keep updating our CPU's?!

That's my :twocents:   

Joe , I must admit I am of the same mindset as yourself. I have no performance issues at all, it is just that mathijs (aerosoft) recommended a few progs which he considers "essential" and i guess i wanted to know if it was snake oil or not.

I am always interested in keeping my PC in tip-top condition. I use freeware and payware programs to achieve this. However, I have never noticed any perceivable increase in performance from FSX by stopping services. Indeed, some of these performance enhancing programs introduce other problems that never existed before.

My experience has now made the saying "If it aint broke, don't fix it" truer than ever. I have minimal tweaks in FSX cfg, a couple of tweaks using nVidia Inspector and that's it, lovely and smooth. The biggest enemy to FSX performance is badly engineered addons, some of them modify files that were never originally designed to be modified, so any bodging will reduce performance.

I am sure the performance is throttled by the limitations that 32 bit brings in memory allocation, if FSX could access all that extra memory we wouldn't have to keep updating our CPU's?!

That's my :twocents:

Would agree entirely with Joe.

Windows shuts down unneeded services itself when required.

Like Joe, I have never required such a utility. Same applies to fancy defrag utilities. Tested a while ago, just as the flight sim gurus recommend. Absolutely no improvement at all.

Most of this stuff is snake oil.

One or two of the tweaks in the cfg, that actually do work, and that's all you need. Like Joe, my sim is super smooth.

I recently downloaded a program called 'Razer Game Booster'.

I applied it to FSX and didn't notice any change in fps.

It's now uninstalled.

You never know until you try I suppose.