Over time I'm hoping to buy the Horizons UK VFR packs but need to know if there are any addons I should consider (other than obviously the UK VFR Airfields), to help enhance their effectiveness.

I'm thinking specifically about the ground elevation. Right now there are areas of motorway near where i Live which I know are raised above the surrounding countryside on embankments but in FSX, even though I have all sliders maxed out, these sections of motorway are flat, level with the surrounding ground. Will just the installation of UKVFR scenery rectify this or do I need to do/get something else first in order to see the correct ground elevations. These small differences are quite important to my FSX flying as I concentrate on low altitude LSA stuff.

I guess what I'm asking is what people's ideal collection would be to get the best from UKVFR. What combination plays best together? I.e Horizons VFR, UTX Europe, etc?

Hi Steve,

The best addition you can get for Horizon's UK VFR scenery is Earth Simulations TreeScapes available here http://www.flightstore.co.uk/flight-simulation-c499/scenery-add-ons-c543/treescapes-for-fsx-c545/treescapes-volumes-1-2-3-complete-england-wales-for-fsx-p2778 It really adds another dimension to the scenery and is reasonably accurate.

Generation X scenery will gladly sit on top of UTX and FEX and would take precedence.

Cheers,

Joe

Horizon photoscenery comes with a supposed 5m resolution terrain mesh, so I've found most of the terrain looks reasonably close to accurate.

Where it fails though is that there are plenty of places where there are bridges etc and the mesh generally shows the underlying ground elevation only, leading to 'ditches' in motorways etc.

I've wondered about doing a load of extrusion bridges sometimes to fix many of these in areas I fly in regularly but never made the time to actually do it, just did one motorway junction as a proof if concept :(

Also if you were interested enough to have a go, it's possible to use SBuilderX to change the underlying terrain by using sloped flattens. With that plus extrusion bridges (also capable of being done in SBX) it should be relatively straightforward to amend any GenX issues that you found so objectionable that you can't live with :). you just need a bit of time and perseverance to get to grips with it, but if you wanted to have a go I'd be happy to help you get started...feel free to get in touch!

Cheers

K

Thanks for the tips, guys. I definately have Treescapes on my list and I think i'll wait and see what UK VFR looks like b4 I start getting deep in the weeds with manually fixing terrain annoyances. I'm not too good with that kind of thing but will definately take you up on the offer of help in that regard if I decide I want to have a go at it.

One question about UTX and UK VFR, though. I'm under the impression that when using UK VFR you have to drop autogen to zero. That being the case, doesn't that disable UTX, too?

I don't think you have to drop autogen to zero with Horizon Generation X scenery, I certainly don't! As is out of the box it doesn't contain any autogen scenery itself, so this impression may have been given by someone who advocated dropping autogen to zero because there isn't any to display?

I do not think it makes any performance difference to do that though, and like you say, that action will disable other scenery as well.