I've been using Plan G as my map and really like it a lot. It's simple to use and does the job I want it for....... BUT it keeps crashing, dispite trying the various connection methods and now I'm bored with messing with it.

All my flying is VFR so I don't need anything OTT on the IFR flight plan side of things. I just want a half decent moving map along the lines of Plan-G but that is stable. I don't mind payware if it's going to behave so your opinions/recommendations on a good alternative to Plan G would be gratefully received.

Thanks guys

Steve.

Hi, Steve.

If you have an Android smartphone or tablet, the freeware FsMovMapServer.exe (installed on PC) and FsMovMap (installed on Android device) will display a moving Google map remotely from your PC.

This has never crashed so far after many hours of use, with the advantage that the map does not take up valuable desktop space and if flying on auto-pilot, can be monitored from another room, for example whilst having a tea-break.

Cheers,

Ray.

Thanks for your suggestions, guys. I looked at FSMovMap but as I have a multi-monitor setup I decided AGAINST using my smart phone and for now I've installed GMap to see what it's like. So far it's working well with no crashes and it does what I need. I'll give it a propper session tomorrow though.

Thanks again. :)

• 2 months later...

Once you've tried Avliasoft EFB (and they give you a generous 30 days' trial, or used to) then there's nothing that can compare.

Bye-bye Navigraph charts: Avliasoft generates the charts for you and presents them onscreen at the time you need them, on the fly.(sorry)

And if that isn't enough, as well as the moving map you get superb assistance with your SID and STAR selection, too.

Try it: I have a feeling you'll like it. The only downside I'm aware of is that it doesn't work with P3D.

Cheers,

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of people have used PlanG with no problems. The first step with any software is to make sure you have all the updated programs that are required to run it and it is in the required folder designated by the installation file. The next step is to contact the author of the program and see if they can help you work things out. Tim Arnot. the program author. is very dedicated to his flight planner and I am sure he would do his best to get it running on your PC. Any newer versions will always have bugs associated with certain setups and by contacting their site you will be doing not only him but other users a favour, once a conflict has been tracked down and resolved. JMO :)  

Which version of Plan G have you been using?

I find that v3.x is as stable as jelly and crashes all the time, but version 2.x works just fine.

John - you will be aware of the Plan-G website (where you downloaded Plan-G from!) and I'm sure that Tim, and other users, would be most interested in your views on Version 3. I've used V3 and I don't have much problems, so maybe, as Brett suggests, it could be your installation?

Funnily enough, I'm with you on V2 - the GoogleMap base (topography and satellite view) suits me better. However, GoogleMaps have changed their charging policy and Tim's app has been so successful that if he hadn't migrated to StreetMap in V3 we wouldn't be sure that Plan-G had any future. So, enjoy V2 while you can, but be prepared to use V3 when Google's punitive charges materialise!

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

• 4 weeks later...

John - you will be aware of the Plan-G website (where you downloaded Plan-G from!) and I'm sure that Tim, and other users, would be most interested in your views on Version 3. I've used V3 and I don't have much problems, so maybe, as Brett suggests, it could be your installation?

I have v3 on my FSX PC and on a second PC with V2 on the second PC as well.  remote V2 is the most reliable of the 3 installs with the remote v3 being the most unstable. 

• 3 weeks later...