How, for the love of Hades, can I have 16gig of RAM and 2gig on my GPU, Winblows 7 64bit and STILL get the dreaded OOM error? Just shoot me now.

*walks off into the sunset shaking his head and muttering summin unsavoury about Microsuck.*

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed you can..

Since FSX is a 32-bit application it can only allocate up to about 4 gb of memory, including video Ram, no matter how much you have access to in you PC..

The upside of having a 64-bit OS is that even if FSX allocates close to it's maximum limit you still have memory available to your OS and other applications. In a 32-bit OS you're limited to 4 GB total for all running applications...

Have you tried unchecking all the scenery you are not using for a particular flight and also moving the aircraft that you are not using at the time, into a folder outwith FSX.

I'm not wholly sure, but I would think that that, would ease the load off your memory allocations a wee bit.

Don't take that as gospel because I'm only throwing a thought or two into the pot.

Hope it helps a wee bit.

Cheers :thum:

It all depends on what you are trying to run. If you are running an ftx prog with the NGX  then you are running on a thin edge . go into your fsx .cfg and look at what LOD you are running normally with normal scenery I can run an LOD of 6.5 otr higher but combine FTX and PMDG and you will have to lower the LOD to 4.5.

Also you can find if you have flown a whie  and then started a new flight much of the previous flight will not have been flushed from the cache, so if you want to start a long flight it is best to rebbot and start fresh

Good advice from Brian and Brit. I tend to disable half of my Xtreme airports these days when flying anywhere in the UK, and I also have to disable the FSX Power Project pylons when operating from Heathrow Xtreme (or London City Xtreme with VFR London X enabled), simply because I have my Ultimate Traffic 2 AI ramped up to 100% (probably insane, but why bother with an AI package at all if you aren't going to make it realistic)? In addition, I do not set my LOD radius to anything above 4.5. It looks perfectly fine on my 19" monitor running at 1280x1024 resolution with this setting. Frankly, I am astonished at some of the ridiculous LOD settings that some people try to use. I don't know how it's possible to run complex payware planes, airports and scenery with a LOD radius of 9.5 :huh:

Framerates are generally acceptable in most locations, although they tend to chug at Heathrow Xtreme with nearly a hundred AI planes in the area, and also at ES Guernsey (the single, most detailed compact scenery area that I have in FSX). However, I am going to reduce my super sampling setting tonight, and maybe also remove clouds to see if I get any performance improvements.

As far as disabling scenery I've never needed to do so, but I guess if you are passing a great number of detailed airports along the way where you wont be landing that could help to some extent since they will need to be displayed on the ground as you pass them, thus "wasting" memory ...

Mikael,

If I have everything active at once, I can easily get an OOM error by simply taxiing to the runway, taking off, doing a circuit, and landing again at an airport like Heathrow Xtreme, and that's with Windows 7 Home Edition 64bit installed!!

I as a rule of thumb i disable all the scenery that I am not going to use upon starting fsx, I have seen many threads that say it does nothing written by so called learned people, but it cant hurt to turn it off if you are not using it.

I only had OOM's last year when using fsx aussie and the NGX because like Joe I like an LOD of 8.5 from time to time ,although more often than not I mainly use 6.5.

However on my second monitor I have 2 small apps for a better name that stay in the sidebar and show me graphically what my processor is doing and like wise my graphics card. These progs give early warning of impending doom which gives one the chance to pause the sim and make some adjustments before it all goes to a ball of chalk. They are freeware and have saved me quite a lot of times.

Now here is a question for someone who knows p.c's if fsx can only use 4gb of memory in 64 bit windows what is the limit on the graphics card which nowadays work virtually independantly , my current card has 3gb but I can now see that the new cards are available with 6gb? I certainly put down my lack of oom's to my 3gb card as I have never had one since fitting it.

Lots of helpful suggestions there, guys. Thanks a lot for your input. I'll start working through them and see what happens.

Just to be clear, when talking about disabling scenery we aren't using, are you saying that if, for example, I'm flying in Scotland, disabling London X or all my addons in the South of England will save on memory use? I always assumed only the stuff in view, i.e. airports, traffic, autogen etc in your immediate area would hog memory.

Hi Steve,

As I said in my reply post, I am not absolutely sure that this would save on memory but was worth a shot.

I don't profess to understand the inner workings of how FSX, Scenery or Aircraft affect the use of memory, so I only suggested turning any scenery off and removing aircraft that you're not using, as a 'try it and see' theory. 

The guys replying on this thread, have a whole world of knowledge on this subject than I do, so you can try what I've suggested and if it doesn't make any difference to your OOM problems, then you've lost nothing by trying.

Do take note of what Britfrog suggests and indeed the other guys, as they are pretty much on the button when it comes to sharing useful advice.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Brian

Now here is a question for someone who knows p.c's if fsx can only use 4gb of memory in 64 bit windows what is the limit on the graphics card which nowadays work virtually independantly , my current card has 3gb but I can now see that the new cards are available with 6gb? I certainly put down my lack of oom's to my 3gb card as I have never had one since fitting it.

Back when waiting for the PMDG NGX release I'm pretty sure one of their support guys (forum name "Tabs" over on AVSIM) said something about the Video Memory being included in that maximum allocation of memory since it's really not running out of Memory but rather running out of Memory Allocation addresses due the the limitation in 32-bit applications.  Further more, if I remember correctly, the Video Memory has priority in allocation. Since it's been at least two years since I read it it's unfortunately going to be like finding a needle in a haystack to try and dig that post up, and my memory might be a bit off...

It could also be that RAM allocation Addresses and Video Memory allocation Addresses are two separate things, and in that case you would be limited to 4 gb of each in FSX since that is the maximum number of allocation addresses a 32-bit application can handle...

Also I should add that I'm not really a techie, so the last bit is not solid knowledge but rather my reasoning on the matter based on my version of logic thinking :whis:  

Lots of helpful suggestions there, guys. Thanks a lot for your input. I'll start working through them and see what happens.

Just to be clear, when talking about disabling scenery we aren't using, are you saying that if, for example, I'm flying in Scotland, disabling London X or all my addons in the South of England will save on memory use? I always assumed only the stuff in view, i.e. airports, traffic, autogen etc in your immediate area would hog memory.

I agree with your reasoning in this matter Steve, scenery that are never within you LOD radius should not eat up any memory.. or at least scenery that doesn't come close to your LOD-radius.. For example if flying in England disabling US scenery should not, in my opinion, save you any memory. But I guess FSX could be "pre-loading" stuff that borders to the outer border of your LOD radius.

But on the other hand, FSX does strange things so one never knows ;)

Memory addressing bandwidth can be almost unlimited on any cpu - the limiting factor is how much ram can be addressed in one clock cycle.

Back in the early 70's I worked with Intel's 4004 & 4040 4-bit cpus (the 4004 was the World's first micro-porocesor). To only be able to address 16 memory locations would be severely limiting! If I remember correctly, the 4004 used 12-bit memory addressing - its 12-bit addressing register required 3-clock cycles to fill up (4+4+4 bits).

This severely reduces processing speed, particularly when the top clock speed was only about 750-KHz, but at that time, mechanical accounting machines were still in much use, so cpu speeds were fast relative to mechanical rotating cam shafts.

Intel's 8-bit cpus used another method of addressing memory larger than the 256 location limit - memory paging. This consisted of multiple blocks of 256 memory locations - one of my pet hates was using machine code to program it. In comparison, the ARM RISC 32-bit cpu did not need page addressing and was a delight to machine code.

As an aside, gpu cards have their own processor(s)/memory controllers/firmware drivers and are not tied to the 32-bit or even the 64-bit limit of Windows.

Cheers,

Ray.

Uh oh! Registry tinkering. I'm allergic to tinkering with my registry, especially when it's a relatively new install. I'll try the less risky fixes first b4 going down that road but thanks for the pointers Brian. It never hurts to have more weapons in the armoury.

jaydor, on 04 May 2013 - 10:45 PM, said:snapback.png

Most forget that FSX is a software package that runs on windows, so windows has to be able to help make a stable platform for it, by us the user helping to improve windows.

One way of helping it is to increase the virtual memory from a windows managed system to a user specified. I have increased mine, so below I have made some screenies for you to follow:

Go to control panel and open it. Then choose on the left panel Advanced system settings. Then just follow the shots below:

9Azxo.jpg

vGIzK.jpg

Thats one way. Now for an added tweak to windows that not many know about and that is improving the display of windows.

Again it is through Control panel and this time you choose Color Managemant:

Select Advanced tab and from the dropdowns inside the ringed areas choose the same as mine:

bqCKO.jpg

Now you should see a good improvement. Here are a couple of shot to show how by just zooming in from the outside view:

fyoDK.jpg

yxBbL.jpg

wrbOt.jpg

Fz6Et.jpg

BhPlQ.jpg

Aircraft repaint by Ron Attwood

These shots were taken on my second computer being a Quad2 and a ATI 5830 card

There will be a lose of quality from the above shots due to jpeggin, but you should see a better quality picture on your screen.

So a lot of problems are window problems and not FSX remember..

Part 2..   from above

You may not need to go so high with the VR numbers as I did but I had loads free.

Double it on the first try and go from there (Keep adding numbers)

I originally posted this on Orbx and it has been met with a great response..  :)

Linc to the original:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/58637-improving-fsx-via-windows/

I found it, but I do not have all of those icons that you have. I had to dig around until I found it by accident.

I am using Classic view and if you look at the top right of control panel you will see I am using Large icons..