Hello,

I just installed REX essential+overdrive and everything works well in the REX interface. I changed the configuration to C:/Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X 

and created a custom texture pack and installed it. The trouble  starts when I try to fly. I go to the main menu on REX and click "i just want to fly". FSX boots up and I go to free flight and choose my plane and location. When I click "fly now" it works but has the regular fsx textures. There is a green bar at the top that says REX is trying to load weather data but then an error message pops up in fsx saying it couldn't load weather themes. I click ok and continue flying fsx with the default fsx textures. How do I get REX textures to work? Am I missing something?

Thanks

Hi Pace and welcome to the site. :welcomeani:

I have had REX for a few months now and it was working fine. Now I too am getting the same problem you have described above, it sometimes states that it could not connect with my server too(HTTP Error 503). I checked over at the REX site and there was something about the weather themes should still be loading correctly but the little map thingee is not working and they are working on it. For some reason they closed the thread, I guess so they didn't getting the same complaint over and over. Hopefully someone here has some advice for this situation. I say hopefully but I am pretty confident someone will have the answer, they haven't failed me yet. :D Here is the link to the REX thread I mentioned(you will need to log on the site) 

Hi Pace and welcome to the site. :welcomeani:

I have had REX for a few months now and it was working fine. Now I too am getting the same problem you have described above, it sometimes states that it could not connect with my server too(HTTP Error 503). I checked over at the REX site and there was something about the weather themes should still be loading correctly but the little map thingee is not working and they are working on it. For some reason they closed the thread, I guess so they didn't getting the same complaint over and over. Hopefully someone here has some advice for this situation. I say hopefully but I am pretty confident someone will have the answer, they haven't failed me yet. :D Here is the link to the REX thread I mentioned(you will need to log on the site) 

Thanks for the information. I have another question though. When you click "Fly Now!" in the REX interface does it make you go through the fsx free flight tab and set everything up? or does it just bypass that and boot up straight to your flight? Also that link isn't working for me.

You might need to register at their support/forum area of the site first before being able to see the forum post I linked.

One thing I thought I might mention is that in the manual(Important Read Me section) it states to NEVER install REX into the main FSX or P3D folder. Mine is installed in my C:\ drive. 

The Fly Now option, which I use, opens/starts FSX normally to whatever page you last had open and also starts up the REX WX screen. Once you select your flight REX will load the weather for that area and you will see the Wx screen load with a map and all four the weather condition tabs.   

You can make FSX load a specific saved flight instead of the default Friday Harbor one simply by using the Save button on the main free flight page and checking Make this my default flight. I do not recommend this myself because it will change your aircraft settings for all other flights to this new saved flight and I have heard others state the same thing.  

I hope that answers your question. :) 

I just had a few problems with Rex where the texture screen was j just blank - so I couldn't select what textures I wanted. also the weather was going a bit crazy giving temperatures in the uk at below freezing when outside my window it was +20.

After searching their forums I think I tracked it back to a bad install of an update, which seems reasonable as their updates aren't the easiest to install/figure out. I downloaded the whole pack again a reinstalled it and updated it to the latest version with just one update and it seems to be Ok now.

I guess you can't go wrong with a reinstall but I hate to do that if there is a simpler solution. Someone post another thread in the REX forum with the same problem. Support have asked him to answer a long list of questions so they can help him.

Glad you got it fixed Pace. :) Happy flying. 

I haven't checked back in with the RWX forum but I did go back into the configuration manager and did both a backup/restore to the REX server. 503 error disappeared. Not sure who fixed it me or them but at least it is fixed.