You have to be really careful if you're removing stock aircraft as some of the panel information, for instance, is traded back and forth between the various airplanes. The airspeed indicator in one may be published in another (completely different) aircraft reference set. It is best not to mess with the stock setup unless you are 100% sure of what you'e doing. I'm only quoting one example but there are many. 

Some aftermarket aircraft rely wholly on data published in the stock aircraft files.

Removing AC is usually OK, if not default FS aircraft.  If payware with an uninstall feature, use that, otherwise just delete (or re-locate) the folder under the FSX "SimObject/Airplanes" folder. 

Artifacts will sometimes be left, usually in the Gauges and Effects folders, possibly others, but shouldn't cause any problems.  Traffic programs usually do not choke when "expected" AC are no longer present, just don't display them.  Worst case is if another add-on AC uses an aliased cockpit from a deleted one.

John

:blahblah:  :blahblah:  It takes a little extra work but when I install an aircraft that has effects, gauges or other extra files that need to be installed, I make a text doc in the aircraft folder that states what items I have added and to what folder. 

example:

The following items were added to the fsx files for this aircraft

FSX Sound Folder
DG folder

FSX Effects Folder
fx_navgre_DG.fx(used in other aircraft also)
fx_navred_DG.fx(used in other aircraft also)
fx_navwhi_DG.fx(used in other aircraft also)
fx_tchdrt_DG.fx

FSX Gauges Folder
dsd_xml_sound3.gau

I do not list any file that is already in use, like a default file that will sometimes be included in a download so I do not remove an essential file. In the case above where I have put a note in parenthesis, the files are used by the same type aircraft that was split into multiple folders. I try not to use installers when possible or I will install them to a temp folder and manual install from there.

Thanks for all the info guys. I have quite a few A/C loaded but still only use the same 3 or 4 on a regular basis and trawling through the list to find them is getting a tad annoying now. Time for me to do some pruning.