On kiwi TV at the moment, there's an epic documentry series airing called 'New Zealand from Above' with plenty of inspiring high def in flight footage around our scenic back country. I thought it would be a fun idea to take Carenado's latest offering, thier Cessna C206H, up on a cross country flight through flight through the South Island's Alpine Faultline valley systems that were featured on last weeks episode.

This is a map of the route, if anyone wants the .PLN file with the custom GPS waypoints, just let me know below.

hx8ygwz.jpg

Takeoff from Woodbourne (NZWB), and pick up the wide braided Wairau River running towards the South West. State Highway 63 runs along side, but breaks off to parallel the Buller River at the head of Lake Rotiti. This road soon meets State Highway 6 at a T shaped junction deep in a valley which required a left hand turn to continue following- forming the beginning of a large U shaped turn back towards the south east. Continue to follow the road and the river through the amazing mountainous terrain, and it'll eventually open up to a wider valley holding the township of Murchison.

F24tF0c.jpg

l6ieTL2.jpg

ziAh86S.jpg

lIWU2Mr.jpg

VtXI82v.jpg

qO7IUNy.jpg

u6G96OR.jpg

t0EWgS7.jpg

3Xs3ix5.jpg

Try and spot the airstrip to the southern side of the town as you pass overhead, then intercept the Matakitaki River heading due south. At it's first major fork, take the first narrow valley to the right hand side of the river split which soon opens up to a longer straighter passage with State Highway 65 running down it's centre. Follow the valley south west, then south west west crossing State Highway 7 keeping your eyes on the horizon for two small lakes, side by side, that will eventually come into view. The slightly further of the two lakes is Lake Haupiri, and has a sealed aerodrome, home to Air West Coast, sitting off to the left hand side.

2X8FHIh.jpg

otuLQqX.jpg

89QHtf2.jpg

dvFCBG7.jpg

kVttDic.jpg

Bear in mind landings are only permitted on runway 11 at NZHP due to steep rising terrain in the opposite direction

SMc96rz.jpg

KhNMNVV.jpg

Db5txKO.jpg

YR9x4nV.jpg

:rockon:  Great posting AP, just the way we like them.

Following these real world routes are fun, the scenery and weather in your shots are outstanding!

I would like a copy of your pln file as I have NZSI too, any chance of uploading them to the file library?

Cheers,

Joe

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...