Hello all - So, after numerous years of playing with, installing, tweaking and generally loving FS9, a couple of months ago my old PC finally gave up the ghost in a fairly spectacular manner (there was smoke!). Having weighed up the pro's and cons I finally decided to take the plunge to FSX. Reading forum upon forum, I've plumped for a new machine (of pretty decent spec) which arrives in the next day or so and have in my possession a new box containing FSX Gold, so I'm nearly ready to go. 

I'm hoping with my specs, I should be able to go for some pretty intensive stuff without impact on the FPS

So, simply put, advice please on a few things - already I've decided to install the following (based on my old FS9 install):

Heathrow & Gatwick UK2000

London VFR

PMDG 747 and 737

Captain Sim 777

Airbus Evolution

REX

Other airports and planes come up as and when....

But what traffic should I go for? I used WOAI on FS9, but with its demise, I'd rather go for a new install, so UT2 and My Traffic seem to be the two to choose from - I read somewhere that one of them effectively exists outside of the game and therefore doesn't impact FPS, but I can't find that article again. I like real life schedules, but also the chance to edit them, so I'm not flying alongside the same plane running the same route!

To be honest, although I'm happy to do a bit of under bonnet tinkring, it's not what I'd rather do, so are there any absolute must-do's before I even get up and running?

Any and all advice really appreciated!

Cheers

Rob

Hi Rob and welcome to Mutley's.

Speaking from bitter experience I would strongly recommend against adding ANY addon until you've thoroughly tested your basic installation. Whack your FSX settings as high as they'll go anf fly around in the default FSX for a good few hours (if not days) to see if there are any issues. If not, put in your addons one at a time and test again.

I came back to FSX after getting what I thought was a great new rig and promptly started loading up my old addons. I'm now in the position of having to do enormous amounts of testing and tweaking in an effort to squash the OOM error and having no real clue as to where exactly the problem lies. At least if you find any similar issues whilst still using the "out of the box" installation you won't have such a large haystack to search through. On the plus side, you will be overwhelmed by the amount of help you'll get from the gang here.

Hi Rob,

it all depends on what you want to fly regularly if its tubeliners then any airport by uk2000 or aerosoft and my traffic works well along with REX and the pmdg a/c however I have the captain sim 777 and am noy that impressed, it is not a big issue as I only paid about £10 for it in their sale so neither here nor there if you want a t7 wait for the pmdg one which is due very soon.

another plane which i would recommend is the aerosoft airbus extended or whatever they call it now  it is not as technically perfect as the NGX but it makes up for it by being so flyable.

But as Steve says above get fx installed with sp1 and 2 and other very necessary items before installing the remaining 9 yards

Cheers for the advice so far - I am waiting for the PMDG 777. To be honest it was one of the reasons for upgrading to FSX - I suspect it's the death knell for FS9 and new planes won't be made for it, which is a shame!

So, we're up and running. Install went fine and all the sliders everywhere went to the right and off I got into the Microlight around Friday Harbour and woah, was I impressed. Incredibly smooth, no jitters, lovely views and textures, etc. So, after 20 mins or so of flying, went off to Heathrow to give the 747 a spin. All good, though I have to say the default model's a bit cr*p. But still lovely views, smooth textures - all in all a great experience. 

So, I upped the ante and put some weather in. 737 this time from Gatwick and that was fine until I took off and suddenly it just CTD - bugger. No warning, no slowing down or anything. OK, start again with some weather in New York and fly around in a Cessna and then it crashes again. Basically, it seems that as soon as there's a bit of rain or interesting weather, it crashes. I dropped a couple of sliders, then realised it was 3am...... So, that's where I am. 

I read a couple of articles on the way to work about  installing uiautomationcore.dll - is this something that's a must do? The CTD does seem odd, not least because up until that point everything was running smoothly!!

Cheers for any advice!!

Rob

Hi Rob,

The UIAutomationCore fix is well known and is for Vista/ Win7/8 64bit operating systems.

If you fly airliners a lot the chances are you will come across this problem at some time.

I have just uploaded the file to our library here http://forum.mutleyshangar.com/index.php/files/file/2382-uiautomationcore/ to save you looking for it.

Cheers,

Joe

mistwalker will be reading this and be green with envy!!  nvidia inspector is a must have and there are several highly necessary mods that you have to do with the fsx.cfg

pm me with your email address and i will send you two files to peruse which will stop the ctd's

mistwalker will be reading this and be green with envy

You betchya! I've had a mare of a job getting things to play nice but I didn't have to struggle alone. Many people, not least Brit, have been helping me out a huge amount and now I'm finally at the point where I can go flying without the constant cursing that was accompanying my trips.

Rob,

Revisit WOAI if you want.  After much soul searching, they didn't shutdown back in April as intended.  Other than that, on the AI traffic side, I second Rob's suggestion on UT2.  After having Traffic X and binning it within a week, I have been more than happy with UT2 since.

Cheers

Andrew

So, we're properly up and running now! Put a few of the tweaks in as suggested, uiautomaton and highmem, as these seemed to be the must do's and ran it for some time. As before no problems at all with the graphics maxed out - looked very very good. And best of all, no crashes. Ran a flight from London to Paris in poor weather and it all went swimmingly. So, took the plunge and went for it with a few add ons. Firstly the PMDG 747 - wow! So much cleaner than the FS9 version. Ran that for a bit. Happy! Then went for Heathrow on UK 2000, and that was pretty good. The graphics were a bit stuttery, but nothing too nasty. Played around, weather, the whole gambit and no crashes! And at that point the weekend ended........ So, this week a bit more playing around around FPS and see where we end up. 

Thanks so much for all the help so far! More updates to follow.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Guys - a quick update and another thank you! All's good in my world of FSX. Have installed all my various add ons (REX, UT2, various airports and planes) done all the recommended tweaks and have not had any CTDs at all - FPS tends to be around 28 on average, with an occasional drop down to 23 (worst case) at LHR in crap weather and lots of AI. But if that's the worst it can do, I'm pretty happy.  :)

As an aside I installed France VFR for the South of France (Cote D'Azur) and was seriously impressed. It's an area i know well and the detailing is superb - worth the investment.

Cheers again for all the help - I'll try and contribute to the forum in more general now.

Rob

Rob,

Do you run the UT2 airliners at 100%? If so, how many AI planes are generally visible at the airport on average? I am curious to know, because UK2000 Heathrow Xtreme can be a tough test with lots of AI planes active, and VFR London X enabled at the same time.

Christopher - sorry for not replying faster. I do run it at 100% and it's fair to say, there's sh1t loads of planes!! It's a bit odd though as there are more BA planes than you can shake a stick at and T5s always rammed - but the other's less so, with T3 being the least busy. The schedule's seem accurate enough with lot's of far east heavies going around 9ish of an evening. And no discernable impact on frame rates. Even tried it with last Jan's london snow storm (16th Jan if you're using Rex) and it gives me no real drop in rates. That was a pretty good test doing a landing in a PMDG 737 with snow, full traffic, etc. and all rather smooth!