Pmdg 777 moves a step closer to release.

Hey guys,

In an unusual move, pmdg lifted the NDA on beta testers tonight, allowing the much anticipated 777 to make an appearance.

Edit: there was a video but its been taken down a the poster was unhappy with the quality. Expect lots of vids to appear in the next 24 hours.

Can't wait!   :D

The response to Rob's typically circuitous and calculatedly imprecise announcement that I liked the best was the one that simply said —

"It's like an episode of Lost. You know more than before the episode but you are nowhere near having the answers you want. ;) "

The other post that made me smile was this one —

"Release date is August 21st everyone.  7+7+7 = 21"

But still, it's looking good for August.....    :thumbup:

(Hmm, or do I mean "probably by October...?")

Cheers and thanks,

Brian

P.S. Still no videos at the time of writing this — but it's the weekend, so I somehow think it won't be long....   :whis:   I somehow sense that a serious epidemic of 777-anticipation fever is about to hit us.

My pleasure!   ^_^    There's a thread with lots of exterior and interior views here:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/415208-amalgamated-777-beta-images/

(They look fantastic — especially the later ones).

Then there's a compilation of stills made into a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv3mKsc1nNE

There's also a few more "real" videos:

Right-hand seat view of a low-visibility autoland:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq-kur3KpPc&feature=player_embedded

Another autoland, this time a sunset landing in Nigeria by Froogle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67Rtsz5wQrs

Night landing and taxy in at Dubai:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG0E4gkixJ8&feature=player_embedded

Now for the most difficult part of the wait.....    :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Brian

Just one more post and then I'll stop adding to this thread until the thing is released, honest!      :whis:

Fellow PC Pilot subscribers (and writers) will obviously know the name of Deputy Ed. Jane Whittaker, a.k.a. JaneRachel, whose articles about airliners have been such a major feature of that magazine. She has been offering her initial comments about the 777, including some pictures, which you can find here:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/415046-777-first-beta-impressions/#entry2733535

(I'd suggest grabbing yourself a drink before you start reading! It's a loooong thread, with lots of interesting stuff in it.....).

To summarise as briefly as possible, it will probably come as not too much of a surprise if I tell you that she likes it (the 777, I mean), and from her description of some of the features my already sky-high expectancy has shot up another mile or so. I'll let you read the whole thread for yourself, but I can't resist one teeny quote from near the beginning:

"One of the features that really impresses me with this aircraft is a feature in FSX that I have never seen before. It means you can SAFELY do a longhaul in a little over an hour! seriously!

Yes, we have all used time acceleration, only to regret it as the whole sim goes pear shaped! The 777 has an intelligent, auto acceleration feature built in, should you wish to speed up your flight!

Right clicking the CHR button on the clock by default engages a new automatic time compression mode that PMDG have developed. This mode intelligently accelerates time along the straight line segments of the route up to a maximum level that can be set in the SIMULATION options menu in the FMC. The feature will slow time down at turns, step climbs, level offs etc and is also capable of detecting wind, pressure, or temperature shifts that could upset the aircraft while it's flying accelerated. If these happen, it slows to 1x, recovers and then accelerates again. This mode works extremely well in our testing so far and allows you to complete the longest 200LR flights that exist like KATL-FAOR in just an hour or two. You can turn the mode off by left clicking the CHR button.

Yes really, I am not kidding!"

:wow:

<sigh>  OK, I'll shut up now and start chewing the carpet in a dark corner somewhere, waiting for release day.   :pilotic:

Cheers,

Brian

<sigh>  OK, I'll shut up now and start chewing the carpet in a dark corner somewhere, waiting for release day.   :pilotic:

Cheers,

Brian

I have heard that shag carpeting is fattening so be careful. :D  Best to just let it all out here in the forum.

I think that the time accelerator is an excellent feature, we all know the pitfalls of using the default one. :cool:

Not sure but I think he is considering it. Sorry Brian, I hear they put off release for six months due to exploding batteries. :D ONLY KIDDING now crawl over and wash that carpet down with a swig from the dogs bowl. ;)

My apologies, I don't normally talk with my mouth full.

But to clear up any possible confusion (??), I can definitely confirm that the credit card is braced to welcome the 777 into the hangar within milliseconds of the launch (assuming the download servers haven't already keeled over with the strain by that point).    ^_^

But did I mention the sophisticated autoflight system? Or the TAC (Thrust Asymmetry Compensation), the extended sound palate, the in-cockpit checklists, the significantly improved (over the NGX) frame rates, the automated engine start procedures, the full fly by wire implementation, the configurable auxiliary fuel tank options, the configurable range rings, the PRED ETA-ALT on the fix page, the ....      :stars:

Oops — you've started me off again! OK, it's back to my corner.

I'm starting to get used to the taste of the carpet, although there is one patch that I think the dog has visited before me....

Cheers,

Brian

@ Brian

You mention  the configurable auxiliary fuel tank options.  Are they drop tanks by any chance?  :whis:

Oh! and put the dog back down from your lap, you know where he's been..  :)

Hi James!

I can only quote Jane's words: "...there are a number of fuel tank options in the settings, including the full three auxiliary tanks for maximum range...".

Drop tanks? That's an idea: it would certainly give the citizens of Surbiton something to think about — "I say, Rupert, I've just got back from golf and this enormous metal thing has devastated the back garden....".

Sadly, the dog won't come onto my lap any more. He's too busy guarding his basket in case I want to chew that, too.

Cheers,

Brian

• 3 weeks later...

Hope you've finished that carpet by now Brian. In case you missed it there's some exciting news on the PMDG forum...

If nothing unexpected pops up in the final testing the release is slotted for some time this week or early next week!!

Brian, Brian, Brian, Brian, Brian, Brian, Brian, Brian, it's getting closer..  :D  :D  :D:woot:  

Brian, will you be changing your name tag to Brian777?

I am going to await the DVD release, my 747 and 737 are DVD.. :cloudnine: 

>  ...will you be changing your name tag to Brian777?

<*cough*>  Well I have to admit that I already own brian747 and brian737 on my emails, so brian777 seems like a logical extension.....    ;)

I used to be indecisive, but these days I'm not sure......

Cheers,

Brian

Hmm, just found this (not on Avsim, obviously) but originating from Randazzo, slightly earlier today:

Captains-

Welcome to release week for the PMDG 777-200LR/F!

We are in the process of tamping down some final details and cleaning up documentation and license text, all with an eye toward delivering the finest 777 simulation you have ever flown.

I want to give you a quick primer on what to expect during the week ahead, and also provide some firm warnings on on what NOT to expect- just so that we can keep everyone singing from the same sheet of music, as it were.

Here are the important things you will want to know:

1) We are currently working a dozen or so small items that will not prevent release. 

2) We are currently evaluating one item that has the potential to hold up a release. 

3) We are in a "day-to-day" decision making mode whereby we evaluate the fitness of the product and decide if we feel it is ready for release, or if we should continue to hold it for further review. 

4) Right now, the "Circle Error Probable" (you mathematicians and fellow Cold War relics will understand that reference. cool.png )on release is about seven days wide, starting Wednesday morning.

5) Given #4 above, that tells me we are likely releasing during the coming weekend.

6) If ANYTHING pops up in testing that we think requires resolution prior to release, we will do so.  Even if that means a significant delay...  We evaluate such items based entirely in the risk that they negatively impact the usability of the product- so if the risk is high, we will hold...   (I'll come back and let you know if this happens, however!)

If any of you ever SERIOUSLY believed that we are just being abusive when we tell you that we do not plan release dates- go back and read #4 and #5 again.  We are within 9 days of finishing a highly complex aircraft simulation, and we STILL don't know which day it will get released to you...   This is because we release it "on condition" rather than simply putting a tack on the calendar and saying "this is when it goes out."

Okay- so....

We WILL give you some warning...  So there is no need to sit and hammer the CTRL+R on your browser.  (Although we do love the enthusiasm!  ahahahahahha)

During the next couple of days you may see the website go down for a few moments here and there.  We are doing a bunch of testing, tweaking and tuning on the performance side.  Additionally we are going to be making sales page updates, etc.  In the past we have pushed all of those up to the server at release time, but this one may be a bit different- so if you suddenly see the 777 product sales page go live- don't panic... 

The product will be made available to you shortly after I win the release date contest that has been going on in the 777 forum.  (I love a good competition... especially when I control the outcome!  ph34r.png )

I had the good fortune to spend the weekend flying the 777 around to various points on the globe and I have to tell you that this is my favorite PMDG product ever...  This airplane FEELS and ACTS like a serious airliner- and it is hard to beat that sense of purpose when you push off the gate headed for points beyond.  One of our beta testers likened her to a cruise ship entering or leaving port- and the analogy really is spot on.

I think my favorite feature in this airplane thus far is the "cruise time acceleration."  Those of us with multiple real-world obligations that prevent 15hr long hauls can still enjoy them- because the airplane helps to smoothly and safely allow time acceleration so that I can fit a nice KSFO-EGLL segment into my sunday afternoon if I wish...  (And to those who can put the entire real-time flight in:  I eny you.  LOL)

I have seen a few folks posit that the 777 is just a "big NGX."  What a misguided thought process that is...  The 777 is a completely different bird- and the skills needed to master this airplane are completely different than those you used to succeed with the kid brother of this massive airplane.

Some folks have asked about performance:  I am seeing very very good performance all around on this airplane- even better than what I see with the NGX- and significantly better than what I saw with the 400X.

Overall I think the team is really happy with what we have accomplished here-  and we are very excited to get you all flying!

Alright: Gear Down, Flaps 30 Final Items!

(Sorry to quote it in full, but with Avsim down it seems justified).

NOT imminent, then......   :th_blush:

Cheers,

Brian

He has quite a sense of humor, hope they do well with this release. Nice to see they really care about their product and will not release it without them being totally convinced of it's quality.

That's the one I was referring to Brian (who, me, spending time on AVSIM.. no way..don't tell Joe, OK  :D ) 

@Brett: I generally find Captain Randazzos post very funny to read.. he's got a twisted sense of humor ;)