FTX: EU Northern Ireland Released

Thanks, Kevin. I have UK2000 Belfast Aldergrove Xtreme working fine with FTX Northern Ireland. In fact, I tweaked the UK2000 EGAA AFD file to adjust the runway centreline lighting and parking spot alignments, but that's a separate issue :) As for the FTX scenery itself......well, it's rather good for generic landclass scenery, but it doesn't beat photoscenery + Treescapes. Whilst there are plenty of buildings and trees (and this does look nice), it's difficult not to notice the little things that shout "artificial" at me. These include the "industrial areas with warehouses" that tend to look quite similar to each other, the artificial outlines of towns and cities (as opposed to a more natural blend between urban and rural areas), and the somewhat "angular" outlines of snow covered areas. Whilst they are light years ahead of the default scenery, they are not as convincing (to me) as the totally unique and natural feel that you get with realistic photoscenery.

I suspect that I will like the spring textures better, since the blend between low and high ground will probably look more natural (as opposed to the stark contrast between white snow and green grass that accentuates the "angular" look of adjacent textured areas that I mentioned above).

Nevertheless, it was worth the £19 that I paid. It has given me the opportunity to use UK2000 Belfast Aldergrove Xtreme (and an excuse to use another of Gary's superb Xtreme airports is well worth paying good money for), and I am looking forward to adding the photoreal Belfast City airport when it is released :thum:

One other point worth noting is that the other three main airports in Northern Ireland (EGAB Enniskillen St Angelo, EGAD Newtownards, and EGAE Londonderry Eglinton) are actually quite decent. Extra detail has been added (like fuel tanks, static aircraft, a few buildings, and animated people), and the layouts appear to be quite accurate (based on Google Earth and Bing images). I actually made some further improvements to EGAB with ADE (corrected a few taxiway markings, tweaked some others, and added one or two extra scenery objects), but that's just me being fussy! I may give EGAD and EGAE similar treatment.

I failed to get any screenshots of my flight from Islay to Aldergrove, because FSX crashed on me when I tried to load the FS Recorder replay.

Another little observation.......installing FTX Northern Ireland has changed my ES Treescapes trees for England and Wales to ORBx trees! They actually look very good, so I am going to keep them like that for now :)

Yep, that was something I noted in my Goodwood review ;)

Kevin,

I have noted a terrain anomaly in FTX Northern Ireland. I think it is located somewhere north and east of EGAA Belfast Aldergrove. What I see is a big ridge of terrain with buildings "climbing up steep slopes", and also "hanging over the edge" at the top! Can you confirm this on your PC?

EDIT: I have now seen several terrain mesh anomalies in FTX Northern Ireland. These are quite obvious, and really should have been sorted out prior to release. I have no intention of signing up as an ORBx forum member, but this is something that really needs to be fixed ASAP. Maybe someone with "ORBx clearance" could mention it?