Looking for a helicopter for FSX.

There's really only one, Phil - the DodoSim 206B, especially as you ramp up the difficulty/realism level. At Level 1, the DodoSim is more or less identical to the default 206B. At level 5, you have the most realistic flight dynamics, including torque induced yaw, retreating blade stall, vortex ring state (settling with power), amongst other characteristics. Jack Whaley-Baldwin (AircraftAviation) reviews the DodoSim here:

http://www.mutleyshangar.com/reviews/jack/206/206.htm

You can try the Aerosoft Huey-X, a reasonable second choice, but hard on fps (for my PC, anyway!) A good looker but lacking in some areas of flight dynamics (i.e. Aerosoft state categorically that the Huey doesn't suffer from vortex ring, but real pilots disagree!)

Plenty of freeware helicopters around, but beware, they mostly use FSX default air files, so flight dynamics are limited.

For really good advice though (Ha! - Ed) go to HoverControl's site, here:

http://www.hovercontrol.com/

Good Luck - and welcome to the real mad-house of rotorheads! :thum:

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

I have the Milviz Huey which I believe is a Nemeth design. Be ready for a no tooltips heli, you need to learn the switches by heart, not sure if this is a Nemeth thing or a Milviz thing. Still a nice flying bird. :)  

I can fly RC helicopters to a good standard (25 years experience) and did have a go in a Robinson R22 once but even better is that my mate who I flew RC helicopters with now owns and flies a full size Hughes 500.

The default FSX Jet Ranger seems to be easy to fly but not having flown the real thing I have no idea of it's realism.

The jury is still out on which simulated version to get.

Phil, I forgot to mention you will need a collective. Without one, your co-ordination will suffer and your flight experience will be poor. O.K., they don't come cheap, but you can make one if you're into DIY (i.e. woodwork!) and have an old joy-stick throttle hanging around. Good Luck!

Cheers - Dai. :cool: