Need Help

Hello to all:

Was checking "Google" and found the Ocala site and bump to Mutley's Hanger. We are in Ft Myers FL and have been looking for FSX help. My wife and I both are GA pilots and I have been doing the FSX for quite some time but cannot fin a group in Ft Myers have several  problems either related to age 78 or never really understanding FSX and computers. With help just built an I5 Intel 3570 9800GTX 16G ram MS MB TR5 CH Yoke, FS, RP and TQ with Saitek Cessna  trim wheel and Asus monitors. REX and Media Scenery Florida. Problem is making everything play nice together. Even though we have been doing this for a lot o years the transition from real world flying to comuter is quite different. Looking for a local group like the EAA has to meet and offer suggestions. My Gamer friend don't like FSX they help me build but don't like to play with FSX. Any thoughts and help appreciated.

Herman,

Welcome to Mutley's Hangar.  There is plenty of friendly help to go around here so hopefully we can assist.

To start, it will help us if you can provide more detail on exactly the problem you need help with.  This might be a progressive thing as we work through the list of hardware and software you have for your FSX set up.

Cheers

Andrew

Hi, Herman,

Welcome to MH. 

I'm one of the Ocala bunch, but still kind of far for hands-on help.  You might have a look at this thread - it's long and detailed and the original topic is a little off the mark of what you seem to be asking about but it eventually meanders into the best way to configure your software to get the best out of FSX and add-ons....

http://forum.mutleyshangar.com/index.php/topic/10350-oom-error-how-is-this-possible/page-1

Don't be bashful about asking questions - like most hobbies, this one has a lingo associated with it (the Monty Python fans liken it to "banter").  Anyway, if any of this is shooting over your head ask and someone will jump in and try to make it more understandable.

John

Thanks to you both for the quick response. Everything I have is working well computer wise.It's just that I need somebody to look over my shoulder and tell me my expectations are too high or what I have done is working well.If I just want to fly around the "patch" try not to add to many controllers, work with TIR5, or REX  try to do involved things like navigation changing frequencies etc. I don't seem to be able to switch from real world to FSX and computers. Maybe  my 78 yr old mind doesn't handle the transition very well. I was hoping for a local group like the EAA  or what you fellows do in Ocala. The computer types "gamers" I know are great for helping me build but don't have the patience for FSX. As I said things are working I'm just trying to do too much. I'll probably need to disconnect some stuff and be happy with basics or what I call basics. Go back to IFR "I follow roads"' I know Amazon and Saitek have a lot of switches, panels etc. I'm out of USB ports now but if I disconnect TRIR5 and a couple of others I'll have some plugs. Never could master TracIR well anyhow. Some great stuff in the forum and the Ocala NL look forward toreading it. Thanks

Herm

Hi Herman and welcome to the site. We love to help folks out here in the forum and the questions and answers also will help those that are to nervous to ask questions themselves, so in a way you will be adding to the greater good.  

Specific questions are best to help you on your way to setting up your sim. Most programs install easily and starting with FSX it depends on which version you have and whether or not you will need to install SP1 or SP2 to bring it up to speed. SP's are service packs(free downloads) that fix the original program and clear up any bugs found by users after the program was released. Without them many addons will not work.

The learning Center in FSX will explain a lot about how to control the plane in the sim world like how to set up FSX and how to use the radios and such. Patience and research are key words for this program. Over the years I have spent more time learning about FSX than actually flying. You can make it as simple or as hard as you like when it comes to flying in a sim. Good luck.

An externally powered USB hub is a great investment.  I just purchased this one from Amazon for $25 and it's very well done.  It adds ten USB ports.

http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-USB-Port-Power-Adapter/dp/B00483WRZ6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1379890063&sr=1-1&keywords=usb+10+port+hub

Being externally powered, i.e. has a wall transformer, the devices plugged into it get their power independently instead of having it supplied from the computer.  Non-powered hubs are available but depending on what's plugged into them, the computer may not be able to supply enough power to operate them.  USB ports are limited to 200 mA, so if the total current demand of all the devices plugged into an unpowered hub exceed that, an unacceptable voltage drop is likely, or the computer may just shut down the devices it can't properly serve.

I notice you have a SSD.  I'm not an expert but some here do use those and it's necessary to use them properly with FSX.  The thread I referenced in my first post above contains some of that.

John

Appreciate the external USB info.Reason for my disconnection comment was that more stuff I install or plug in more I worry about things interfering with each other.  An earlier comment refered to my FSXinstall. My apologies I have FSX with Acc that install includes SD1& 2. My FSX machine is dedicated I have a seperate tower runnung everything else. The machine is clean.  May be a problem with the SSD but way things are running I would be surprised.Thanks

If you have a dedicated machine running FSX with Acceleration on an i5 processor, running Win7 with 16 GB, you should have all the physical horsepower you need to run FSX half-past acceptably. 

I think if there are any issues it will be configuration or just learning curve things.  We need to get down to specific problems.  What exactly is happening or not happening, or what would you like to do that you cannot do. 

John

Hi,

and welcome to Mutleys, If I can be permitted to throw a spanner in the works, I think your cpu is ok'ish but your graphics card will not cope, it is far too old. If you change this you will see an immediate improvement in FSX , may I suggest that you get at the very least a gtx 460 but preferably a gtx 660 TI 2gb or 3gb  (which wont now break the bank) .

Another small point,

You must use the 64 bit version of windows as this will enable you to use more memory, 32 bit windows just cannot cope.

And stop going on about how young you are! Whilst FSX does have a  certain amount of youngsters who use it, I am willing to bet that the largest group of users are retired.

Speaking from my own experience here at Mutleys , I am sure you will find us far more communicative than other sites.

Thanks appreciate your thoughts. My "Guru" told me we were running 64 Bit maybe I misunderstood Windows 7. I'll start looking at Newegg and Amazon and see what I can find as a video card. You are right already I'm impressed with the response.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks John sorry  for the delay. Apologies for not being specific a lot of my probles stem from not transitioning from real world to FSX Take off, Landings VFR flying, maintaining basics rate of climb, cordination flying excpet for CH RP has always been fun and no problem. Sometimes I have a conflict with controllers since I don't understand FSUIPC or CH manager to keep things straight. Switching frequencies and not being able to switch and push buttons with hands is difficult. I look at the results with FL Media Scenery and REX. Can't seem to make my clouds look like the REX pictures. I get unhappy with what I see on the screen probably as somebody suggested a 660 or 670 would solve those problems. When I sent the e-mail was really looking for a local group all doing flt sim kind of like the EAA group we had up north some years ago I find most of my gamer friend even those who help me do a build don't have patience for FSX their LAN parties are about WOW and other games. I installed a demo of X-plane complicated and confusing think I'll stick with FSX. Realize even this is not real specific but I am not crashing and burning and probably should be happy compared to other folks I have seen fly FSX. If I get a real specific problem I'' shout enjoy the forum some great reading and ideas.

Herm