Hi, so I get that having an SSD will not affect FPS but that is not a problem for me; I do have some questions though so if someone can conclude that would be great...

1. I was thinking of installing FSX and all related scenery etc on the SSD - then having windows installed on the disc hard drive - will this improve load times for FSX? I am not bothered about windows load times. Why do people do the opposite?

2. If I install as above - will this improve blurries in the ground textures? I currently get blurries if I fly above 200 knots as the scenery does not seem to keep up with the plane - having this on an SSD in my view would mean the scenery can load faster?

My main concern is FSX and scenery loading times - I am not interested in how quick windows boots up as most people say that is what improvement they see :)

Thanks for your input,

Jim

fitting an ssd will have no effect at all on the blurries, all it will do is enable windows and fsx to load quicker. You will also notice that whereas old hard drives lasted for quite some time, you will be binning the SSD in a much shorter time scale.

fitting an ssd will have no effect at all on the blurries, all it will do is enable windows and fsx to load quicker. You will also notice that whereas old hard drives lasted for quite some time, you will be binning the SSD in a much shorter time scale.

Ah so probably not worth my while - my logic was if the scenery files can be read faster then in game when I am flying it would be able to 'keep up' with my 200 knots speed

I don't think I can justify the £150 price tag if it does not improve my gaming experience.

Jim

As the teacher said "I like your way of thinking" But you have to remember windows is the operating system that runs FSX.  So if you get windows operating right then you are half way there with FSX.

Many problems that are reported about FSX are in fact Windows problems, as people don't associate the 2 together (the O/S being far from our minds). 

What will help you is to just use the FSX settings page to help cure the blurriness.  Take your sliders back to default levels in scenery and just increase a little, do a fly test, if OK increase again. 

keep going a little each time until the dreaded blur appears then ease back a little.  As I am still learning like you, I have learnt that FPS is not as important as smoothness.

I am the opposite from what you suggest.  I have the faster hard drive for windows and FSX on a slower one, that way windows is reacting faster than FSX giving it a chance to render better.

I am in the middle of learning how to get a better smoother flow in FSX and if I succeed then I will share it with all.

So enjoy your blurries before they become a thing of the past.. :D  :D  :thum:   

I have just bought an SSD - I went for a 128GB drive; not too expensive but not too small for me to be able to put on an operating system and some other programmes.

Obviously will not be delivered for ages but when it arrives I will see how it holds out. I was thinking about doing the whole re-install everything soon anyway as I have too much junk on my current setup so a clean out would be good. 

A few things I am not looking forward to re-installing e.g. Radar Contact; UT2 as these have funny activations and modified databases etc etc so will be fiddly when putting them on again. I think UT has a database backup so I can copy the databases and put them back when installed. I just have to remember to backup the added AI repaints/models I entered.

Just realising this could take a while :)

Good stuff!

Jim

the problem with blurries is mostly cured by using nvidia inspector and then using Ryans suggestions as to how to set the graphics correctly, however make sure you have antisoptic or whatever it is ticked as well as AA

the problem with blurries is mostly cured by using nvidia inspector and then using Ryans suggestions as to how to set the graphics correctly, however make sure you have antisoptic or whatever it is ticked as well as AA

I don't get them all the time just when I fly fast - I use an ATI card so no nvidia tools for me.

I bought the drive anyway and it has a clone drive function so hopefully I'll just have to clone my OS drive and fly.

As long as your current C: drive has less than 120 (or, more realistically, less than 110 or so) Gb used, of course. You will definitely notice an improvement in startup times!    ;)

I cloned my C: drive (reduced to just Windoze and fsx) onto a 240Gb SSD. Later, I added a second SSD and load-balanced my growing fsx installation across the two SSDs. It works well for me.

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Bruce

(a.k.a. brian747)