So Where did you fly today?

Hi James, I was not in the services but there on business in 1982. Just loved the buzz of the place. Was it you who flew out there in a Britt and when?

Best,

Yes,

Depart = Eagle Airways Britannia, Gatwick - Kai-Tak September 1963 

Return = Eagle Airways Kai-Tak - Brize Norton August 1966

1st Battalion The South Wales Borderers. (of ZULU fame)

I was the one seen running away shouting "Mam" "Mam". :D  :D :D  :D  :thum:  

Today I flew a Sea Vixen from Farmborough to Cosford.......... so I am virtually there already for the show this weekend.

I remember when I first moved to near Farnborough back in 1980 ish , long before the british aerospace business estate, there was an officers club and golf course to the left, just off the queens hotel roundabout, and about 100 yards further was a large hangar on the right, and it was full of sea vixens and there were about 10 parked outside. looking on google earth  the hangar is no longer there ,

time stands still for no man !!

I flew from KRIR, Flabob Airport, CA to KSEZ, Sedona Airport, AZ for a change of pace from the UK where I have been lately.

Sedona airport sits on top of a hill and with the free FTXGlobal airport downloads for both airports it made for an almost enjoyable flight, except for the fact that, I CRASHED. :gaah:  It's been quite awhile and it actually got my nerve endings hopping.(funny how that happens when it's only a sim)  I stalled on approach just before the threshold in my brand spanking new carbon fiber Lancair. Being that the airport sits on a hill, their is not much room from both ends of the runway before the ground drops off. The Lancair has a great stall effect and warning buzzer but was no help at this point. All my fault, too low on approach, didn't watch my speed and was sightseeing at the wrong time, I got lazy.

The damages are bad enough that the insurance company will not return my calls. :(

Although a little hazy, at least the flight over the many mountain ranges in the southwestern part of the state was a treat. This was taken at the TNP VOR (Twenty Nine Palms)

29PalmsVOR.jpg

There's a USMC base at 29 Palms, known not too affectionately from Marines who have been there as, "Twenty-nine Stumps".  I guess that's what happens when you let Marines play with explosives.

John

Hehe, I have heard some nasty stories about that base and was glad I was never stationed there. I saw it during this last flight, it was around 15-20nm off my port wing a bit before I reached the VOR.  It looks like it is in the middle of nowheresville on the desert floor. Not quite Death Valley although I am sure it has it's hot days in the summer months. :D

The Marine base is called Twentynine Palms EAF(KNXP) and there is another civil airport nearby by the same name(KTNP), minus the EAF designation, that started off as a USAF glider training base, moved on up to a few warbirds and was turned over to the nearby town in the 40's. It also had four other axillary fields nearby, if you look on a map there are four other ones nearby that are now private strips, they must have been bought from the government, dirt cheap knowing them.

Think I'll stop off there on my next flight and do some strip hopping. :)

Where will I fly today? I,ve 727s parked at Paris, Vegas, Detroit, Nice. Oh decisions, decisions.

Avoid Paris, Vegas and Detroit - they're not Nice.

John

:D Thanks John, There again I might roam over to Rome or split for Split, a Trip to Tripoli.

Oh please :th_blush:

Avoid California - they're crazy there.  Oregon is merely odd and pride themselves on it.  Washington (not DC) is OK if you don't mind incessant rain.  That should make you feel right at home.

John

• 2 weeks later...