Yesterday we had rubbish weather here so decided to see what it was like to shoot a few ILS'S

the meteo direct from the airport was:

040700Z 12013kt 4000 -DZ BR OVC 005 20/18 1017

both fsgrw and Opus gave:

040708Z 12013 4000 RA OVC 005109/18 1017

so not much difference there then

REX? well they couldnt even get the day right

100736Z 1204kt 9999 few 050 bkn050 15/06 q1015 nosig

so with the consequence the opus,fsgrw weather looked like this

2013-10-4_9-50-37-404.png

and REX looked like this:

2013-10-4_9-41-51-139.png

only a small difference eh?

I love the textures in REX but haven't been happy with the weather matching up with RW. One other thing that bothers me is the way it loads the weather and changes like flipping a switch, clouds, no clouds, weather does just not do this. Is there something in REX that will smooth the transition better or do any of the other programs have a more realistic load transition. Thanks for any help with this.

I was finding the weather comparison somewhat suspect as well however after sliding the accuracy/stations slider all the way left its a bit better. I've also set the timing/visible distance of rendering so REX doesn't inject weather every five minutes (apparently REX wants to inject fresh weather just as I'm about to land...) which is so immersion breaking-- it's ok, but surely could be better.

I have to admit getting to the point in FSX where I would use FSX weather generator rather than REX weather. My current difficulty with REX is using ATIS services in P3D-- they don't match what visually is happening. For example I just landed at PHTO (Hilo) after accessing ATIS and realizing the weather system was a shambles (all happy sunny but REX reality was windy sea storm). Contacting Tower give me a pattern/runway 26. I'm like...uhhh really? Good thing my insurance is paid up. Luckily I decided to check the map and when I re-entered the sim, Tower needed to be contacted again. ATC gave me a better runway and permissions that matched the crap weather. Just as I land REX injects fresh weather and conditions are milder. A bit crazy. I love the challenge of dirty weather but not all the time so I've resorted to running P3D's static weather systems. Just my experience at the current time lol.

Kind regards,

Dave

>sliding the accuracy/stations slider all the way left its a bit better

Thanks, I'll give that a try but that doesn't mean that the transition, when it happens, will not be an in your face change. I still want the changes to happen as I fly along, just want it to be gradual and smoother.

>I've also set the timing/visible distance of rendering so REX doesn't inject weather every five minutes

I will give that a whorl too. :)

Thanks, that's a good work around. :)

I like the way the weather patterns change as I fly though areas. Seeing a storm front up ahead is really cool, what happens is the new REX weather loads and then boom, it's gone in a flash. Do any of the other programs do this smoother is my real question. Nigel has already pointed out which of the three is more accurate. Opus, as a program, looks pretty good and has lots of other features, FS Global Real Weather has a great local weather option. they are also building up the locations and I have heard good things about it's accuracy with RW weather so the main question still remains.

Out of the last two, which one has smoother load transitions compared to REX?

I just checked my settings Brett and I have the refresh at 60 minutes and weather surface now set to 'very large' (final step on the slider is 'whole world'). Wish I could answer your last question REX and stock FSX/P3D is all that I have experienced.

Kind regards,

Dave

In opus before you fly you can put in the flight plan and from and to - this has smoothed out the weather for me. Don't know about rex though.

People use rex for textures and opus for the weather engine - bit pricey but worth it in my opinion.

Hope you get it working out soon.

• 1 month later...

I have REX, so what I do is I load it run it once then un-install.  It leaves the cloud textures behind and they work as normal FSX weather..

There's no need at all to uninstall REX.

Once the textures are installed, they are installed.

The REX cloud textures will still be there no matter what weather engine you use. Many use REX for textures and a different weather engine.

I did it an easy way: installed REX on a separate drive since I was planning to rarely use it anyway (also to refrain from defragging rarely used REX textures continuously, as opposed to FSX folder).

Then, I used these settings (scroll down to the end of post) and injected the textures... That's it! :)

It's still on my drive in case I change my mood and want to recolour the skies but for weather I definitely use Opus - particularly like its wind shear and crosswind FX immediately before touchdown...